Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hi,

I'm considering purchasing the Z590 Vision D motherboard and inquiring if it will work well with Big Sur.

Apparently it is. Are there special SSDTs / kexts for this motherboard (I'm thinking of USB ports in particular)?

Sorry I read the first and last pages of this topic but didn't see the answer...

Thanks ;)

It fully boots, then crashes within about a minute.
I am using iMac20,2. Just tried 19,1 and it still freezes. The problem is I cannot mount the EFI partition of the OS drive. It just does not stay up long enough.
I received my 6800 XT yesterday, but haven't taken it out of the box yet.
  • If you (a) log out of iCloud (important) and then (b) temporarily change the System Product Name to MacPro7,1 and reboot, does the system still crash?
If so, feel free to compress and post your EFI folder with serial numbers removed from PlatformInfo.

I received my 6800 XT yesterday, but haven't taken it out of the box yet...
I am soooo envious. Have fun with it. Is it gold plated? :D

Hi,

I'm considering purchasing the Z590 Vision D motherboard and inquiring if it will work well with Big Sur.

Apparently it is. Are there special SSDTs / kexts for this motherboard (I'm thinking of USB ports in particular)?

Sorry I read the first and last pages of this topic but didn't see the answer...

Thanks ;)
There are some issues to be aware of regarding the Z590 Vision D:
  • If you use an 11th Gen Intel processor, the iGPU is not macOS compatible so an AMD GPU (or ancient Nvidia GPU) is required.
  • Thunderbolt hot plug does not work. We believe this is due to a BIOS problem so it could be fixed in the future.
  • We do not currently have a solution for enabling Thunderbolt Bus. The Thunderbolt 4 firmware is sufficiently different from Thunderbolt 3 (i.e. Maple Ridge in the Z590 versus Titan Ridge in the Z490) such that previous firmware modifications don't work here. But enabling Thunderbolt Bus is not necessary for more than 90% of Thunderbolt devices.
    • I'm just mentioning this issue for the sake of completeness.
Barring these issues, macOS Big Sur has already been installed successfully on the Z590 Vision D with both 10th and 11th Gen Intel processors. This thread is highly recommended:

CaseySJ,
With the release of the Beta 11.4, I am finally able to go back to my hackintosh with the 6800XT in the system. I just tried to install the beta using your guide and I can boot into the installation screen but soon after the computer freezes and I have not able to complete the installation. No issues until I enter the installation page, so the issue must be with my EFI set up. I've used both your SSDT as well as the prebuilt from OC 0.6.9, but no difference. Tried with or without WEG and adgpmod=pickera, and no difference. Right now, I have to use iGFX as the first display device to get to the install screen.

I currently have all three NVME slopt puplated (Samsung EVO 970 in the first slot for WIN10, then WD Black M.2 for the next two slots for macOS and data. I have two additional SATA drives in the channel 2 &3 to avoid any conflicts in the PCIe lanes, but at the moment have disconnected them to avoid any issues. The only thing I have not done so far is to build my onw SSDTs like I did with Z390 Designare, but I am not sure if that will make any difference.

Let me know if you have any insight or direction to share. You mentioned earlier that there was an issue with IONVMEfamily.kext causing some kernel panic. I think I've seen that one one of my screens but thought it's been resolved with the latest beta releases.

Looking forward to getting your help again. Thanks for all the hard work you put in for this community.
Hello, just curious, and you may have already checked this, but just in case, are you using the Samsung 970 EVO or the 970 EVO Plus? If the Plus, then are you using the 2B2QEXM7 firmware? The original firmware was causing kernel panics on macOS.

Last edited:
Hello, just curious, and you may have already checked this, but just in case, are you using the Samsung 970 EVO or the 970 EVO Plus? If the Plus, then are you using the 2B2QEXM7 firmware? The original firmware was causing kernel panics on macOS.
I am using the 970 EVO with the latest firmware, but have Windows on it. My Big Sur is on WD Black 500GB NVMe.

But, I found out the issues after spending the last 12 hours trying to get to the bottom. Turns out, my install is stable if I use DP port on my 6800XT instead of TB3 port on the Vision D. I don't have my firmware flashed, but I have a feeling it might be the TB SSDT that is not working properly. Do you have a suggestion? I migrated from Z390 Designare, and am wondering if I could use the old Thunderbolt SSDT for Z390 on this board. As I have Caldigit TB dock, Thunderbolt feature will be important especially for the dual boot setup where all the peripherals are connected to the dock. My monitor is Thinkvision TB3 32" which worked flawlessly with the Z390 Desginare and Catalina.

I am using the 970 EVO with the latest firmware, but have Windows on it. My Big Sur is on WD Black 500GB NVMe.

But, I found out the issues after spending the last 12 hours trying to get to the bottom. Turns out, my install is stable if I use DP port on my 6800XT instead of TB3 port on the Vision D. I don't have my firmware flashed, but I have a feeling it might be the TB SSDT that is not working properly. Do you have a suggestion? I migrated from Z390 Designare, and am wondering if I could use the old Thunderbolt SSDT for Z390 on this board. As I have Caldigit TB dock, Thunderbolt feature will be important especially for the dual boot setup where all the peripherals are connected to the dock. My monitor is Thinkvision TB3 32" which worked flawlessly with the Z390 Desginare and Catalina.
When you use the TB port for video, is the video output coming from the iGPU or the GPU (via the motherboard’s DisplayPort input from a DisplayPort output on the GPU)?

Using the iGPU may be causing the CPU to lock up if you don’t have DVMT preallocated set to 96MB or more.

Last edited:
When you use the TB port for video, is the video output coming drom the iGPU or the GPU (via the motherboard’s DisplayPort input from a DisplayPort output on the GPU)?

Using the iGPU may be causing the CPU to lock up if you don’t have DVMT preallocated set to 96MB or more.
I use the headless mode for the iGPU, but the video signal goes from the 6800XT to the motherboard passthrough then out from the TB port into my Caldigit dock.

Back