Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

@xtreem.p,

Can you offer any suggestions to @777Buzz regarding his UAD Apollo on AMD Ryzen MSI B450 Pro Carbon motherboard with GC-Titan Ridge?

Perhaps some BIOS settings should be checked, such as Above 4G decoding. Or revert back to previous UAD firmware?
I would like to know how to revert to the previous UAD firmware. I kept Above 4G Encoding enabled. Since I've tried all the steps that got the Apollo working such as:

-Uninstalling all UAD software (and removing UAD items in user/Library/Caches/)
-Reset NVRAM
-

Boot with device off, on, and unplugging PC for 5 mins and pressing power button.

One thing I remembered was that when I first unplugged PC (right before I booted and it worked the first time, when applying my modified SSDT) was that my MSI lights rent red (i set them to blue in windows a while ago) then went back to blue the second reboot (after third reboot Apollo stopped being detected). Red is the default state and has heppened before during a power outage. I'll double check BIOS in case it reset.

What's off is how the Apollo actually worked for me at some point. I haven't given up yet. Or else it wouldn't have ever worked. However I've heard CaseySJ mention that B550 boards aren't that stable with Apollo. Has any updates to B550 Gigabyte motherboard increased UAD stability? I want to at least keep using my Ryzen CPU. That's why I'd like to know of any board (maybe Asrock Phantom or Taichi) that work the best with UAD TB products.

Thank you for the troubleshooting.

edit: On the first reboot: Apollo was plugged in, but not recognized in PCI System info. "pci1a00,2" appeared under titan ridge (first screenshot) then when I (either) rebooted second time, or turned on interface, the Apollo MKii appeared. Now there's no pci1a00,2 or Apollo in PCI after unplugging PC for an hour because of a storm.

edit 2: I borrowed a MacBook and downgraded firmware using UAD 9.02. Everything worked on the 2017 MacBook. When I tried with the hackintosh the same issue persists. I wish I knew what exact firmware it shipped with because I know that one worked.

I’m going to try UAD 9.8 tomorrow for Mojave support

Last edited:
Finally ironed out all the little quirks of this golden build. I had a few USB devices that were mainly for Windows machine, and was trying to figure out how to keep them in the hackintosh build without causing any sleep/stability issues. One of them was Aquacomputer Quadro that was preventing the computer from sleeping properly. I purchased a windows only PCIe USB card and put it on the bottom PCIe slot. Connected all the USB devices that are not need for the hackintosh expecting I will have to either create a SSDT or remap my USB, but voila, now sleep works and all the devices connected to the PCIe card are invisible to the macOS and no need for a custom SSDT.

So to summarize, if you have any USB devices (fan controllers, joystick, VR headset, etc) that you do not need to access in macOS, just purchase a generic windows-only card, and hide them from your macOS.

Hi @777Buzz lately im having issues getting the Apollo Duo Mk1 to show up at all with my hacks. Its very strange since the satellites are showing up and even hotpluggable. I tried with Apple TB3-TB2 adapter and also Startech TB3-TB2 adapter... none of these are showing up. So im thinking of ditching the Apollo completely. Sorry that i cannot come with a solution for you.

Hi @777Buzz lately im having issues getting the Apollo Duo Mk1 to show up at all with my hacks. Its very strange since the satellites are showing up and even hotpluggable. I tried with Apple TB3-TB2 adapter and also Startech TB3-TB2 adapter... none of these are showing up. So im thinking of ditching the Apollo completely. Sorry that i cannot come with a solution for you.
If the firmware update to the minimum Mojave will handle which is 9.8 doesn’t allow device to be recognized which motherboard should I be considering? I’ll try a few different UAD firmwares next day.

Do you know of any X570 motherboards that work well with UAD products like any by AsRock? In the Vision D thread someone mentioned that B550 isn’t as stable as AsRock. I’d prefer to keep my CPU.

On that note, i can say that my Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3 works great! Apollo and Satellite TB3 OCTO are working fine, however Satellite TB2 OCTO will show up but will hang when loading plugins, even with an OCTO PCI-e in a TB3 chassi is behaving the same way. So conclusion Apollo+Satellite TB3 OCTO/QUAD works with this motherboard.

My hacks -
Gigabyte B550 Vision D - UAD Apollo and Satellite intermittenly working.
Gigabyte Z590 Vision D - UAD Apollo (not showing) Satellite TB3 and Satellite TB2 working. Even with PCI-e OCTO in a TB3 chassi.
Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3 - UAD Apollo and Satellite TB3 are working. Satellite TB2 - not working.
Gigabyte z390 Designare - Purrrfect - all working.

However everything is working great with my Macbook Air M1 (i sold my mac Mini M1).

Last edited:
On that note, i can say that my Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3 works great! Apollo and Satellite TB3 OCTO are working fine, however Satellite TB2 OCTO will show up but will hang when loading plugins, even with an OCTO PCI-e in a TB3 chassi is behaving the same way. So conclusion Apollo+Satellite TB3 OCTO/QUAD works with this motherboard.

My hacks -
Gigabyte B550 Vision D - UAD Apollo and Satellite intermittenly working.
Gigabyte Z590 Vision D - UAD Apollo (not showing) Satellite TB3 and Satellite TB2 working. Even with PCI-e OCTO in a TB3 chassi.
Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3 - UAD Apollo and Satellite TB3 are working. Satellite TB2 - not working.
Gigabyte z390 Designare - Purrrfect - all working.

However everything is working great with my Macbook Air M1 (i sold my mac Mini M1).
Thanks, I’ll look into the

X570 Phantom Gaming 5-ITX/TB3​

Did you need to flash the AsRock board?

No, I didn't do anything. I tried the TB3-SSDT that @CaseySJ provided, but that stopped the computer from shutting off. Only thing is that i turn on all the devices before turning on the computer. That's it.

Can you please clarify:
  • Which Samsung SSDs were in the system when you reported the OpenCore 0.6.6 boot problem?
  • And what is the remaining disk space on each one?
    • 970 Evo Plus --> X MB or GB free
    • 960 Evo --> X MB or GB free
    • other?
The amount of free space on a SSD might be a factor.
Hi @CaseySJ, I'm now about to build a new Hack using OpenCore and was intending on using 2 x 970 EVO Plus (1 x 256 for boot and 1 x 512 for cache). I'm now wondering if I should avoid these M.2's? I've attached the spec list to see if you see any further issues with the build. I will also be purchasing separately:
-Syba 10Gbe Card - Always had good success with these on previous builds
-Fenvi HB-1200 - Never tried these but believe this is the one to go for

Any advice or pointers would be great.

Many thanks.

Alex

Attachments

• 2092679 (1).pdf
    292.1 KB · Views: 39
Hi @CaseySJ, I'm now about to build a new Hack using open core and was intending on using 2 x 970 Evo Plus (1 x 256 for boot and 1 x 512 for cache). I'm now wondering if I should avoid these M.2's? I've attached the spec list to see if you see any further issues with the build.
Hello @alexjibcam,

Good question about NVMe SSDs. Please have a look at this article posted by vit9696. My general recommendation is to completely avoid all Samsung NVMe SSDs. They are unnecessarily expensive and suffer from various issues. Not worth it.
Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 8.09.38 AM.png

I will also be purchasing separately:
-Syba 10Gbe Card - Always had good success with these on previous builds
-Fenvi HB-1200 - Never tried these but believe this is the one to go for

Both the Syba and Fenvi are okay to use.

Also note that the AMD 6800 XT in your PC Parts List is only compatible with macOS 11.4 and newer. MacOS 11.4 is still in beta, although the release version might be out as early as next week.

Hello @alexjibcam,

Good question about NVMe SSDs. Please have a look at this article posted by vit9696. My general recommendation is to completely avoid all Samsung NVMe SSDs. They are unnecessarily expensive and suffer from various issues. Not worth it.
View attachment 519076

Both the Syba and Fenvi are okay to use.

Also note that the AMD 6800 XT in your PC Parts List is only compatible with macOS 11.4 and newer. MacOS 11.4 is still in beta, although the release version might be out as early as next week.
Perfect, yes, thanks. Re the 6800XT. I expect my build to arrive mid June. Fingers crossed, at which time a full release of 11.4 should be out! I'm gonna change those Samsungs to save the hassle. Thanks for that info!

Back