Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Some suggestions:
  • Please check boot-args between the previous and new installation. If previous system was okay, use exactly those args in the new system.
  • If previous system was using a custom power and fan properties SSDT, that SSDT should be used in the new system.
  • Has the system product name changed? In other words, was previous system using iMacPro1,1 and the new is using something else?
I will check. I have been running 20,1 in all installs.

Because you're on Google Fiber, what is the expected download speed? 166 Mbps is too slow. What speed do you get if you disable WiFi and use wired Ethernet?
Remember this is wireless download and upload speeds to a hardwired access point, I have hardwired ethernet turned off. Wired ethernet in house is 1Gbps and Google Fiber is anywhere from 800 Mbps to 1Gbps both downstream and upstream.

Remember this is wireless download and upload speeds to a hardwired access point, I have hardwired ethernet turned off. Wired ethernet in house is 1Gbps and Google Fiber is anywhere from 800 Mbps to 1Gbps both downstream and upstream.
@CaseySJ Ran another test this morning and it is showing similar speeds to the last test. Note that the RSSI is not great but I am running 5GHz at 80MHz (channel width double what is usually used, 40MHz). Don't use WiFi for much of anything anyway since the machine has 1Gbps hardwired Ethernet. AirDrop and Handoff both appear to work. Here are results from this morning:

Screen Shot 2021-05-08 at 11.25.33 AM.png

Rand

@CaseySJ Ran another test this morning and it is showing similar speeds to the last test. Note that the RSSI is not great but I am running 5Ghz at 80Mhz (channel width double what is usually used, 40Mhz). Don't use WiFi for much of anything anyway since the machine has 1Gbps hardwired ethernet. AirDrop and Handoff both appear to work. Here are results from this morning:

View attachment 518003
Rand
@CaseySJ Just FYI since you asked, here are the results over ethernet:

Screen Shot 2021-05-08 at 11.38.37 AM.png

Rand

@CaseySJ Just FYI since you asked, here are the results over ethernet:

View attachment 518004
Rand
I have 200 Mbps cable service.
  • Fenvi on WiFi 5 (802.11ac) gets 160-166 Mbps
  • OpenIntelWireless on WiFi 5 (802.11ac) gets 200 Mps
160 Mbps seems a bit slow on 802.11ac with fiber service. Maybe it's a limitation of the Fenvi...

Please see:

Last edited:
@CaseySJ Ran another test this morning and it is showing similar speeds to the last test. Note that the RSSI is not great but I am running 5GHz at 80MHz (channel width double what is usually used, 40MHz). Don't use WiFi for much of anything anyway since the machine has 1Gbps hardwired Ethernet. AirDrop and Handoff both appear to work. Here are results from this morning:

View attachment 518003
Rand
RSSI of -50 dBM is pretty good!

Some suggestions:
  • Please check boot-args between the previous and new installation. If previous system was okay, use exactly those args in the new system.
  • If previous system was using a custom power and fan properties SSDT, that SSDT should be used in the new system.
  • Has the system product name changed? In other words, was previous system using iMacPro1,1 and the new is using something else?
I'm going to have to hand in my Hackintosh decoder ring. Yes, it was the boot args. So simple. Because I used your EFI I didn't think to check. I did not need dart=0 or agdpmod=pikera. I'm sure the latter was the issue. Thanks again. I'm changing the name to boot ARGHHHHH.

In Big Sur this is not practical to do. There is a horrendously hideous procedure somewhere on the web, but it should be avoided. Any little mistake can permanently corrupt the system.
So how I can change CPU name in About This Mac section?

So how I can change CPU name in About This Mac section?
RestrictEvents.kext claims to be able to do this, but I’ve not been successful in my attempts. But I only spent 30 minutes on it.

Back