Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Updated without any problems and all works fine. Also, my Fenvi card based on Intel AX200 with the latest OpenIntelWireless drivers works fine, but ax mode is still unavailable :( Hope it will be added in the release version.

You might find out that iStat Menus won't work with iMac20,2, but you may well know it already. Doesn't work on iMacPro1,1 either but it does when using iMac19,1.

@m4rk0,

iStat Menus working great with iMac20,2, no problems at all :-

Screenshot 2021-05-26 at 15.18.45.png

I also had no problem running iStat Menus with the iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS.

Can I ask you a question?

If disabling the iGPU, do you believe the x264 encoding using Intel Quick Sync would be carried by the installed AMD card? Do you see any advantage in that?

I personally think that IQS is way better than the AMD Video encoders/decoders, it's more efficient and results in better quality video .. at least to my eyes. However this opinion is based on my experience with Polaris and Vega based GPU's. I think AMD made significant improvements to video encode/decode on both Navi-1 and Navi-2 GPU's but Ive never used one of those GPU's personally so I can't really say for sure.

If you want to force all video encode/decoded on to the AMD GPU then the best way is to use the iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS. There are a few tricks that can be used to force use of the AMD GPU when using a iMacXX,X SMBIOS but in my experience none of those hacks work as well as using the iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS.

MacOS is probably the best optimised OS on the planet when it comes to IQS which is used for many unique features such as Airplay, Sidecar, Finder Preview ... etc, so in my opinion if you have an Intel CPU + IGPU along side a AMD dGPU then you really should configure the IGPU as headless and gain the extra performance/features of the IGPU. In certain compute tasks MacOS will use both dGPU and IGPU together. Obviously the compute performance of a IGPU is nowhere near that of a dGPU but it is extremely efficient largely down to Intel's highly optimized micro code in the IGPU/CPU.

One exception to the above is video DRM, which is a bit hit and miss when using a iMacXX,X SMBIOS, if video DRM is a high priority then you should use the iMacPro1,1 see this guide for more details on DRM :-

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Anyone want to explore a macOs 11.3x bug with me? Open a PDF in preview, then search for a word. with the word still in the search bar, try to highlight some text (to copy/paste). This results in a beachball for me... anyone else?
Fortunately no beachball in 11.5 public beta. Because 11.4 is officially released, are you planning to update soon?

Hello there !

I want to add an extension card for both Bluetooth/WiFi and Airdrop on my build. Is this solution still fine ?

MQUPIN Fenvi FV-T919

Thank you,
Lucas

Thank you !
I didn't see the first note haha but the card link by blob32 is not available in my country :(
Thank you for your help !
Lucas

Back