Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

With that update somehow indeed sleep broke. But, after doing a fresh install of Big Sur, sleep worked again.

By fresh install, I mean to downlaod the Big Sur app 11.3 making a bootble USB disk to reinstall.

I will try. Thanks.
On the Z490 Vision D, sleep continues to work correctly on Big Sur 11.3 and 11.4 with or without the reduced number of USB ports.

I don't have the Vision G, but it seems odd that it is experiencing so many issues with Big Sur 11.3...

Working on a Z590 Vision D build, especially since Z490 is hard to come by now.

I saw this message on PC Part Picker "Fractal Design Define 7 Compact ATX Mid Tower Case has a front panel USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type C port, but the Gigabyte Z590 VISION D ATX LGA1200 Motherboard does not have sufficient USB 3.2 Gen 2 or Gen 1 headers. The case USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type C port will not be usable."

Is there any kind of adapter that I can buy for this? Something that would use the USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 header onboard but run at USB 3.2 Gen 2 (the naming for this gets more horrible with every release) speeds (10 Gbps instead of 20 Gbps)?

Working on a Z590 Vision D build, especially since Z490 is hard to come by now.

I saw this message on PC Part Picker "Fractal Design Define 7 Compact ATX Mid Tower Case has a front panel USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type C port, but the Gigabyte Z590 VISION D ATX LGA1200 Motherboard does not have sufficient USB 3.2 Gen 2 or Gen 1 headers. The case USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type C port will not be usable."

Is there any kind of adapter that I can buy for this? Something that would use the USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 header onboard but run at USB 3.2 Gen 2 (the naming for this gets more horrible with every release) speeds (10 Gbps instead of 20 Gbps)?
Is there a cable or wiring difference between USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 and USB 3.2 Gen 2?

There well might be; I’ve not looked into it because Gen 2x2 is so new.

A USB 3.2 Gen 2 port should be backwards compatible with a USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 header.

Is there a cable or wiring difference between USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 and USB 3.2 Gen 2?

A USB 3.2 Gen 2 port should be backwards compatible with a USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 header.

It looks like the cable fits, and I'd think it would work, but I don't have a fully built PC to test. Getting close though.

Going to need a CPU cooler and a GPU to complete the build, and the GPU I want I don't see getting anytime soon. Might have to pick up a old one to limp along until I can get a Sapphire 6800 XT at a sane price and 11.4 is out.

USB 3.2 gen 2x2 uses normal USB-C cables. A USB-C cable has four SuperSpeed lines (for USB 3.x and DisplayPort) and two HighSpeed lines (for USB 2.0). USB 3.x has separate lines for transmit and receive so x1 takes two lines and x2 takes all four lines.

USB-C can do any of the following:
- USB 3.0 or 3.1 gen 1 or 3.1 gen 2 or 3.2 gen 1x1 or 3.2 gen 2x1 (one line for transmit and one line for receive) + two lanes of DisplayPort (two lines for transmit) + USB 2.0
- USB 3.2 gen 1x2 or USB 3.2 gen 2x2 (two lines for transmit and two lines for receive) + USB 2.0
- four lanes of DisplayPort (four lines for transmit) + USB 2.0
- Thunderbolt or USB4 (two lines for transmit and two lines for receive)

To achieve 20 Gbps with USB 3.2 gen 2x2, I think you need the GenericUSBXHCI.kext but probably some modifications should be made to it to make it not interfere with the Apple drivers for USB 3.1 gen 2 controllers.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/usb-3-x-pcie-cards-for-classic-mac-pro.1501482/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/usb-3-x-pcie-cards-for-classic-mac-pro.1501482/post-29614021

USB 3.2 gen 2x2 uses normal USB-C cables. A USB-C cable has four SuperSpeed lines (for USB 3.x and DisplayPort) and two HighSpeed lines (for USB 2.0). USB 3.x has separate lines for transmit and receive so x1 takes two lines and x2 takes all four lines.

USB-C can do any of the following:
- USB 3.0 or 3.1 gen 1 or 3.1 gen 2 or 3.2 gen 1x1 or 3.2 gen 2x1 (one line for transmit and one line for receive) + two lanes of DisplayPort (two lines for transmit) + USB 2.0
- USB 3.2 gen 1x2 or USB 3.2 gen 2x2 (two lines for transmit and two lines for receive) + USB 2.0
- four lanes of DisplayPort (four lines for transmit) + USB 2.0
- Thunderbolt or USB4 (two lines for transmit and two lines for receive)

To achieve 20 Gbps with USB 3.2 gen 2x2, I think you need the GenericUSBXHCI.kext but probably some modifications should be made to it to make it not interfere with the Apple drivers for USB 3.1 gen 2 controllers.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/usb-3-x-pcie-cards-for-classic-mac-pro.1501482/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/usb-3-x-pcie-cards-for-classic-mac-pro.1501482/post-29614021
Great input, as always!

@CaseySJ and others. First time tonight I tried the 0.6.8 openwireless. I thought that I would post some screenshots:
First screenshot is the speedtest using my current Apple combo BT+wifi card in the pcie x1 slot:
Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 9.37.39 pm.png

second one is with openwireless:

Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 9.36.12 pm.png

The download speed when using openwireless started at almost 470Mbps but then dropped to 372Mbps. I think it is related to the driver because I ran another test with my normal card straight after and it was around 470Mbps. But I found an issue; after swapping between cards (turning them on and off to run the tests, not removing the BT+wifi combo card), the openwireless drivers stopped working. If I turned wifi off then on again to enable the onboard intel cnvi, it worked. Also are those drivers supposed to support AX? here is a screenshot of the onboard BT/wifi adapter from the system report:

Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 9.40.07 pm.png

should it say ax as well in the supported PHY modes?
Note that I did not remove my current wifi card. Maybe I should have done it but it is not practical to do so for me (crawl under the desk, remove the 6800 XT, etc.). I thought I would give it a shot because I just upgraded my router to an AX11000 one and if the openwireless is working fine then I can ditch my current one.

Nonetheless great download speeds for openwireless.

Last edited:
... But I found an issue; after swapping between cards (turning them on and off to run the tests, not removing the BT+wifi combo card), the openwireless drivers stopped working. If I turned wifi off then on again to enable the onboard intel cnvi, it worked.
We should remove the Broadcom module when using OpenIntelWireless. Otherwise there is a conflict between two WiFi modules and two Bluetooth modules.

Also are those drivers supposed to support AX? here is a screenshot of the onboard BT/wifi adapter from the system report:
... should it say ax as well in the supported PHY modes?
I noticed this too. PHY Modes does not list ax so let's wait for newer versions. The progress they have made so far is just great.

Nonetheless great download speeds for openwireless.
Yes, really promising improvements in the 2.0.0-alpha drivers. Eager to see what 2.1.0 brings!

11.3 update. With the SSDT UIAC VISION G V3.aml I am losing too many useful ports. I've reverted back to 11.2.3 on OC 068 and my Bluetooth and wireless mouse now work properly again. Also, I get back my USB-C port which I use all the time. The OC forums have admitted that 11.3 needs some new patches. QUESTION: The SSDT-DTPG.aml should be SSDT-DTGP.aml. Any reason for the switch?

11.3 update. With the SSDT UIAC VISION G V3.aml I am losing too many useful ports. I've reverted back to 11.2.3 on OC 068 and my Bluetooth and wireless mouse now work properly again. Also, I get back my USB-C port which I use all the time. The OC forums have admitted that 11.3 needs some new patches. QUESTION: The SSDT-DTPG.aml should be SSDT-DTGP.aml. Any reason for the switch?
  • USB-C port should work with V3, but only if (a) the connected device supports USB 3.x and (b) the USB-C cable specifically supports USB 3.x protocol. Example cables:
  • The name of the SSDT is okay. The misspelling is an historical artifact that we do not correct simply because it's an historical artifact! It reminds us of that moment in one of KGP's threads in this forum where Thunderbolt hot plug was achieved for the very first time.

Last edited:
Back