Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hi. I have almost received all my parts but the graphics card is in backorder... Is it possible to prepare the OpenCore configuration with igpu (config.plist), install OSX and add a rx580 card later (in some weeks)? Will I have to totally change the config file (and generate a new rom - step 4) or just change some settings.

Thank you.

@dehjomz, @CamoViking, @CaseySJ
Thank you for your input and suggestions.

@CaseySJ in regards to the DRM. I tried entering those commands into terminal using iMac 19,2 as the computer description and the Application crashed. I think it might be because @lerass is using iMac 20,2 as his computer description which has the T2 chip just like the iMac Pro.
A more complete set of Terminal commands is located at the bottom of this WhateverGreen manual:

Which application crashes when these commands are entered? By the way we should use iMac19,1 instead of 19,2. iMac20,2 is okay.

Anyway not a big deal. I don't use iTunes anymore because I use Spotify to listen to all of my music. In regards to movies, I have 2 projectors in my house for that purpose ;-)
I have a 4K DLP projector with a 133-inch screen. Never really understood how folks can watch movies on a teeny tiny computer screen in relation to that behemoth! :)

@CaseySJ I noticed that the GPU sensor isn't working. I tried disabling the integrated Graphics and still not showing temperature values. In addition is there a way to tweak the gpu fan? Coz it is turned off most of time although i'm aware that by default it's bios setting is set to silent mode where fan will only start spinning during heavy loads maybe there's a away to keep it always spinning
Please post a screenshot of the HWMonitorSMC "Settings" window. It's possible that GPU monitoring is disabled there.

Update:

Please take these steps:
  • In the Settings panel, uncheck "Use the IOKit monitoring for GPUs"
  • Then exit the app by clicking the x as shown in screenshot 2.
  • Then launch HWMonitorSMC2 again.
  • In the Settings panel, check-on "Use the IOKit monitoring for GPUs"
  • Then exit the app by clicking the x.
  • Then launch HWMonitorSMC2 again.
  • Now GPU monitoring data should appear...
Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 4.47.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 4.47.52 PM.png

Last edited:
Hi. I have almost received all my parts but the graphics card is in backorder... Is it possible to prepare the OpenCore configuration with igpu (config.plist), install OSX and add a rx580 card later (in some weeks)? Will I have to totally change the config file (and generate a new rom - step 4) or just change some settings.

Thank you.
Because GPUs are so difficult to acquire these days, your question is a good one to address once again:
  • Yes we can install macOS using config-Intel-iGPU.plist
  • Once an AMD discrete GPU is installed, we just need to transfer our PlatformInfo credentials into config-AMD-GPU.plist and reboot
  • This can be done through HackinDROM by using the CopyConfig feature. Simply upload your existing config.plist and select the appropriate AMD-GPU entry from the pop-up menu. Your PlatformInfo will be transferred into the new file, and the new config.plist will be downloaded to your Downloads folder

Hi all,

When I upgrade to OpenCore 067 from previous OpenCore versions (ie 066, 065) OpenCore configurator, Hackintool and KextUpdater don't recognise the new version installed.
I tried ResetNVRam but still those instruments recognise the previous version.

What am I doing wrong?
Thanks for your help.

Because GPUs are so difficult to acquire these days, your question is a good one to address once again:
  • Yes we can install macOS using config-Intel-iGPU.plist
  • Once an AMD discrete GPU is installed, we just need to transfer our PlatformInfo credentials into config-AMD-GPU.plist and reboot
  • This can be done through HackinDROM by using the CopyConfig feature. Simply upload your existing config.plist and select the appropriate AMD-GPU entry from the pop-up menu. Your PlatformInfo will be transferred into the new file, and the new config.plist will be downloaded to your Downloads folder
Fantastic ! Thank you !

Hi all,

When I upgrade to OpenCore 067 from previous OpenCore versions (ie 066, 065) OpenCore configurator, Hackintool and KextUpdater don't recognise the new version installed.
I tried ResetNVRam but still those instruments recognise the previous version.

What am I doing wrong?
Thanks for your help.
Please see this post:

A more complete set of Terminal commands is located at the bottom of this WhateverGreen manual:

Which application crashes when these commands are entered? By the way we should use iMac19,1 instead of 19,2. iMac20,2 is okay.

I have a 4K DLP projector with a 133-inch screen. Never really understood how folks can watch movies on a teeny tiny computer screen in relation to that behemoth! :)
@CaseySJ
I tried all of those commands already prior to postings any questions in regards to DRM, BIOS, etc. I try to be as thorough as possible when following instructions so that I don't miss anything or misunderstand anything. The application that crashed was the Apple TV app itself. In regards to DRM, it doesn't really matter to me. I am just the type of person that wants to try and figure out how to make something work even though I will probably never use it :banghead: LOL.

By the way that was a typo my computer description is 19,1 ;-). In regards to using iMac20,2 my main concern is video editing performance in Final Cut Pro. Do you think the performance would be the same or possibly better ;-) if I switched to iMac20,2. The computer runs perfectly fine right now using iMac 19,1 using your open core 0.6.7 EFI along with the F5 Bios.

In comparison to my X99 iMac Pro system this system is faster, draws less power, and is more quiet as well. Whats interesting comparing the two systems is that when I am encoding video files the X99 iMac Pro system uses more processor power hence making the system louder as the fans start to kickup. I have a total of 6 Noctua fans in a Fractal R5 case and even though that case is supposed to be quiet it gets a little loud when rendering videos. The system is overclocked to 4.5GHZ so that doesn't help in regards to noise.

On this new Z490 iMac 19,1 system when rendering videos in Final Cut Pro the processors never really crank up. Encoding H.265 footage runs the processor at around 4 to 4.2GHZ with an average CPU temp of 45C , encoding H.264 footage runs the processor at around 3 to 3.2GHZ with an average CPU temp of 42C. Somehow the processors run slower around 3 to 4.2 GHZ yet the video encoding is faster and the system is relatively quiet in comparison to the X99 iMac Pro. I should also note that I am using the Be Quiet Pure Base 500DX case. I thought that this case would be louder then my Fractal Design R5 but with this new system it is actually more quiet. I am glad that I purchased this case good airflow, quiet, and good price point. Thanks again CaseySJ needless to say but I am very
Happy with my new system.
:headbang:
:mrgreen:

Last edited:
@CaseySJ
I tried all of those commands already prior to postings any questions in regards to DRM, BIOS, etc. I try to be as thorough as possible when following instructions so that I don't miss anything or misunderstand anything. The application that crashed was the Apple TV app itself. In regards to DRM, it doesn't really matter to me. I am just the type of person that wants to try and figure out how to make something work even though I will probably never use it :banghead: LOL.
It should have worked, but we can certainly leave it for another time.

By the way that was a typo my computer description is 19,1 ;-). In regards to using iMac20,2 my main concern is video editing performance in Final Cut Pro. Do you think the performance would be the same or possibly better ;-) if I switched to iMac20,2. The computer runs perfectly fine right now using iMac 19,1 using your open core 0.6.7 EFI along with the F5 Bios.
There's no measurable/consistent difference in performance between iMac19,1 and iMac20,2. Because iMac19,1 is working fine, I would suggest keeping it (same as me).

I am glad that I purchased this case good airflow, quiet, and good price point. Thanks again CaseySJ needless to say but I am very
Happy with my new system.
:headbang:
:mrgreen:
Glad to hear it!

** Possible problem with Big Sur 11.3 Public Beta 4 **

11.3 Beta 4 released to the public a day or two ago has been very problematic on my Z490 Vision D:
  • Unable to perform in-place update through System Preferences --> Software Update.
  • Consequently, downloaded full installer using GibMacOS, but installation process hanged repeatedly during early stage of phase 1 install.
  • Ran the full installer on Apple MacBook Pro 13" to perform a clean install on an external SATA SSD. Installation on MacBook Pro was successful.
  • After transferring SATA SSD to Z490 Vision D, "welcome" wizard came up and I specified country, account name, etc., but system crashed before the wizard could complete.
  • Rebooting the system brought me to the Login screen and I could log in, but system repeatedly crashed after a few minutes.
Finally, decided to do a clean install of 11.3 Beta 3, and it's been running perfectly. If you plan to install Beta 4, please make a full bootable backup first. Might be an even better idea to erase the backup disk before starting the backup. This allows Carbon Copy Cloner to use APFS Replicator, which is the only way macOS system can be backed up (along with all user folders).

Back