Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

** Mini-Guide: Limit USB Ports to 15 on Z490 Vision D **
Please do not quote this guide in its entirety. Post a link or excerpt instead.​

If you are experiencing USB problems on Gigabyte Z490 Vision D after upgrading to macOS 11.3 (Big Sur), please try the following:
  • Mount EFI partition and copy attached SSDT-UIAC-VISION-D-V3.aml to the OC/ACPI folder.
  • Run OpenCore Configurator 2.35.0.0 and ensure that it is set to OpenCore 0.6.8 Release Version as shown (from the OpenCore Configurator --> Preferences... dialog):
  • Add an entry for SSDT-UIAC-VISION-D-V3.aml to the ACPI section as shown:
  • In the Kernel section, uncheck XhciPortLimit as shown:
  • Save and reboot.

To limit usage to 15 ports, the port map file attached here disables the following:
  • USB 2.0 --> HS03
  • USB 2.0 --> HS04
  • USB 2.0 --> Thunderbolt Port 1
  • USB 2.0 --> Thunderbolt Port 2
However, USB 2.0 protocol is enabled on the front-panel USB-C port.

CaseySJ:​

Can I try this ' SSDT-UIAC-VISION-D-V3.aml" also on Vision G or this only for D

Also I want to report that the update of Big Sur killed sleep some how on Z490 Vision G. Has anyone else experienced this?

CaseySJ:​

Can I try this ' SSDT-UIAC-VISION-D-V3.aml" also on Vision G or this only for D

Also I want to report that the update of Big Sur killed sleep some how on Z490 Vision G. Has anyone else experienced this?
Are you experiencing USB port issues or system instability on the Z490 Vision G?

Hi everyone,

I finally decided to update my Catalina 10.15.7 to Big Sur (latest official version available: 11.3), but this time my attempt did not work out. I am currently now running my Catalina backup system booted from my external USB HDD. It's kinda slow... :confused:

I would be happy to know if someone already shared my experience and could possibly help me.

I must say that I carefully followed every @CaseySJ instruction prior to the update procedure:
  • SecureBootModel set to Disabled (because I use the Intel BT/WIFI drivers)
  • BlacklistAppleUpdate checked
In addition to this, and before launching the "update to Big Sur" procedure:
  • I updated to the last OpenCore 0.6.8 using the EFI provided by @CaseySJ as always (still worked well after that step — BTW, I did not use the new HackinDROM method, but manually copied my PlatformNVRAM Generic IDs from my previous config.plist to the new one)
  • I updated the Intel BT/WIFI to the very recent 2.0.0-alpha version, replacing the kext for both Catalina and Big Sur (still worked well after that step)
Then I launched the update and after the first reboot, I picked the Install "disk" on OpenCore, and the installation procedure runs through without any problem, as far as I could see.

After the post-install reboot, the Install disk disappeared from the OpenCore boot picker, which might be a sign that the installation was successful. Then I chose my Macintosh boot drive, the progress bar moved pretty fast and got stuck a few millimeters before the end... after a few hard reboots, I could not manage to get it solved.

Any idea? :idea:

After the post-install reboot, the Install disk disappeared from the OpenCore boot picker, which might be a sign that the installation was successful. Then I chose my Macintosh boot drive, the progress bar moved pretty fast and got stuck a few millimeters before the end... after a few hard reboots, I could not manage to get it solved.

Any idea? :idea:
This may be a long shot, but please try the USB port limit procedure described above in Post 5873:
Just have to make those changes to EFI partition without reinstalling Big Sur. I'm curious to know if USB configuration might be causing the problem.

Hi @CaseySJ!

Thanks for your very fast answer.

I immediately tried your suggestion, but unfortunately it did not help:

IMG_4607.jpeg

The OS loading stops quite early.

Hi @CaseySJ!

Thanks for your very fast answer.

I immediately tried your suggestion, but unfortunately it did not help:

View attachment 516632

The OS loading stops quite early.
Also note that if you're using the OpenIntelWireless drivers, SecureBootModel should be changed back to Default.

Are you experiencing USB port issues or system instability on the Z490 Vision G?
Me, too. I have USB ports issues

I tried much of things and if some USB ports work other not, like front USB or than only USB 2.0 and 3.0 not, or its the Bluetooth that not working again every test something is not working (xhciportlimit ) checked waf before update working fine but now its hunting time to find out what's going on,

Also sleep is not working anymore. The computer does not even trying to go in sleep mode.

I also tried the above SSDT you proved but broke also my Bluetooth.

Last edited:
Also note that if you're using the OpenIntelWireless drivers, SecureBootModel should be changed back to Default.
I actually experimented the SecureBootModel setting on Catalina back then before updating to Big Sur. Using the OpenIntelWireless drivers together with SecureBootModel set to Disabled does not prevent the system from booting. I just have a broken behaviour of the WIFI icon on the menu bar, but the system is up and running.

Would you say that it is different on Big Sur?

I actually experimented the SecureBootModel setting on Catalina back then before updating to Big Sur. Using the OpenIntelWireless drivers together with SecureBootModel set to Disabled does not prevent the system from booting. I just have a broken behaviour of the WIFI icon on the menu bar, but the system is up and running.

Would you say that it is different on Big Sur?
I forgot to mention: press and release CMD-V at OpenCore Picker before selecting the MacOS boot volume. This will enable verbose logs on screen. Let’s see what the logs say.

I forgot to mention: press and release CMD-V at OpenCore Picker before selecting the MacOS boot volume. This will enable verbose logs on screen. Let’s see what the logs say.
Here the backtrace with the OC configuration updated with your suggested port limit procedure:

IMG_4608.jpeg

Here the backtrace with the previous OC configuration (which I installed Big Sur with):

IMG_4609.jpeg

It looks like the same issue happens for both configs, which may involve the audio driver... but honestly I don't know what I am talking about... :crazy:

(thanks @CaseySJ for the CMD-V tip, this is another information I wanted to get :thumbup:)

Back