Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Thank you !
I didn't see the first note haha but the card link by blob32 is not available in my country :(
Thank you for your help !
Lucas
I think it’s okay to try the MQUPIN if you can buy it from a good retailer that allows easy returns.

@CaseySJ A while ago I had an issue when I plugged in my 6800XT and tried it as my primary dGPU. The issue was that if connecting the 6800XT to the monitor via the displayport, I had not video signal. Because at the time the 6800XT was not supported, I installed the 6800XT along with my 5600XT and disabled slot 2 where the 6800XT was in. The 5600XT was the primary card and booting was fine. Now that the 6800XT is supported in 11.4, I removed my 5600XT, moved the 6800XT from slot 2 to slot 1. But I still have not signal on boot. The system will boot, screen is black and eventually when Macos is loaded I'll have the video. I have no video between the system boot and macos loaded when using displayport. If using HDMI, it is ok. But but my max resolution is limited to 4k 30hz rather than 4k 60hz if using displayport. I remember someone having the same problem and a solution but I can't find the post in this thread. Any suggestion anybody? Bios setting is that it boots from slot #1.
Thanks

@CaseySJ A while ago I had an issue when I plugged in my 6800XT and tried it as my primary dGPU. The issue was that if connecting the 6800XT to the monitor via the displayport, I had not video signal. Because at the time the 6800XT was not supported, I installed the 6800XT along with my 5600XT and disabled slot 2 where the 6800XT was in. The 5600XT was the primary card and booting was fine. Now that the 6800XT is supported in 11.4, I removed my 5600XT, moved the 6800XT from slot 2 to slot 1. But I still have not signal on boot. The system will boot, screen is black and eventually when Macos is loaded I'll have the video. I have no video between the system boot and macos loaded when using displayport. If using HDMI, it is ok. But but my max resolution is limited to 4k 30hz rather than 4k 60hz if using displayport. I remember someone having the same problem and a solution but I can't find the post in this thread. Any suggestion anybody? Bios setting is that it boots from slot #1.
Thanks
Hello @emistral,

Although I still haven't taken my 6800 XT out of the box -- hence no direct or first-hand experience with 6000-series GPU -- here are some questions and suggestions:
  • Are you saying that with a DisplayPort connection, even the Gigabyte BIOS and Splash Screen do not appear?
  • And OpenCore Picker also does not appear?
  • I have discovered that the Z490 Vision D gets very confused when we switch GPUs. Please try reinstalling the BIOS and then configuring its parameters once again.
    • Note: CMOS Reset alone is not enough.
    • Best thing is to fully reinstall the BIOS with the RX 6800 XT in Slot 1 and no other AMD GPU installed.
Then let us know whether or not DisplayPort connection works in BIOS and OpenCore. If it does, then check if you get 4K 60Hz as long as your monitor supports it.

Thanks
Restart your monitor (physically detach power cable), in settings choose Displays - Default for display, and then choose Scaled - Your resolution. You will get 60Hz

Hello @emistral,

Although I still haven't taken my 6800 XT out of the box -- hence no direct or first-hand experience with 6000-series GPU -- here are some questions and suggestions:
  • Are you saying that with a DisplayPort connection, even the Gigabyte BIOS and Splash Screen do not appear?
  • I have discovered that the Z490 Vision D gets very confused when we switch GPUs. Please try reinstalling the BIOS and then configuring its parameters once again.
    • Best thing is to fully reinstall the BIOS with the RX 6800 XT in Slot 1 and no other AMD GPU installed.
Then let us know whether or not DisplayPort connection works in BIOS and OpenCore. If it does, then check if you get 4K 60Hz as long as your monitor supports it.
To answer your question, yes, with a DisplayPort connection, the screen is blank from powering up the system to macOS being loaded. Once macOS is loaded, I have a signal and video is displayed.
@lewys the issue is not really the 60Hz, but the fact is that I don't see the Gigabyte logo or the OC picker. That's annoying if I want to pick Windows to boot or access the BIOS. I can use HDMI instead of DP but I won't get 60Hz. That is a limitation of my monitor (4K @ 30Hz on HDMI or 4K @ 60Hhz on DP).

Hello @emistral,

@CaseySJ @lewys I have fixed the issue. This is what I did:
1. In a non related hackintosh forum, lots of people have the same issue on boot with RDNA 2 cards. One of them fixed the issue by having 2 PCIe power supply cables (6 pins + 2 pins extensions) coming from the power supply rather than using only one of those PCIe power supply cables which have a splitter (2x 6 pins/8 pins). The 2 power supply connectors on my 6800 XT were connected to only one PCIe power supply cable with a splitter at one end. I am now using 2 PCIe power supply cables.

2. I disconnected the monitor from the main power supply, waited 30s then plugged it back.

I could then see the OC picker. I missed the gGigabyte logo but that is normal, my monitor is slow to react. By the time it wakes up, logo has gone and picker is on the screen. So, it is fixed, but not sure which of the 2 above is the solution. I am suspecting the power supply cables.

I had a kind of the same issue, and it turned out to be the TB3 card in my Apollo Quad. I returned the card and got another TB3 card. Worked right off the bat. I have the same system config pretty much too.
Can you share a screenshot of your TB BIOS settings? I have to be missing something. I picked up a used Apollo Duo with the TB 3 card, and now I get a "Thunderbolt Accessories and not supported on this Mac" message. Yet the UAD Satellite is connected and working.... HAHAHA

Hello @emistral,

Although I still haven't taken my 6800 XT out of the box -- hence no direct or first-hand experience with 6000-series GPU
You still haven’t used the 6800XT lol ? What are you waiting on ?

You still haven’t used the 6800XT lol ? What are you waiting on ?
Something is coming soon; probably a couple of weeks to go. Nothing more shall I say... ;)

Does anyone has any idea how to disable SIP on big sure

I tried almost everything and i get this:
Schermafbeelding 2021-05-28 om 23.31.01.png

but I can't change nothing in system>library

So, please, if anyone know how to get this thing open, let me know. I want to enable RGB mode . However, to do that I need to add somthing in system > library .

Back