Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Switching to DP 1.1 on my monitor fixed iGPU black screen issues. Also I cannot boot with two monitors connected. I have to let macOS boot and then manually plugin in the second monitor. This is on a 10700K + Z490 Vision G.
My monitor has DP 1.2 and sometimes the black screen appears when my hackintosh is booting up. When that happens I have to shut down my monitor and turn it back on. That will solve the issue. Also can you get HDMI audio or DP audio out under the sound setting? My build is i9-10850K + Z490 Vision D.

Hi, I have the same issue. I've learned to live with it. But its stressing sometimes. It seems to be completely random. I hope @CaseySJ can help us. Also I remember I fixed it somehow with my previous hackintosh (Z390 and Mojave). But, after Ii upgrade the issue was back. Like @CaseySJ said, there's not guarantee everything will work like a real mac, but it will be great to find the root of the problem. @jctmac Do you have Windows system and the Windows driver of the VRS8 installed too?
Hi, Yes I have Windows with the driver. I have tried with Reaper and everything seems good. It's my second hack with the VRS8. The first was a Dell Optiplex (9010)(Mojave) with the PCIe card and the VRS8 work at 100%. I found a similar problem in Gearspace forum (link to the discussion):

Otherwise , Do not buy a HIGHPOINT 7101A-1 for a 4X4 NVMe RAID with a Mac with a T2 chip & VRS8. The PCIe setting requires for the T2 chip to be turned off, and audio will not flow to any DAW.

Maybe it could be a part of the solution...Maybe a security question, @CaseySJ?

Hey guys, I was wondering if Big Sur or Catalina has Big NAVI native support yet at this point since I am getting a 6900xt reference card this weekend. If anyone got the big NAVI graphics card working, please share your experience with me. Thank you!

See THIS thread.

I tried out these voltage settings suggested in the guide and it crashes my system in Windows.
Setting the Calibration from Low to Medium keeps the system stable, but I still get self-test errors in Prime95.
I have a 10850K and this system really annoys me in Windows. I do not understand how Gigabyte can sell such a horrible default configuration.
If I leave everything at default, the system even crosses 1.4 Volts at times when under high load and gets loud. (70 Celsius)
The optimized settings suggested kept the system significantly more quiet and cooler (55-60 Celsius), but if it throws me self-test errors, I cannot use it that way.

Does anyone with a similar CPU have a suggestion for me on how to fix this issue?

I have a similar system to you. Vision D with 10850. I did what was in this post:

I also turned off "Enhanced Multicore Performance" and watched my cpu Temps go from 80-90C down to a nice 37C!

Gluck

Re: HackinDROM

Having a bit of a problem running HackinDROM. Originally, I was downloading the app, and it looked like the app downloaded. But, when I tried to run it, macOS said it was damaged. I now think the problem was that it was not downloading with the .zip extension, and I didn't know to unzip it. Today, however, the app is downloading as a .zip file, extracts and runs.

However, when running it, on the initial page, I am unable to select a motherboard. My motherboard is the Z490. There is no dropdown menu. The GPU and WiFi are correct. So I hit confirm and now I have a screen that says "Loading" but it never finishes. Activity Monitor shows "HackinDROM" running with sometimes 4, sometimes 5 threads and 0% CPU. Diskutil shows devices /dev/disk0 through /dev/disk8 some of which are synthesized. I actually have 2 hard drives one with Mac Backup and one with Windows backup, two NVMe drives, one with Mac OS X, one with Windows, and an SSD drive with Linux.

I'm running Mac OS X 11.2.3. HackinDROM says it is version 1.3.2. OpenCore 0.6.8 (I updated using your config file and OpenCoreConfigurator version 2.34.0.0 set to Official OC 0.6.8) and I've tried running it as both a non-administrative user and an administrative user. Use Activity Monitor to kill it. Not sure what to try next.

Thanks

Rand

Re: HackinDROM

Having a bit of a problem running HackinDROM. Originally I was downloading the app and it looked like the app downloaded but when I tried to run it Mac OS said it was damaged. I now think the problem was that it was not downloading with the .zip extension and I didn't know to unzip it. Today, however, the app is downloading as a .zip file and extracts and runs.

However when running it, on the initial page, I am unable to select a motherboard. My motherboard is the Z490. There is no dropdown menu. The GPU and WiFi are correct. So I hit confirm and now I have a screen that says "Loading" but it never finishes. Activity Monitor shows "HackinDROM" running with sometimes 4, sometimes 5 threads and 0% CPU. Diskutil shows devices /dev/disk0 through /dev/disk8 some of which are synthesized. I actually have 2 hard drives one with Mac Backup and one with Windows backup, two NVMe drives, one with Mac OS X, one with Windows, and an SSD drive with Linux.

I'm running Mac OS X 11.2.3. HackinDROM says it is version 1.3.2. OpenCore 0.6.8 (I updated using your config file and OpenCoreConfigurator version 2.34.0.0 set to Official OC 0.6.8) and I've tried running it as both a non-administrative user and an administrative user. Use Activity Monitor to kill it. Not sure what to try next.

Thanks

Rand
probably best to post here:

probably best to post here:
Will do. Thanks Feartech.

So I just found out something interesting. The razer core x works on the z490 vision d without flashing the thunderbolt firmware, but only if a gpu inside of it is booted as the initial display output, and the thunderbolt hotplug ssdt is disabled. But thunderbolt hotplug is broken.

If the hotplug ssdt is not disabled, then what happens on the unflashed firmware is when the hotplug ssdt is loaded and macOS initializes the thunderbolt controller, display output on the egpu immediately ceases, but macOS continues to load, and will output video only on an internal gpu, such as the igpu. Also, pcie cards (other than gpus) can be hot plugged using the razer core x, such as an aquantia 10G lan card.

There’s no real reason to do any of the above if you have available pcie slots on your motherboard, given how big and goofy (aka built like a tank) the razer core x is, but cool nonetheless.

So it seems like the best bet is as Casey has advised, flash the controller for the best compatibility.

Last edited:
My monitor has DP 1.2 and sometimes the black screen appears when my hackintosh is booting up. When that happens I have to shut down my monitor and turn it back on. That will solve the issue. Also can you get HDMI audio or DP audio out under the sound setting? My build is i9-10850K + Z490 Vision D.
I see the option, yes. but haven't tried it.

" You must use Migration Assistant to transfer data from this backup. Reinstall macOS if necessary and then use Migration Assistant to transfer data from your backup "

I get this message when trying to restore a time machine backup of Big Sur.

Is Time Machine broken in Big Sur or its on my system only? Any suggestions?

Back