Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

In your opinion, will it affect also the combination Vision G + GC-Titan Ridge 2.0 + Ultrafine 5k Alpine Ridge ?
Not sure you remember when I mentioned it to you, but I found out that booting the system with the USB 2.0 header disconnected wouldn't let the Ultrafine monitor to turn on.
Fortunately you can safely continue to use USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 devices on the GC-Titan Ridge because it has its own USB controller. The 15-port limit applies to each controller. The GC-Titan Ridge has only 4 logical USB ports (two USB 2.x and two USB 3.x), which is well under the 15-port limit.

On a side note, I have been having troubles trying to export x264 videos using Premiere Pro and my Hack using hardware encoding. Videos are full of artifacts. I have tried a few solutions but still no luck.
From what I can see, according to Adobe, Premiere uses Intel QuickSync to export x264 (iGPU), and my Hack is configured as iMac20,2, Vision G, 10900k, 5700 XT, Big Sur 11.4 beta #1. I haven't tested it when I was on 11.2.3, so not sure how to go to the root of the problem.
I might start with a fresh install of Big Sur, using the same configuration, then I'll see.
If the iGPU is configured properly (IORegistryExplorer --> iGPU@2 --> AppleIntelFramebuffer) then the problem might be due to an Adobe-specific setting. Maybe some Adobe experts can chime in...

Fortunately you can safely continue to use USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 devices on the GC-Titan Ridge because it has its own USB controller. The 15-port limit applies to each controller. The GC-Titan Ridge has only 4 logical USB ports (two USB 2.x and two USB 3.x), which is well under the 15-port limit.
Phew. Good to know.

If the iGPU is configured properly (IORegistryExplorer --> iGPU@2 --> AppleIntelFramebuffer) then the problem might be due to an Adobe-specific setting. Maybe some Adobe experts can chime in...
Uhm, could you please help me to understand whether it's configured properly or not?

Oh, CaseySJ, here you said there were a few adjustments to be made. What does it involve? And should it be done also if changing platform? Because I am asking myself if I am missing anything important by not asking someone to do it... like... "is it necessary?".

Attachments

• AppleIntelFramebuffer.png
    AppleIntelFramebuffer.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 62
Phew. Good to know.

Uhm, could you please help me to understand whether it's configured properly or not?

Oh, CaseySJ, here you said there were a few adjustments to be made. What does it involve? And should it be done also if changing platform? Because I am asking myself if I am missing anything important by not asking someone to do it... like... "is it necessary?".
iGPU is configured properly. Please run Hackintool and see whether VDA Decoder is Fully Supported, as such:
Screen Shot 2021-05-02 at 3.34.13 PM.png

Correct. My personal preference is the kernel patch, as less kexts are required, and Rehabman’s FakePCIID is (to my knowledge) no longer maintained. :)
No worries.

It seems vit9696 is right about native support for device 0x15F3 in macOS 11.4 beta 1. We can see it right there in IONetworkingFamily.kext --> PlugIns --> AppleIntel210Ethernet.kext --> Info.plist:

Screen Shot 2021-05-02 at 3.40.31 PM.png

I'll have to try the experiment again. It's also possible that this is a placeholder just as Radeon RX 6000-series GPU IDs were added to AMDRadeonX6000Framebuffer as placeholders several weeks/months before the release of 11.4 beta 1.

Update:
Just tried the experiment again and 0x15F3 is not yet operational in 11.4.
  • After removing FakeCPUIID and DeviceProperties entry we get the 1 GbE driver:
Screen Shot 2021-05-02 at 3.58.04 PM.png

• With FakePCIID and DeviceProperties entry we get the correct 2.5 GbE driver:
Screen Shot 2021-05-02 at 4.01.27 PM.png

Last edited:
iGPU is configured properly. Please run Hackintool and see whether VDA Decoder is Fully Supported, as such:
Yes, it shows it is fully supported; the only awkward line is the iGPU->GPU Name where it shows "Intel ???"

Yes, it shows it is fully supported; the only awkward line is the iGPU->GPU Name where it shows "Intel ???"
This is okay.

Getting back to the Premiere Pro rendering issue, I wonder if we need to change GPU order by renaming the AMD GPU and Intel iGPU. By default their names are:
  • Intel UHD 630
  • Radeon RX 5700 XT
When we alphabetize them, the Intel UHD 630 comes first. Some Adobe users have found that it's better to rename the GPUs so that AMD GPU comes first:
  • AMD RX 5700 XT
  • Intel UHD 630
Please follow the three screenshots below to try this experiment. The save the file and reboot.
Screen Shot 2021-05-02 at 4.14.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-02 at 4.14.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-02 at 4.15.33 PM.png

@la-tristesse -- it's okay to be pushy! Sometimes we all need to be pushed... :)

Just concluded a set of experiments to observe the effect of PCIE Bifurcation Support on the Vision D.

Conclusion: ...

Six PCIe switches under the M.2 heatsink on Z390 Designare. Each of them is responsible for X2.
Four of them are ASM1480 2:1 mux/demux & x2, two of them are pi3pcie3413a 3:1 mux/demux & X2.
This combination is rare.

It seems two ASM1480 and two pi3pcie3413a can do the trick (8+4+4 on three slots) because pi3pcie3413a is 3:1.
If all the switches are 2:1 & x2 then 6 are needed to do 8+4+4 on three slots.
So the rest of two ASM1480 seems to be dealing with the source from chipset to the bottom PCIe slot.

1:2 & x2 means from CPU x2 through this switch to decide one out of two destination (first or the second pcie slot).
1:3 & x2 this time can then decide to go one out of three destination (all three slots).

I don't have a clear PCB picture about the Z490 Vision D. But I spot four gen4 switches there (another four should be redrivers).
If those switches are pi3dbs16412, then they are all 2:1 mux/demux & x2 only each. I seriously doubt it is possible to do 8+4+4 even you have some rise card with 3 sub slots.

Last edited:
Some questions:
  • Which version of macOS are you running?
  • What is your system product name? (iMac19,1?)
  • Is your on-board WiFi turned off?
  • If you are connected via wired Ethernet, is it a 1 gigabit Ethernet all the way to the router?
  • When did you first notice the Sidecar laggy behavior?
  • How long was the system running fine with no lagginess?
  • Give this procedure a try, but don't forget to answer the above questions.
1. Big Sur 11.3
2. iMac 20,2
3. It's removed completely, I'm using BCM943602CDP with PCI-E adapter
4. Yes, directly to the router
5. I bought iPad mini 5 two days ago, tried Sidecar and it was laggy
6. System runs fine, only sidecar on iPad is laggy
7. Everything works fine, handoff, continuity, airdrop etc. the only problem is Sidecar.

** OpenCore 0.6.9 EFI for Z490 Vision D **
Supports both Catalina and Big Sur
Please do not quote this post in its entirely. Use a link instead.

Update to OpenCore 0.6.9 using HackinDROM App
Available for both Broadcom WiFi/BT and OpenIntelWireless WiFi/BT

If making manual changes to OpenCore config.plist, please ensure that OpenCore Configurator is set to either 0.6.9 Development Version or 0.6.9 Release Version

This update includes:

1. OpenCore 0.6.9
2. IntelMausi 1.0.6
3. VirtualSMC 1.2.3
4. NVMeFix 1.0.7
5. AppleALC 1.6.0
6. Lilu 1.5.3

This update also includes SSDT-UIAC-VISION-D-V3.aml that limits the number of USB ports to 15 by disabling USB 2.x connections on the following ports:

USB 2.0 --> HS03 (red USB port on rear IO panel)
USB 2.0 --> HS04 (red USB port on rear IO panel)
USB 2.0 --> Thunderbolt Port 1
USB 2.0 --> Thunderbolt Port 2

V3 is disabled by default, but can be enabled manually after the OpenCore 0.6.9 update is completed. If you enable V3, be sure to disable XhciPortLimit kernel quirk.

If using OpenCore Configurator, please ensure it is set to 0.6.9 Development Version or 0.6.9 Release Version.

WARNING:
If you see the message OCS: Failed to parse string field as value with type boolean and <Auto> contents, context <CustomDelays> ! then click here.

One of the improvements in OpenCanopy is display of version information:
03190233.png

For manual update purposes, the ZIP files are attached below.
  • File on left is for Broadcom WiFi/BT (4.5 MB).
  • File on right is for Intel WiFi/BT (51 MB).

UPDATE:
  • May 4, 2021: Replaced the OpenIntelWireless ZIP with new version that uses May 4 builds of AirportItlwm 2.0.0-alpha.

Attachments

• OC-069-VISION-D.zip
    4.2 MB · Views: 230
  • OC-069-Intel-Wireless-VISION-D.zip
    48.5 MB · Views: 184
Last edited:
** OpenCore 0.6.9 EFI for Z490 Vision G, Not D **
Supports both Catalina and Big Sur
Please do not quote this post in its entirely. Use a link instead.

Update to OpenCore 0.6.9 using HackinDROM App

If making manual changes to OpenCore config.plist, please ensure that OpenCore Configurator is set to either 0.6.9 Development Version or 0.6.9 Release Version

This update includes:

1. OpenCore 0.6.9
2. IntelMausi 1.0.6
3. VirtualSMC 1.2.3
4. NVMeFix 1.0.7
5. AppleALC 1.6.0
6. Lilu 1.5.3

This update also includes SSDT-UIAC-VISION-G-V3.aml that limits the number of USB ports to 15 by disabling USB 2.x connections on the following ports:

USB 2.0 --> HS01 (front panel USB-C port)
USB 2.0 --> HS03 (between LAN and HDMI on rear IO panel)
USB 2.0 --> HS04 (between LAN and HDMI on rear IO panel)
USB 2.0 --> HS05 (between LAN and HDMI on rear IO panel)
USB 2.0 --> HS06 (rear IO panel USB-C port)
USB 2.0 --> HS09 (one of the two front panel Type A ports)

V3 is enabled by default, but can be disabled manually after the OpenCore 0.6.9 update is completed. If you disable V3, be sure to enable XhciPortLimit kernel quirk.

If using OpenCore Configurator, please ensure it is set to 0.6.9 Development Version or 0.6.9 Release Version.

WARNING:
If you see the message OCS: Failed to parse string field as value with type boolean and <Auto> contents, context <CustomDelays> ! then click here.

For manual update purposes, the ZIP is attached below.

Attachments

• EFI-069-VISION-G-NOT-D.zip
    4.2 MB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Back