Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Simply use HackinDROM App, which can be downloaded from https://hackindrom.zapto.org (click the icon in the middle of the 'dock' that appears when you open the webpage). Then do the following:

Regarding PlatformInfo:
  • We only need to set Datahub --> Generic.
Yes, I know about that, but I just wondering because of the hardware acceleration if the datahub, platformnvram, and SMBIOS can gets filled works, No? Or is it only in mine old hackintosh build on Z490 boards don't work anymore.

Only Datahub --> Generic. = no hardware acceleration on Z490 Vision G with iMac 20,1 or 20,2 or 19,1.

About the Hackindrom App, if I press Create EFI, the app shuts off and no EFI created.

Last edited:
Yes, I know about that, but I just wondering because of the hardware acceleration if the datahub, platformnvram, and SMBIOS can gets filled works, No? Or is it only in mine old hackintosh build on Z490 boards don't work anymore.

Only Datahub --> Generic. = no hardware acceleration on Z490 Vision G with iMac 20,1 or 20,2 or 19,1.

Try it both ways and see for yourself what happens.

I already tried with at datahub, platformnvram, and SMBIOS filled

and says at boot: this version of mac os x is not supported on this platform reason mac-f4208cc8

hackintosh won't boot.
Some DRM operations do not work with iMac20,1 and 20,2 in Big Sur. See "DRM Compatibility on macOS 11" here:

SSDT-TB3HP.aml will have to be adjusted slightly for the "root port" of the GC-Titan Ridge. After installing the GC-Titan Ridge, simply run IORegistryExplorer --> File --> Save As..., and post the saved file. We can modify the SSDT's root port for you.

Hi CaseySJ

Thanks for the work you do for this community - and thanks to everyone else.

So a few days ago I completed my Hackintosh install.
System is configured as follow
- Z490 Vision G running F20D
- 2x32GB Crucial Ballistix 3600Mhz
- SX8200 Pro for Big Sur, EVO 970 for Windows
- Sapphire Nitro+ BE 5700XT
- GC Titan Ridge 2.0
- LG Ultrafine 5k Alpine Ridge fed by Titan Ridge w/ dual mDP + Benq UHD running off DP from 5700 XT

System installed, absolutely stable. However...

1) How can I change OpenCore entries’ name? My Big Sur drive is named Catalina.

2) At the moment I am not running any Ethernet/Bluetooth card. Is my system supposed to be working normally except for the lack of support to Hands-off or am I missing something, considering it's configured as iMac20,2? For example I am not able to play Netflix using Safari but I am not sure what it is related to. If I decide to install a supported card, shall I do any modification or is it just plug and play? In your opinion, would it be possible to install it in the top most PCIe 1x slot?

3) During the preparation phase, I forgot to do this (optional) step
Optional: Disable and/or remove IntelMausiEthernet.kext from the Kernel section. This driver is not used by the on-board 2.5 Gbps Ethernet port.
Don’t know if I did it right, but after I installed everything I mounted the EFI partition from my Big Sur drive, opened config.plist with OpenCore and removed the line IntelMausi.kext . Did I do it correctly or it should have been done before installing Big Sur?

4) I installed Intel Power Gadget and iStat Menus, but I am not able to see all of the sensors, I am limited to 4 CPU cores in the drop down menu and so on. Is there anything I can do to make it fully functional or shall I stick to HWMonitorSMC2?

5) It usually happens that both HWMonitorSMC2 and iStat Menus report the 5700 XT as having 2GB of VRAM on board and its usage is maxed out; if I turn on or off the UHD monitor, then VRAM jumps to 8GB but it still fluctuates back to 2GB over time. Is it an error reporting VRAM or its availability changes effectively?

Last but not least. I haven't been able to fix an annoying issue.

Let's do a few steps back. Before installing Big Sur, I used to run the system on Windows and it happened that the system wouldn't manage power/sleep properly
a) screen saver kicked only once, then it didn't activate anymore
b) if you put the system on sleep, it either woke up instantly or after a few hours
c) if you had the monitor(s) to automatically turn off, they would turn off and then turn on after a few minutes, cyclically
I tried any possible combination of Thunderbolt setting, cold bot, hot boot, turning off/on the UHD monitor before/after boot, having it off completely, but nothing would work. Also, I tried various installations of Windows. Didn't help.

Went on and installed Big Sur and it was turning the monitors on and off, going to sleep and such.

So I guessed it must have been a problem with Windows.
a) booted system changing Thunderbolt port (also swapping mDP connectors) -> same issues
b) disconnected Thunderbolt cable and mDP cables, booting on the Benq monitor only -> same issues
c) removed Titan Ridge card -> it worked!

I really wanted to get it working in Windows as well. I remembered that disconnecting the USB 2.0 header didn't allow the Ultrafine to turn on. As the card won't turn on unless the 5 port TBH is either connected or bridged on pin #3-5, I thought "let's remove the 3 pin connector and see what happens". MAGIC. Windows sleeps perfectly -at least the few times I tried it.

...HOWEVER. I am unable to have my Hackintosh to sleep now when connecting a Type-C gen 2 external hard drive.
a) if I connect it to the front (but also to the back) USB Type-C port, as soon as I put my Hackintosh to sleep, it wakes up (and the drive is re-connected during wake up)
b) if I use a Gen. 2 Type-C to USB-A, and connect it to the front USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports, it sleeps like a baby - haven't tried with the read USB-A 3.1 Gen 2

So I connected the 3 pin connector back. Still, my Hackintosh doesn't go to sleep when it's late if a nasty Type-C Gen 2 device is connected. However, if I use a USB-A to Type-C adapter on the front port Type-C port, and insert a common thumb drive, the system sleeps. So it must be something specific to the Gen 2 devices, I guess.

Do you have a clue of what happened in Windows? Why didn't it work until I disconnected the 3 pin connector, and now it works even with the 3 pin connector back on the card? <- provided that it really is working, as I haven't spent lots of time observing it.
And why would my Hackintosh not sleep? Does it have anything to do with the root port you mentioned which has to be adjusted?

Or maybe I should call an exorcist.

I apologize for having written such a long post. I really wanted to sort it on my own but haven't been able.

PS: the only thing I haven't tried is flashing BIOS F8c as I wanted to keep compatibility with Rocket Lake, however I am not sure I will get one so might try it if you believe it could iron the issues.

Last edited:

About the Hackindrom App, if I press Create EFI, the app shuts off and no EFI created.
Please try the latest version of HackinDROM.app

Reactions: jd6
Hello @m4rk0,

Please see answers below...

System installed, absolutely stable. However...

1) How can I change OpenCore entries’ name? My Big Sur drive is named Catalina.
The procedure is explained in this article, which can be found in the Troubleshooting / FAQs section of Post 1:

Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 5.46.46 AM.png

2) At the moment I am not running any Ethernet/Bluetooth card. Is my system supposed to be working normally except for the lack of support to Hands-off or am I missing something, considering it's configured as iMac20,2? For example I am not able to play Netflix using Safari but I am not sure what it is related to. If I decide to install a supported card, shall I do any modification or is it just plug and play? In your opinion, would it be possible to install it in the top most PCIe 1x slot?
A WiFi/BT card is not necessary, but playback of protected content (DRM = Digital Rights Management) such as Netflix, AppleTV+, and Amazon Prime is a bit more complicated in Big Sur. We use shikigva=80, which should allow Netflix and Prime to work using HW3 (Hardware FairPlay 2.0/3.0 decoder). However, in Big Sur it may be necessary to follow this additional procedure (again, in Troubleshooting / FAQs section):

Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 5.54.14 AM.png

3) During the preparation phase, I forgot to do this (optional) step
Optional: Disable and/or remove IntelMausiEthernet.kext from the Kernel section. This driver is not used by the on-board 2.5 Gbps Ethernet port.
Don’t know if I did it right, but after I installed everything I mounted the EFI partition from my Big Sur drive, opened config.plist with OpenCore and removed the line IntelMausi.kext . Did I do it correctly or it should have been done before installing Big Sur?

We should use IntelMausi.kext and remove/disable the older one named IntelMausiEthernet.kext.
Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 5.57.04 AM.png
4) I installed Intel Power Gadget and iStat Menus, but I am not able to see all of the sensors, I am limited to 4 CPU cores in the drop down menu and so on. Is there anything I can do to make it fully functional or shall I stick to HWMonitorSMC2?
This is odd. On my Z490 Vision D I am seeing all information.

5) It usually happens that both HWMonitorSMC2 and iStat Menus report the 5700 XT as having 2GB of VRAM on board and its usage is maxed out; earlier I turned off the UHD monitor and the VRAM jumped to 8GB. Is it an error reporting VRAM or its availability changes effectively?
There's a trick for HWMonitorSMC2 that might work:
  • Disable Use the IOKit monitoring for GPUs
  • Exit/quit HWMonitorSMC2 (necessary)
  • Launch HWMonitorSMC2 again
  • Enable Use the IOKit monitoring for GPUs
  • Exit/quit HWMonitorSMC2 (necessary)
  • Launch HWMonitorSMC2 again
  • Now it should show both GPUs properly
Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 6.32.11 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 6.34.07 AM.png

c) removed Titan Ridge card -> it worked!

I really wanted to get it working in Windows as well. I remembered that disconnecting the USB 2.0 header didn't allow the Ultrafine to turn on. As the card won't turn on unless the 5 port TBH is either connected or bridged on pin #3-5, I thought "let's remove the 3 pin connector and see what happens". MAGIC. Windows sleeps perfectly -at least the few times I tried it.
What is the 3 pin connector you're referring to?

...HOWEVER. I am unable to have my Hackintosh to sleep now when connecting a Type-C gen 2 external hard drive.
a) if I connect it to the front (but also to the back) USB Type-C port, as soon as I put my Hackintosh to sleep, it wakes up (and the drive is re-connected during wake up)
b) if I use a Gen. 2 Type-C to USB-A, and connect it to the front USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports, it sleeps like a baby - haven't tried with the read USB-A 3.1 Gen 2
BIOS F20d should not be used because it may exhibit the same USB-C problems that we've seen on all other latest BIOS updates from Gigabyte. So please flash F8c.

PS: the only thing I haven't tried is flashing BIOS F8c as I wanted to keep compatibility with Rocket Lake, however I am not sure I will get one so might try it if you believe it could iron the issues.

Last edited:
Thank you CaseySJ.

A WiFi/BT card is not necessary, but playback of protected content (DRM = Digital Rights Management) such as Netflix, AppleTV+, and Amazon Prime is a bit more complicated in Big Sur. We use shikigva=80, which should allow Netflix and Prime to work using HW3 (Hardware FairPlay 2.0/3.0 decoder). However, in Big Sur it may be necessary to follow this additional procedure (again, in Troubleshooting / FAQs section):

View attachment 515223

I wanted to know more about it, not because I use AppleTV or Netflix on my computer but I wanted to make sure I got things sorted if I wanted to use them.
Went to this page: Fixing DRM support and iGPU performance
It appears my hardware acceleration works as expected.
  1. FairPlay 1.x DRM doesn't work as I downloaded the movie but cannot see anything when playing with QuickTime; just audio works. Is it because All kinds of software DRM decoders were removed from macOS 11 ?
  2. FairPlay 2.x/3.x – Can play the Spider Man trailer but cannot play any content. Netflix doesn't work either.
  3. FairPlay 4.x – Can play Free Apple TV+ Premieres
Yes, I applied the terminal commands you said. Is it supposed to be like that?
Edit: it seems it is according to this page.

We should use IntelMausi.kext and remove/disable the older one named IntelMausiEthernet.kext.
View attachment 515224
Well I brutally mounted EFI partition and using OperCore and replaced config.plist with the one used during installation. Having a Vision G, do I still need that kext tho?

This is odd. On my Z490 Vision D I am seeing all information.

Speaking of iStat?

There's a trick for HWMonitorSMC2 that might work:

Not necessary, as HWMonitorSMC2 reports both GPUs and their values, it's just I didn't know whether is was normal or not for my Hackintosh not to report VRAM correctly. However, the system uses it properly, doesn't it?

What is the 3 pin connector you're referring to?

The manual says to connect USB 2.0 header, 5 pin [THB_C1] and 3 pin [THB_C2] connectors - depending on the availability on the motherboard.
At the very beginning, when I built my desktop, I forgot to connect the USB header and noticed that the monitor wouldn't turn on. As soon as I did it, it worked. People say to bridge pin #3 & #5 to have the card to turn on, so what is the 3 pin connector used for?

BIOS F20d should not be used because it may exhibit the same USB-C problems that we've seen on all other latest BIOS updates from Gigabyte. So please flash F8c.

So that might explain the weird behaviors in Windows as well?
Too bad, wanted to keep compatibility with 11th gen.

In the previous post, you told me to attach the ioreg file so that you would be able to adjust the Thunderbolt root. Is it something to do on every installation or it is hardware dependent? Is it okay to post it here if I blank out the serial number?

Attachments

• 3 pin.png
    3 pin.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 64
  • 5 pin.png
    5 pin.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Since the Z490 Vision D is not available anymore would the Z590 Vision D work as a replacement? I'm particularly interested in the Thunderbolt controller. Does it work with Big Sur?
Is there anything I need to know specifically? I could not find it discussed in they thread (but search is not that easy).

I have now a Z390F with 8700K, and I was thinking of upgrading to take advantage of more M2, PCI4, 128GB memory, etc. I saw the thread of Z590 Vision G but that board does not have the Thunderbolt controller.

Thanks.
Michele

Back