Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

It works. Thanks! So you used this path for construction of SSDT?
Code:
IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/IOU1@7/IOPP/PXS2@0/IOPP/pci-bridge@4/IOPP/GFX1@0
Glad to hear it.

Just curious what is the logic?
The thinking was as follows:
  • Your Nvidia GPU was being attached to:
    • _SB.PCI0.IOU1.PXS2.PCI-BRIDGE@4.GFX1
  • There are several PCI bridges on PXS2, but your GPU is attached to the bridge on Address 4, hence PCI-BRIDGE@4.
  • The DSDT and SSDT files confirm that the firmware (BIOS) is not defining any default devices under PXS2, which means we are free to define our own.
  • We start by creating a device at the "PCI-BRIDGE@4" location, which is done as shown below. Your GPU is connected to this particular bridge.
    • Note that we set _ADR to 0x00040000. This ensures that our new PBR4 device is registered to the correct PCI bridge.
Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 10.25.43 AM.png

• Then we define the actual GPU device as a sub-device of PBR4, as follows:
Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 10.27.06 AM.png

• And finally we can create a Device Specific Method (_DSM) for GFX1 that will hide the GPU from macOS. Notice that the _DSM method is created for _SB.PCI0.IOU1.PXS2.PBR4.GFX1, where the last two elements of this path had to be created first.
Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 10.29.48 AM.png

By the way, are you running Mojave, Catalina, or Big Sur?

Hey there,

I have exactly the same problem. No idea how to solve it, and it doesn't really bother me that much, so I've just left it. Not much help, I'm afraid.

Although if you do find a solution, I'd love to know what it is...

Cheers,
V
@joe12south and @CamoViking I have this same problem and have posted a few times on this thread seeking assistance, but you guys are the first who chimed in with the same problem. I've ceased trying to fix it myself. Would love to say I've stopped caring, but who are we kidding...this kind of stuff (e.g. very nice user interface) is why I prefer Macs... :lol:

PortLimit patch is set to True in my configuration, as I configured my own SSDT with Hackintool, as opposed to a kext.
once you have created your SSDT for your usb ports, you then disable: XhciPortLimit

once you have created your SSDT for your usb ports, you then disable: XhciPortLimit
I was under the impression XhciPortLimit is needed when using USBInjectAll + custom SSDT? You only disable it if you want to use USBPorts.kext instead? I’m probably wrong, but I haven’t had any problems with things the way they are so far!

I was under the impression XhciPortLimit is needed when using USBInjectAll + custom SSDT? You only disable it if you want to use USBPorts.kext instead? I’m probably wrong, but I haven’t had any problems with things the way they are so far!
XhciPortLimit is needed if we define more than 15 USB ports regardless of the method used to define the ports.

it is only enabled when you are createing your usbports.kext or uiac.ssdt with usbinjectall.kext, once created, then you disable it

XhciPortLimit is needed if we define more than 15 USB ports regardless of the method used to define the ports.
it is only enabled when you are createing your usbports.kext or uiac.ssdt with usbinjectall.kext, once created, then you disable it
Thanks for the info gentlemen! I shall go ahead and disable it.

Glad to hear it.

The thinking was as follows:
  • Your Nvidia GPU was being attached to:
    • _SB.PCI0.IOU1.PXS2.PCI-BRIDGE@4.GFX1
  • There are several PCI bridges on PXS2, but your GPU is attached to the bridge on Address 4, hence PCI-BRIDGE@4.
  • The DSDT and SSDT files confirm that the firmware (BIOS) is not defining any default devices under PXS2, which means we are free to define our own.
  • We start by creating a device at the "PCI-BRIDGE@4" location, which is done as shown below. Your GPU is connected to this particular bridge.
    • Note that we set _ADR to 0x00040000. This ensures that our new PBR4 device is registered to the correct PCI bridge.
View attachment 513630
  • Then we define the actual GPU device as a sub-device of PBR4, as follows:
View attachment 513632
  • And finally we can create a Device Specific Method (_DSM) for GFX1 that will hide the GPU from macOS. Notice that the _DSM method is created for _SB.PCI0.IOU1.PXS2.PBR4.GFX1, where the last two elements of this path had to be created first.
View attachment 513633

By the way, are you running Mojave, Catalina, or Big Sur?
@CaseySJ,

The previous versions of the SSDT to hide a GPU in my system has always made my system fail to boot, but seeing your post above explaining the process made me curious to see whether I could create one for my needs. The card in question is an RX6800 in slot 1. Here is my IOReg output, and my attempt at modifying your SSDT (I haven't tried it yet - Just wanted to make sure I understand the process!). Can you confirm whether I've got the right idea?

Attachments

• iMac.ioreg
    6.2 MB · Views: 74
  • SSDT-Disable-GPU-Ext (Modified).aml
    223 bytes · Views: 83
CaseySJ's Comet Lake-S in BeQuiet! Pure Base 500DX:
Gigabyte Z490 Vision-D - i5-10400 - UHD 630 - AMD RX 580

(Please do not quote this guide in its entirety. Post a link instead.)
(See this post for how to refer to a Guide or Mini-Guide.)
may cause problems:​
Hey, Casey! Thank you so much for your effort for the EFI. I just made a fresh boot of your OC 0.6.7, and I was wondering if it’s normal that SideCcar and screen mirroring are not working? Also, I can’t find the sound output of my monitor. Sometimes, when I turned off my monitor and turned back on, then I can see my monitor sound output. Can you show me what is wrong? I use the iMac 20, 2. My PC setting:
i9-10850K
Vision D Z490
Fenvi T919
Intel UHD 630
Kraken Z73
Corsair RGB Vengeance 32GB 3200MHz 2x16GB
EVGA 1000 watt power supply.
Thanks again!

Back