Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Have you tried this on an Intel system? If so, does it work?

Just attempted it on the Z490 Vision D with 6-Core i5-10400, but unable to change the CPU name. CPU name actually becomes blank and states only the frequency (2.9 GHz).

View attachment 518194

revcpu = 1 is for non-Intel CPUs.

For Intel, set revcpu = 0

(I updated the original post to avoid future confusion.)

Last edited:
revcpu = 1 is for non-Intel CPUs.

For Intel, set revcpu = 0

(I updated the original post to avoid future confusion.)
I tried both settings. But revcpu might need to be 1 in both cases. The description is a bit unclear, but it suggests that the setting is 1 by default on AMD systems and needs to be set to 1 manually for Intel systems.

Nevertheless, the CPU name itself does not seem to change on Intel systems running Big Sur 11.4 (haven’t tried earlier versions).

I tried both settings. But revcpu might need to be 1 in both cases. The description is a bit unclear, but it suggests that the setting is 1 by default on AMD systems and needs to be set to 1 manually for Intel systems.

Nevertheless, the CPU name itself does not seem to change on Intel systems running Big Sur 11.4 (haven’t tried earlier versions).
On Catalina, I was also unable to get it to work on Intel with revcpu set to either 0 or 1.

On Catalina, I was also unable to get it to work on Intel with revcpu set to either 0 or 1.
Now we can conclude that the problem lies with the kext itself.

Is the description ever unclear.

The bottom section is poorly worded, suggesting that Intel is 0, or, disable is 0:
"revcpu=value to enable (1, non-Intel default)/disable (0, Intel default) CPU brand string patching"

At the top of the readme file this is contradicted by:
"CPU brand string patch for non-Intel CPUs (can be forced for Intel with revcpu=1)"

I'm now reading the page as perhaps meaning that revcpu is assigned 0 to disable string patching, 1 for Non-Intel CPUs, and a specific value for Intel, such as setting revcpu to a value of "3841" for ≥ 8-core CPUs or "1537" for 2-6 core CPUs.

I'm not running an Intel just now so can some try one of these latter 2 values and report back?

Is the description ever unclear.
Exactly! This is one of the reasons Dortania exists -- because documentation written by the developers themselves is rarely if ever clear and cogent to the general public.

I'm now reading the page as perhaps meaning that revcpu is assigned 0 to disable string patching, 1 for Non-Intel CPUs, and a specific value for Intel, such as setting revcpu to a value of "3841" for ≥ 8-core CPUs or "1537" for 2-6 core CPUs.

I'm not running an Intel just now so can some try one of these latter 2 values and report back?
Just tried setting revcpu to NUMBER 1537 for my 6-core 10400, but no change.

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 5.25.18 AM.png

Exactly! This is one of the reasons Dortania exists -- because documentation written by the developers themselves is rarely if ever clear and cogent to the general public.

Just tried setting revcpu to NUMBER 1537 for my 6-core 10400, but no change.

View attachment 518263
Just tried setting revcpu to NUMBER 3841 for my 10-core 10850K, but no change.

Nice. I have FIOS in the Washington area, 940 up/down. I remember when I first connected to the Internet on a 14.4 Kbps modem… and then begged my mom to update to 56.6K, and I thought the Internet speed was on fire, lol. My my, how far we’ve come.
@dehjomz I know, I know ;). I still have an acoustic coupler in the basement:lol:

@dehjomz I know, I know ;). I still have an acoustic coupler in the basement:lol:
Somehow War Games just appeared in my YouTube recommendations list. If you doubted the power of tracking cookies, doubt no more!

P.S. War Games is exceptionally good. You will discover what an Acoustic Coupler is in the first 15 minutes.

Last edited:
Ah, so we need to add them directly to the NVRAM variable. I used both parameters as well, but added them to boot-args instead.

Ah, two steps forward, one step back.
Greetings, @CaseySJ! I need your help as an expert. It's almost impossible to buy Vision D, will the Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Pro AX be suitable for full-fledged operation? Or Asus ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming or the Asus ProArt Z490-Creator 10G? Which of these is better to take, and why, can you tell me?

Back