Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

So the iPhone works and on Z590 Vision D (both data transfer and charging)?
Fixed it. It is HS01. Pretty sure I forgot to change it to type 9. I believe I've made that mistake on an older build and it still work, maybe I'm remembering wrong, but mapping HS01 as type 9 works and I can see my iPhone in the Finder sidebar.

To keep with 15 ports, I have disabled USB 2 on the Thunderbolt ports and have enabled SS01 Type 9. I'm assuming that is USB3 on the front port. Do you know if there are any confirmed working adapters that will convert a USB type connector to USB-C so I can easily test the USB-C over USB3 ports? I saw some on Amazon but aren't sure if there's any quirks to look out for.

Fixed it. It is HS01. Pretty sure I forgot to change it to type 9. I believe I've made that mistake on an older build and it still work, maybe I'm remembering wrong, but mapping HS01 as type 9 works and I can see my iPhone in the Finder sidebar.
Now that's more like it. And yes, Type 9 applies to reversible USB-C.
  • USB A, USB B, and USB C refer to the type of the connector and nothing more.
    • Letters A, B, C refer to connector types.
  • The data protocols are USB 1.x, USB 2.x, USB 3.x.
    • Numbers 1.x, 2.x, 3.x refer to data transfer protocols.
All USB data protocols are supported on all USB connector types. Because the physical HS01 port is USB C connector type, it must be set to Type 9. Doesn't matter if it's a logical HSxx port or a logical SSxx port. HS and SS refer to data protocols, but the Type field refers to the connector type.

To keep with 15 ports, I have disabled USB 2 on the Thunderbolt ports and have enabled SS01 Type 9. I'm assuming that is USB3 on the front port. Do you know if there are any confirmed working adapters that will convert a USB type connector to USB-C so I can easily test the USB-C over USB3 ports? I saw some on Amazon but aren't sure if there's any quirks to look out for.
I would think that any such connector with good user ratings will be safe to buy! Those Amazon ratings are a godsend...

Hello @verendus,

Some suggestions:
  • Because you have a WD M.2 SSD, it would be best to stay on OpenCore 0.6.9 but replace NVMeFix.kext with the previous version (1.0.6), which can be downloaded from here.
  • If that alone does not help, then it may be necessary to complete the installation with iGPU only. After install is done, then 6800 XT can be installed.
  • Note that BIOS and config.plist changes must be made carefully as follows:
To Install with iGPU:
  • Physically remove 6800 XT
  • Set BIOS --> Initial Display Output to iGFX
  • Use config-Intel-iGPU.plist as the starting point
When 11.4 is fully installed and tested, then switch to 6800 XT as follows:
  • Use config-AMD-GPU.plist as the starting point and transfer your serial numbers into this file
  • Then rename the file to config.plist and ensure it is in the EFI partition of the boot disk
  • Shutdown and flip power switch on PSU to OFF
  • Install RX 6800 XT
  • Detach video cable from rear IO panel and connect it to RX 6800 XT
  • Boot the system and immediately press Del to enter BIOS Setup
  • Set BIOS --> Initial Display Output to PCIe 1 Slot
  • Save BIOS changes and exit
  • At OpenCore Picker, boot your macOS 11.4 disk
  • Does it work?
OK, I was able to complete the installation. Now, when I switched the config.plist to AMD version, and enable the 6800XT in the bios as the initial gfx, the computer boots fine, then within about a minute or two, it will freeze. I am wondering if there is an issue with boot argument? Or should I try the older version NVMEFix.kext?

OK, I was able to complete the installation. Now, when I switched the config.plist to AMD version, and enable the 6800XT in the bios as the initial gfx, the computer boots fine, then within about a minute or two, it will freeze. I am wondering if there is an issue with boot argument? Or should I try the older version NVMEFix.kext?
Yes first switch to older NVMeFix.kext.

Yes first switch to older NVMeFix.kext.
I just tried the NVMeFix.kext v1.0.6, and it's still freezing with kernel panic. I am using the reference 6800XT, so it should work. Tried with adpgmod=pickera removed, and the same result.

I just tried the NVMeFix.kext v1.0.6, and it's still freezing with kernel panic. I am using the reference 6800XT, so it should work. Tried with adpgmod=pickera removed, and the same result.
Does the system fully boot up and then crash when you’re using macOS? Or does it crash before fully booting up?

What system product name are you using? iMac19,1?

Does the system fully boot up and then crash when you’re using macOS? Or does it crash before fully booting up?

What system product name are you using? iMac19,1?
It fully boots, then crashes within about a minute.
I am using iMac20,2. Just tried 19,1 and it still freezes. The problem is I cannot mount the EFI partition of the OS drive. It just does not stay up long enough.

Last edited:
Does anyone have issue that USB ports are keeping supply 5V power after shutdown ?
I have it permanently after macOS shutdown. After reboot to Win10 and shutdown USB power finally turns off
For now I’m fixing it by enabling the Erp in the Bios settings. But it would be good to find some other solution (maybe custom SSDT) because my MB turns power off then on immediately after powering up when erp is enabled. I have one non-solid state drive so I’m afraid this behavior might break it

could someone suggest a way to fix i without enabling ErP?

Now we can conclude that the problem lies with the kext itself.

Not sure if it's any different from yours, but I was able to get mine to work like this:

Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 3.14.08 AM.png

Back