Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ Regarding my 6800 XT not displaying any video signal between boot up and macos being loaded, I connected my 6800 XT to the monitor via a DP to HDMI cable. DP connected on the 6800 XT and HDMI on the monitor. With this configuration, I have a video signal during post. But DP to DP no signal during post. I updated the BIOS to F20 and it is the same issue; video signal all the way if I use DP to HDMI cable but no video signal until macos loads if I use DP to DP cable. I am starting to thing something might be wrong with my monitor and this card. The monitor is a bit old and only compatible to DP V1.2 whereas the 6800 XT is DP V1.4a (although I would assume backward compatibility).
Couple of suggestions:
  • If your monitor has an option to switch between DP 1.1 and DP 1.2, set it to DP 1.1 (yes 1.1).
  • With DP-to-DP cable, try enabling CSM Support in BIOS.

Hello supaMac, all my UAD are TB-2!
I just use an adapter on Titan Ridge from TB3 to TB2 to make them work

**** Startech Adapter****

Hope it helps!

I just couldnt make the hotplug to work, not a big problem but should be good to have it working.

Maybe @CaseySJ have a tip to turn hot plug on!
All things comes to he (or She) that reads and tests...and re-tests!
I now have everything working 100% and can also record at 96Khz.
The last tidbit to figure out, was in Bios Thunderbolt menu
My Quad was finally working using TB-3 option card
( TB-1 not supported on the Giga Z490 Titan Ridge TB onboard chipset)

To get 96Khz working solid the following settings were made to my BIOS
Enable TBT ASPM - set to L1.1&1.2 This is something to do with Active State Power Management.
Enable LTR Something to do with Latency Reporting
Enable PTM
I have no idea why, but it works now and my UAD Quad with TB-3 Option Card works @96Khz.

Make sure to restart Your UAD devices on reboot!
Hoping this may help someone else in the same boat.

Attachments

• IMG_0383.jpeg
    IMG_0383.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Didn't solve my problem. I suspected my installation. How can I inspect this process?
Some questions:
  • Did you install macOS from scratch or did you migrate a previous system?
  • Did you use "Migration Assistant" to move any files from a previous system to the new system?
  • Which version of macOS are you running?
  • Did you follow the build guide in Post 1? Or did you use some other guide?
  • What is the make/model of your WiFi/BT card?

@xtreem.p

The AsRock board you suggested works with the Apollo Twin MK2! Thank you for the recommendation!

I didn't need SSDT or TB kexts.

I updated OC to latest and all kexts. Does fan control work for you with AMD power gadget with the Phantom Gaming 5? The RPM shows up, just can't change values. Boost works.

After the system crashes and restarts, are you able to see the crash log?

Big Question: Did you make a full bootable backup before installing 11.4?
Hi CasySJ

Thanks again for you time.

The solution for me was to switch back to the FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_Intel_I225-V.kext because the binary patch was the problem.

I had a full bootable 11.3.1 backup created with CCC, which I installed and then updated to 11.4 with succes.

Couple of suggestions:
  • If your monitor has an option to switch between DP 1.1 and DP 1.2, set it to DP 1.1 (yes 1.1).
  • With DP-to-DP cable, try enabling CSM Support in BIOS.
@CaseySJ yes I can select DP 1.1 but the monitor will limit 4k to 30Hz so same as HDMI. I'll try CSM option and let you guys know. Thanks.

Hi,

Lately I've been experiencing an increased POST time (from the moment I switch on the computer, until the Gigabyte logo is displayed).

At the beginning it used to take 1-2 seconds. Currently it takes 5-6 seconds.

Hardware changes were adding the Fenvi card and two additional internal SSD for additional storage and backup. I've been using same BIOS version from the beginning (F20).

I tried by flashing same BIOS version and configuring once more.

I don't shutdown or restart the computer often, but it's annoying nonetheless :)

Anyone experiencing similar issue?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi all,

Has anybody noticed in the BIOS there is an "AMD driver utility" or something similar but when you select this option it switches to a page displaying one option but you can't do anything? what is the purpose of this AMD option apart from being useless?

Hello @emistral,

Although I still haven't taken my 6800 XT out of the box -- hence no direct or first-hand experience with 6000-series GPU -- here are some questions and suggestions:
  • Are you saying that with a DisplayPort connection, even the Gigabyte BIOS and Splash Screen do not appear?
  • And OpenCore Picker also does not appear?
  • I have discovered that the Z490 Vision D gets very confused when we switch GPUs. Please try reinstalling the BIOS and then configuring its parameters once again.
    • Note: CMOS Reset alone is not enough.
    • Best thing is to fully reinstall the BIOS with the RX 6800 XT in Slot 1 and no other AMD GPU installed.
Then let us know whether or not DisplayPort connection works in BIOS and OpenCore. If it does, then check if you get 4K 60Hz as long as your monitor supports it.
@CaseySJ Forgot to answer your suggestions. so yes I flashed a new BIOS (from F5d to F20) and reset all the settings. I had only the 6800XT installed when flashing the BIOS. Still the same issue (no video signal from DP until macOS is loaded). I tried also switching to DP 1.1 as suggested in one of your more recent posts on the monitor and I could see a slight change in the sense that even though I could not see the logo and OC picker I could see the Apple logo and the progressing bar right when it starts loading macOS. It looked like as if for whatever reason nothing is displayed until after the OC picker starts booting macOS. If the monitor is on DP 1.2, I don't get to see the apple logo and progressing bar. I just get a black screen until macOS is loaded. That is really annoying because I don't really want to downgraded to HDMI 30Hz just for the sake of accessing the BIOS or booting Windows :(

Back