Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

If sleep was working before installing the 6800XT -- and nothing else has changed except for the 6800XT -- then there might not be anything we can do. Some suggestions:
  • Remove any devices from the 6800XT's USB-C port to see if that makes a difference.
  • Physically remove the 6800XT and revert back to previous setup to double check that sleep/wake works. This will conclusively identify the 6800XT as the culprit.
  • There is also a general sleep aid here. However, the key is to isolate variables systematically until the offending device is identified.
I remembered now that my Aquacomputer Quad fan controller was keeping the computer awake on my z390 mackintosh, and had to disable that specific USB port. Can you point me to how to disable one of the internal USB port in Mac? Before this install, I was using USBMap tool with a custom kext.

Should I enable all ports in the config.plist and use USBMap tool? Or is there a way to disable the port in the SSDT?

I remembered now that my Aquacomputer Quad fan controller was keeping the computer awake on my z390 mackintosh, and had to disable that specific USB port. Can you point me to how to disable one of the internal USB port in Mac? Before this install, I was using USBMap tool with a custom kext.

Should I enable all ports in the config.plist and use USBMap tool? Or is there a way to disable the port in the SSDT?
It's very easy to do this, as follows:
  • First run IORegistryExplorer or Hackintool --> USB to identify the exact port you wish to disable.
  • Then add it to boot-args using this argument: uia_exclude=HSxx where HSxx should be replaced by the actual port name.
  • However, on the Z490 Vision D all internal USB 2 devices are connected via a hub to the same port: HS11. If you disable this port then all devices connected to both of the internal USB 2 headers will be disabled.
  • It might be better to connect the Aquacomputer Quad fan controller to a USB port on the rear IO panel via a suitable cable and then disable that particular port in macOS using the uia_exclude=HSxx boot argument.

It's very easy to do this, as follows:
  • First run IORegistryExplorer or Hackintool --> USB to identify the exact port you wish to disable.
  • Then add it to boot-args using this argument: uia_exclude=HSxx where HSxx should be replaced by the actual port name.
  • However, on the Z490 Vision D all internal USB 2 devices are connected via a hub to the same port: HS11. If you disable this port then all devices connected to both of the internal USB 2 headers will be disabled.
  • It might be better to connect the Aquacomputer Quad fan controller to a USB port on the rear IO panel via a suitable cable and then disable that particular port in macOS using the uia_exclude=HSxx boot argument.
That was my concern. On Z390, the internal port on the MB used to be two separate ports(HS11/HS12). For Z490, I had to connect both the Fenvi and Aquacomputing to the same port. Will have to do some creative rewiring to make this work. Thanks again for the help.

This works surprisingly well. On my AMD B550 Vision D I connected internal Bluetooth to an external USB port via this cable (for experimental purposes). Sleep/Wake still worked!
Yup. They've saved me alot of trouble over the years.

There's also internal USB2 hubs that also work too: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KK8HP5P/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

I have this guy hooked up in my rig right now to connect my cooler, rgb fan controllers, etc., sleep/wake works well.

Thanks, guys! I just ordered one.
On a separate note, I have some USB devices that I am only using for Windows. I am thinking of putting a windows-only compatible PCIe USB card, and plug all the USB devices that are not needed for Mac. Do you think this will work? Will I need to use some sort of SSDT to disable one of the PCIe slots (I am thinking the bottom most)? I am wondering if this will create any sleep issue. Or should I go with Mac compatible USB card like Inateck and disable it via boot arg?

I already have this one, but this will still be using the internal hub and I would not be able to disable individual port, correct?
Good question. I think so, the root USB port will still be that of the motherboard's internal USB hub (e.g., HS12 in my case), so I don't think you can disable one of the individual ports of the hub in the link.

In my case, the offending device that was causing sleep/wake issues was the Fenvi's bluetooth controller, so rather than connect it to the internal USB hub, I just connected it to an external port via the internal-to-external USB cable, and set that port to 'Internal.' And voila no more sleep issues.

I've used that same Fenvi card on another motherboard's internal USB hub for years without issue, so I don't know what to make of it.

Hi Everyone,

I've updated to 11.3.1 and it's borked my usb configuration and I've lost bluetooth with my Fenvi card

@CaseySJ I've tried both of your latest amls (V2 and V3) but neither are working for me.

What's weirding me out is I seem to have gained additional port names that I've never seen before!

Any idea what xx01 --> xx04 are?

This is my current port configuration using the V3 SSDT

Any help appreciated as I seem to be going around in circles on this one.

Screenshot 2021-05-17 at 19.44.26.png

Back