Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

That's great to hear CaseySJ! Looking forward to hearing your findings on the port.

Anuloges, that's what I used but the 2.5GBe port never came up. I'm more than happy to share the EFI - it is updated to OC0.6.8 for up to Big Sur 11.3.

I have a question - does the USB 3.2 ports work on yours?
One immediate issue in your EFI is that both (a) USBPorts.kext and (b) USBInjectAll.kext are enabled at the same time. One or the other should be enabled, but never both.

To disable USBInjectAll.kext, we need to disable both of these:
  • ACPI --> SSDT-UIAC.aml
  • Kernel --> USBInjectAll.kext
To disable USBPorts.kext, we only need to disable it from Kernel.

In the attached config.plist I have disabled USBInjectAll and reordered the kexts in Kernel section. Please give it a try after copying PlatformInfo credentials back into the file.

Attachments

• config.plist
    35 KB · Views: 38
One immediate issue in your EFI is that both (a) USBPorts.kext and (b) USBInjectAll.kext are enabled at the same time. One or the other should be enabled, but never both.

To disable USBInjectAll.kext, we need to disable both of these:
  • ACPI --> SSDT-UIAC.aml
  • Kernel --> USBInjectAll.kext
To disable USBPorts.kext, we only need to disable it from Kernel.

In the attached config.plist I have disabled USBInjectAll and reordered the kexts in Kernel section. Please give it a try after copying PlatformInfo credentials back into the file.
Thanks CaseySJ, yes sure I'll give it a shot!

That's great to hear CaseySJ! Looking forward to hearing your findings on the port.

Anuloges, that's what I used but the 2.5GBe port never came up. I'm more than happy to share the EFI - it is updated to OC0.6.8 for up to Big Sur 11.3.

I have a question - does the USB 3.2 ports work on yours?
Thanks for the EFI. your SSDT worked for the hot plug. I noticed, you using RP05. In my system Thunderbolt was attached to RP01. So I had to change that. I thought same motherboard would have same SSDT.

Also, I think my USB 3.2 working. I don't have any USB 3.2 devices but when I connect USB2 or USB3 devices in those port, it works perfectly fine. I also did the 15 port map and disable the portlimit patch in OC. I don't know if it will be helpful, but I attached my EFI. you can take look at it. Again thanks for the TB3 SSDT.

Also do You also see both Alphine Ridge and Titan Ridge controllers in Hackintool. I thought it has only Titan.

Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 9.48.25 PM.png

Attachments

• EFI(OC 0.6.8 OS 11.3 TB3HP Apr 30).zip
    8.6 MB · Views: 57
Thanks for the EFI. your SSDT worked for the hot plug. I noticed, you using RP05. In my system Thunderbolt was attached to RP01. So I had to change that. I thought same motherboard would have same SSDT.

Also, I think my USB 3.2 working. I don't have any USB 3.2 devices but when I connect USB2 or USB3 devices in those port, it works perfectly fine. I also did the 15 port map and disable the portlimit patch in OC. I don't know if it will be helpful, but I attached my EFI. you can take look at it. Again thanks for the TB3 SSDT.

Also do You also see both Alphine Ridge and Titan Ridge controllers in Hackintool. I thought it has only Titan.
View attachment 517102
It’s probably because I have the i9-11900K fitted on a Z490 board. So the device properties have come up as that. So you may have to remove the Titan Ridge property. But, otherwise, it works. I’ve just tested it now on 11.3, and it boots up fine. You’re welcome!

Big Sur removes some of the drivers that are no longer supported, so the missing ones are okay to be missing!

This rings a bell. Similar problem was reported a few weeks ago and it was necessary to remove one of these audio drivers. My recommendation is to remove them all, boot into Big Sur, and install only the Big Sur-compatible versions of the drivers.

Here is the procedure to remove the drivers from the internal macOS SSD:
  • At the OpenCore Picker, press space bar to reveal extra options. One of them should be Recovery.
  • Boot the Recovery volume.
  • Once booted, select Terminal from the Tools menu.
  • Then type ls -l /Volumes and note the exact name of your macOS disk.
    • If the disk name contains spaces, type the disk name inside quotes in each line below that asks for it.
    • Example:
      • If the macOS disk is named Big Sur then each path name below should be entered like this:
      • /Volumes/"Big Sur"/Library/Extensions
      • /Volumes/"Big Sur"/System/Library/Extensions
  • Then type cd /Volumes/[name-of-macOS-disk]/Library/Extensions
  • Then type ls -l
  • Do you see those drivers listed?
  • Then delete the following:
    • rm -rf Sonarworks.kext
    • rm -rf SoundGrid.kext
    • rm -rf UAD2System.kext
    • rm -rf UAFWAudio.kext
  • Now type the following (very important):
    • touch /Volumes/[name-of-macOS-disk]/Library/Extensions
    • touch /Volumes/[name-of-macOS-disk]/System/Library/Extensions
  • Reboot and try to boot macOS normally.
  • Does it boot up?
Hey @CaseySJ,

Once again, you've nailed it! I can't be but grateful for your insights, which have helped me to get through any blockage so far. I appreciate your reliability, reactiveness and educational approach in that thread. So, a thousand thanks to you! :thumbup:

I am sorry to be late. The end of the week was quite busy, and I unfortunately could not find some time to write a decent answer.

So I followed your instructions and everything's working perfectly now! :clap: I was just unable to touch the second /Volumes/"Big Sur"/System/Library/Extensions directory that you listed, as the system warned me that the directory was read only. But the first touch worked and was apparently enough to force the system to update its kernel extensions.

I wish I could tell you which kext exactly caused the problem. But after having booted the recovery volume 4 times with each of the 4 suspicious kexts copied one after the other and of course touched the /System/Library/Extensions directory, I could not manage to make crash the booting of the system anymore. It's like if a process happening at the end of the first successful boot (post update to Big Sur) cleaned something up that has definitively prevented any of these 4 kext from killing the system boot.

I also interestingly noticed that the OpenIntelWireless drivers version 2.0.0-alpha keep on working with the
SecureBootModel option still set to Disabled after the installation (at least the BT module, I did not check the WIFI at that point). Then I anyway switched back to Default as you recommended it... but I was wondering if it is still necessary for any kind of reasons to do that with the latest version of these drivers?

Last but not least, when I updated my system, the 11.3 version was not yet publicly available (at least here in France). So I am running now on 11.2.3. I could read that some people here are currently experiencing ports issues with this new release, contrary to you if I got you well. I have a Gigabyte Z490 Vision D like you, would you say that it's safe for me to update to 11.3 with the latest version of OpenCore that you provided?

Thanks again for everything!

Last edited:
Apple Pro Display XDR SUCCESS...Sort of. with a Gigabyte Z490 Vision D, Big Sur 11.1, OC 0.6.5, and a Radeon 5700 XT, and i9-10850K, (also with a DP 1.4 Cable from the 5700 XT to the motherboard DisplayPort input) and a $15, 2m cable (link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08C28GSKH ) from the TB3 port on the Designare to the Apple Pro Display XDR.. Note that I've found it useful to put in a monitor dummy to get the system to boot consistently ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075PTQ4NH/?tag=tonymacx86com-20).
I configure the Apple Pro Display XDR to be the main display and arrange the dummy display to the right and down so there is only a single pixel in the lower right corner to allow access to the dummy display.
I don't see the bios screen OC menu with this setup on the Gigabyte Z490 Vision D + 5700 XT, but I get a login screen and get full resolution (6016x3384). I initially set this up with a second monitor connected via HDMI to the Radeon, then removed that and replaced it with the dummy monitor plug.

Update: The Z490 w/Big Sur and the Pro Display XDR is not as reliable as the build I originally posted about here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...700k-amd-rx-580.267551/page-2864#post-2213331

With the Radeon 5700 XT in the Z490 machine and it does not reliably enable the Pro Display XDR on reboot. I think the Z490 build with Big Sur needs more debugging to be as reliable as the Designare Z390 build + Catalina with the Pro Display XDR (That build has been my daily driver and has been rock-solid with that display).
Update:
Apple Pro Display XDR SUCCESS
with a Gigabyte Z490 Vision D, Big Sur 11.3, OC 0.6.8, a Radeon 5700 XT, and i9-10850K, (with a DP 1.4 Cable from the 5700 XT to the motherboard DisplayPort input) and a $15, 2m cable (link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08C28GSKH ) from the TB3 port on the Designare to the Apple Pro Display XDR. The display works after a cold boot and after a restart at full resolution (6016x3384).

Note: I also have a second display connected to the HDMI port on the Radeon 5700XT.

Last edited:
Update:
Apple Pro Display XDR SUCCESS
with a Gigabyte Z490 Vision D, Big Sur 11.3, OC 0.6.8, a Radeon 5700 XT, and i9-10850K, (with a DP 1.4 Cable from the 5700 XT to the motherboard DisplayPort input) and a $15, 2m cable (link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08C28GSKH ) from the TB3 port on the Designare to the Apple Pro Display XDR. The display works after a cold boot and after a restart at full resolution (6016x3384).

Note: I also have a second display connected to the HDMI port on the Radeon 5700XT.
  • Is this the result of adding pathcr to your Thunderbolt SSDT?
  • Is your Titan Ridge controller flashed or running original firmware?

So I followed your instructions and everything's working perfectly now! :clap: I was just unable to touch the second /Volumes/"Big Sur"/System/Library/Extensions directory that you listed, as the system warned me that the directory was read only. But the first touch worked and was apparently enough to force the system to update its kernel extensions.
Glad to hear it! And you're right about /System/Library/Extensions. It's not touchable in Big Sur, but as you discovered, it's not necessary to touch it.

I also interestingly noticed that the OpenIntelWireless drivers version 2.0.0-alpha keep on working with the
SecureBootModel option still set to Disabled after the installation (at least the BT module, I did not check the WIFI at that point). Then I anyway switched back to Default as you recommended it... but I was wondering if it is still necessary for any kind of reasons to do that with the latest version of these drivers?
I believe it's the WiFi driver (AirportItlwm) that requires SecureBootModel set to Default.

Last but not least, when I updated my system, the 11.3 version was not yet publicly available (at least here in France). So I am running now on 11.2.3. I could read that some people here are currently experiencing ports issues with this new release, contrary to you if I got you well. I have a Gigabyte Z490 Vision D like you, would you say that it's safe for me to update to 11.3 with the latest version of OpenCore that you provided?
It's okay to update to 11.3, but the two red USB 3.2 ports on the rear IO panel may not support USB 2.0 devices. When OpenCore 0.6.9 is released next week I will modify the USB port map to exclude those ports and will also disable the XhciPortLimit kernel quirk. But we will end up losing 4 logical USB 2.0 ports as a result...

I actually don't use these 2 ports :lol: ... you mean that we cannot use anymore these 4 ports with USB 2 devices, but USB 3 compliant devices will still work, right?

I actually rely the most on my thunderbolt ports. Could you ensure me that they will still work properly after the update?

By the way, I just rebooted with SecureBootModel set to Disabled and my WIFI is still working!

Back