Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hi again! I just came to a bottle neck and I can't seem to get my head around it as to what is actually happening. So, I use this new hackintosh for colour grading and video post. I have a Promise Pegasus RAID that works great! The thunderbolt is just super fast and usually makes the workflow great. But, as of right now, I don't have the necessary space to render a giant project inside the same RAID, so I plugged a USB 3.1 Adata Hard Drive to render a Master, which will be around 2-3Tb in size. But, whenever the computer is using the RAID, it seems that the USB starts working really slow, as a USB 2, but this only happens when I'm using the RAID, does this makes sense? I thought that this board had separate controllers and a extensive amount of USB... I've checked many times the BIOS config and is just as the post says, is it a OS thing?
Some immediate questions:
  • Which Pegasus RAID are you using?
  • Is it a Thunderbolt 3 model?
  • Which Thunderbolt or USB port is it connected to?
Regarding the ADATA USB 3.1 hard drive:
  • What is the make/model?
  • Which USB port is it connected to?

The ASUS ThunderboltEX 4 AIC is now available on the ASUS website. I haven't seen any proper reviews of it yet. I'm also unclear what motherboard header is required and therefore which motherboards are compatible OOTB. (Is the compatibility list the same as for the tbEX 3 AIC?) Here is the Compatible Model List. It has a 14-1 pin TB header, which is the same form factor as the tbEX 3.
The manual is also available.
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-C.../Accessories/ThunderboltEX-4/HelpDesk_Manual/

There's some interesting things in it:

- Only one 6-pin to provide 100W + 27W ? Normally, a 6-pin only does 75W and a x4 slot only provides 25W. This is why the GC-TITAN RIDGE has two 6 pin connectors. I guess they expect you to use a power supply that can do 150W per 6-pin or they expect you to use a motherboard that can do 75W for all the slots (or at least the slot that the card is meant to be inserted in).

- You can only chain 5 devices together. This is a USB4 limitation. Thunderbolt can chain 6 devices but the EX 4 is actually USB4 with support for Thunderbolt so it makes sense.

- A DisplayPort display counts as a device in the Thunderbolt chain. This is wrong. A Thunderbolt display counts as a device in the chain but a DisplayPort display should not. Or maybe I am misunderstanding something in the USB4 spec. Actually, the product page says Thunderbolt Display instead of DisplayPort display, so I guess they didn't correct the manual.

CPU Upgrade -> "Gaming Profile" adds 100 MHz to turbo boost frequencies for all cores.
VCore "Fixed" on 1.2V (and not, it's not really fixed, it can automatically changed in some range, but with "Auto" VCore voltage it can be 1.5V+)
Loadline Calibration on "Low"

Real VCore on heavy load (Cinebench R20) is 1.31-1.32V.

You need to test system stability with any manual settings. You can fix VCore on higher voltage and lower LLC setting, or lower voltage and higher LLC setting.
View attachment 487245
View attachment 487246
Tried the above, but it did little to lower the noise of the fans. What did (which was my fault and nativity in constructing a PC build) was that I had associated CPU temperature to all of the fans as well as the CPU fan. Once I changed them to System1 temperature then and noise was reduced to acceptable/expected levels. If anyone else has this problem just check that fan-temperature sensor associations are correct.

Some immediate questions:
  • Which Pegasus RAID are you using?
  • Is it a Thunderbolt 3 model?
  • Which Thunderbolt or USB port is it connected to?
Regarding the ADATA USB 3.1 hard drive:
  • What is the make/model?
  • Which USB port is it connected to?

The adata is a AHDD330

The RAID is a Promise Pegasus 3 R6

The thing is that I also noticed that whenever the render starts, it says for instance 20 minutes, but after like 5 minutes it starts to get slow, very very slow, and the computer is unusable, everything gets reall slow, the Finder, Chrome, very slow

I have uploaded new versions of the GPU disabling SSDTs to Post 1 of the Designare Z390 thread. Attaching them here as well. Please try the new SSDT-Designare-Z390-Disable-Slot-2-GPU.aml.
@CaseySJ It does not work. Same issue that I had when I first used the SSDT from the Z390 page. macOS starts loading then around 50% on the progressing bar it resets. But, if I use the one that I upload for you on the previous page, it does not crash. What changes did you make between the one I uploaded and the one you asked me to try?

Also, not sure how this could be related, but, after it rebooted and I managed to disabled the SSDT via the OC editor, I lost Bluetooth completely. I could not reconnect to the mouse, keyboard or soundbar.
I tried several times to reboot; remove then repair the Bluetooth devices; nothing worked. Last solution, I shutdown the system, switched off the power supply for a couple of minutes. I restarted, and then Bluetooth worked again.

Hi everyone,

I am slowly, let's say, preparing myself mentally to possibly consider an update to Big Sur... :eek: I would just have a simple question to ask, even though I am pretty sure that the topic has been already probably clarified:

Considering OpenCore together with the Intel BT/WIFI drivers current state of the art, is it now possible to have Intel Bluetooth and WIFI working decently on Big Sur (i.e. the same way as on Catalina) with @CaseySJ OpenCore configuration files?

Thanks for your help! (and sorry for the repetition if there is...)

We will need to see:
  • Make/model of the expansion board
  • IOReg file
  • System DSDT
PCIe2-427
It must be something like this?:

Attachments

• IORegistry.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 52
  • ACPI Tables.zip
    154.3 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
PCIe2-427
It must be something like this?:
Yes, that's the approach we need to take. Have you already tried it? If not, please post the IOReg file from IORegistryExplorer (File --> Save As...).

... is it now possible to have Intel Bluetooth and WIFI working decently on Big Sur (i.e. the same way as on Catalina) with @CaseySJ OpenCore configuration files?

Based on my definition of "working decently" the answer is easily "no". But others may find the drivers to be good enough for their purposes. I would encourage you to try the drivers for yourself to see if they're adequate for your needs.

@CaseySJ It does not work. Same issue that I had when I first used the SSDT from the Z390 page. Macos starts loading then around 50% on the progressing bar it resets. But if I use the one that I upload for you on the previous page, it does not crash. What changes did you make between the one I uploaded and the one you asked me to try?
Also not sure how this could be related but after it rebooted and I managed to disabled the SSDT via the OC editor, I lost bluetooth completely. Could not reconnect to the mouse, keyboard or soundbar.
Tried several times to reboot, remove then repair the bluetooth devices, nothing worked. Last solution, I shutdown the system, switched off the power supply for a couple of minutes, restarted and then bluetooth worked again.
It would appear that this technique of setting class-code to 0xFFFF no longer works in latest versions of macOS. Alas it may be necessary to wait until Radeon 6000-series drivers become available.

Back