Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Spent a little bit of time today.

...speaking of my Hackintosh configured as iMac20,2 and not reporting all of the sensors in iStat Menus (neither in HWMonitorSMC2 2.6.1), you said:

This is odd. On my Z490 Vision D I am seeing all information.

It seems it may be related to the fact I am on iMac20,2 as per this post, which I found when reading deeply your guide. @starchyfind had issues as well with iStat Menus not showing all of the sensors. HWMonitorSMC 2.6.1 also doesn't show all of the values.
However, I logged in my iCloud account as iMac 20,2, I guess if I wanted to change to iMac19,1 I should change serial number as well.

BIOS F20d should not be used because it may exhibit the same USB-C problems that we've seen on all other latest BIOS updates from Gigabyte. So please flash F8c.

Unfortunately, it didn't work. I flashed F8c for my Vision G, loaded default values and reconfigured everything. Still have issues when putting Hack to sleep while a Type-C device is connected.
To rule out any interference of the GC-Titan Ridge 2.0 (& 5k monitor) I disconnected completely the card but the system still exhibited sleep issues. Changed some values here and there in the BIOS but it'd didn't help. As a last resort, I tried enabling SSDT-GPRW.aml thinking that Disable wake from USB/Bluetooth; wake only with power button could help, but it seems it had no effect at all.
Do you have any advice other than 1) connect it to an USB-A port and 2) do not put computer to sleep?

Thanks.

Unfortunately, it didn't work. I flashed F8c for my Vision G, loaded default values and reconfigured everything. Still have issues when putting Hack to sleep while a Type-C device is connected.
To rule out any interference of the GC-Titan Ridge 2.0 (& 5k monitor) I disconnected completely the card but the system still exhibited sleep issues. Changed some values here and there in the BIOS but it'd didn't help. As a last resort, I tried enabling SSDT-GPRW.aml thinking that Disable wake from USB/Bluetooth; wake only with power button could help, but it seems it had no effect at all.
Do you have any advice other than 1) connect it to an USB-A port and 2) do not put computer to sleep?

Thanks.
One can try Jettison from St. Clair software. There's a free trial period. It will safely eject all USB drives prior to sleep and will attempt to reconnect them after wake.

One can try Jettison from St. Clair software. There's a free trial period. It will safely eject all USB drives prior to sleep and will attempt to reconnect them after wake.

Thank you

I am curious to understand if it happen to me only; can it be related to BIOS settings or Platform?
I am asking because you were 'confident' when you advised me to downgrade BIOS to F8c but it still didn't work. So I am evaluating if it's worth to make big changes.

Your solution could help, but often I have SSDs connected to a VM and they won't eject; need to double check, but I think the sleep issue occurs also when devices are connected to VMs.

If you say it's worth trying, I might try with a different platform and see what happens.
In such event, is it advisable to use a different serial number? [and, to keep the old one, if I simply backup the EFI folder I guess I can use it if I want to revert to the current config?]

Last edited:
Thank you

I am curious to understand if it happen to me only; can it be related to BIOS settings or Platform?
I am asking because you were 'confident' when you advised me to downgrade BIOS to F8c but it still didn't work. So I am evaluating if it's worth to make big changes.

Your solution could help, but often I have SSDs connected to a VM and they won't eject; need to double check, but I think the sleep issue occurs also when devices are connected to VMs.

If you say it's worth trying, I might try with a different platform and see what happens.
In such event, is it advisable to use a different serial number? [and, to keep the old one, if I simply backup the EFI folder I guess I can use it if I want to revert to the current config?]
I just connected a USB 3.1 Gen 1 USB flash disk to my Z490 Vision D via the front panel USB-C port. Sleep works normally.

Please try some other USB-C devices. Maybe the problem only occurs with the specific device that you have.

Hi, all! So if I update the BIOS, I can put a 11900K in this build or does the EFI need work? Microcenter has an open box one so I was going to waste some time maybe and try it out.

For those of you trying the OpenIntelWireless drivers, the stable version has been updated to 1.3.0. A new alpha, 2.0.0, has also been release adding support for 11ac and 11ax.

For those of you trying the OpenIntelWireless drivers, the stable version has been updated to 1.3.0. A new alpha, 2.0.0, has also been release adding support for 11ac and 11ax.
It is really great to see alpha support for both 802.11ac (WiFi 5) and 802.11ax (WiFi 6). Question:
  • When OpenCore 0.6.9 is released in about 2 weeks, which of the following should be added to the OpenIntelWireless EFI?
    • 1.3.0-stable (no WiFi 5 or WiFi 6)
    • 2.0.0-alpha
  • Note that 1.3.0-alpha is in the most recent EFI.
  • Unless I hear otherwise, I'll switch to 2.0.0-alpha.

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 9.18.24 AM.png

Still no Airdrop support right?
It is really great to see alpha support for both 802.11ac (WiFi 5) and 802.11ax (WiFi 6). Question:
  • When OpenCore 0.6.9 is released in about 2 weeks, which of the following should be added to the OpenIntelWireless EFI?
    • 2.0.0-alpha

View attachment 515714

• 2.0.0-alpha

I've tried all the 1.3.0 Alpha versions up until a few weeks ago, and they all worked to some degree. Functionally, they never went backwards from one release to another. I haven't been able to try the new 2.0.0 as my RX580 stopped working, and I only have the 6900XT at the moment and can't boot into 11.3 beta - the only version of macOS I have installed ATM (don't ask it is a long story :) ).

I'm waiting to see if 11.4 Beta 1 will add support for the 6900, and, if not, I'll reinstall 11.2 until I can get a supported graphics card - I'm not willing to pay current prices of dGPUs so I'm pretty much using Windowz most of the time now :thumbdown.

As Wifi 5/6 is supported in the new alpha I'd just go with that for your next OC EFI release.

** Speed Tests and Observations with New OpenIntelWireless 2.0.0-alpha Drivers **
Finally we have 192 Mbps/201 Mbps!! Much faster than Fenvi FV-T919
802.11ac works, but I don't have 802.11ax so cannot test
See below (may need to disable 2.4 GHz SSID on some routers)

OpenIntelWireless 2.0.0-alpha drivers were released earlier this morning. They (finally) support both WiFi 5 (802.11ac) and WiFi 6 (802.11ax), but they may not support all frequency bands at this time.

Here are some observations from the Z490 Vision D with 2.0.0-alpha drivers on Big Sur 11.3 public beta 8.
  • My Internet download speed is 200 Mbps on cable.
  • My Internet upload speed is 6 Mbps.
OpenIntelWireless 2.0.0-alpha:
  • CHT Global
  • Razzolink
  • OpenIntelWireless driver was only able to connect to 2.4 GHz band on my 802.11ac router
  • The driver worked properly after wake-from-sleep!
  • Basic Handoff is supported as shown (Stocks and Safari from my iPhone were handed off to the Mac). AirDrop did not work.
  • The speeds below are on the 802.11n network (WiFi 4).
Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 11.50.52 AM.png - Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 11.50.35 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 11.46.08 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-04-20 at 11.47.49 AM.png
  • After disabling 2.4 GHz SSIDs on the router, OpenIntelWireless finally connected to the 802.11ac 5 GHz band and the results are amazing!
    • CHT Global
    • Razzolink
  • Finally we have 192 Mbps and 201 Mbps!! Much faster than Fenvi FV-T919. Virtually the same as Wired Ethernet!
Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 12.52.49 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-04-20 at 12.52.16 PM.png
  • On the Netgear Orbi Mesh router, we disable the 2.4 GHz SSID as follows:
Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 12.51.41 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-04-20 at 12.59.10 PM.png

Fenvi FV-T919:
  • CHT Global
  • Razzolink
  • Fenvi was connected to 5 GHz band on the same 802.11ac router
Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 12.05.08 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-04-20 at 12.04.29 PM.png
Wired Ethernet (1 Gbps):
  • Razzolink
  • KamaTera
Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 11.49.30 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-04-20 at 11.48.57 AM.png

If you are already using the OpenIntelWireless EFI from this post, it is very easy to use the new 2.0.0-alpha drivers as follows:
  • Download the Big Sur and Catalina versions from here.​
Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 1.56.56 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-04-20 at 1.57.30 PM.png
  • Download both the Big Sur and Catalina kexts.
    • Big Sur version will be inside a folder called Big Sur
    • Catalina version will be inside a folder called Catalina
    • Filename in both folders will be the same: AirportItlwm.kext
  • In each of these folders, rename AirportItlwm.kext as follows:
    • AirportItlwm-Catalina.kext
    • AirportItlwm-Big-Sur.kext
  • Mount EFI partition of macOS SSD and open the EFI/OC/Kexts folder.
  • Drag-and-drop the two files above into the EFI/OC/Kexts folder.
  • No changes are needed in config.plist
  • Reboot

Last edited:
Back