Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

The motherboard shipped with a version F6 BIOS. Do you recommend updating to a newer version or is it possible to downgrade to version F5? I noticed Gigabyte's website does not list version F6 of the BIOS, so does that mean this is not a stable version of the BIOS? I only see versions F5, F7c, and F20d.
Hello @Media,

Glad to hear the build went well. BIOS F6 should be okay, but I would recommend monitoring it for a while. It is always possible to install an earlier version such as F5 if it comes to that.

I also noticed that I cannot playback any movies that I purchased on iTunes. Is there a workaround for the DRM to play the movies? It is not that important because I don't normally watch movies on my computer but if there is a way to make it work please let me know. I don't want to use iMac Pro for the computer description because I prefer the faster decoding encoding in Final Cut Pro with Quicksync. I use iMac Pro for my X99 system and it is a lot slower than this system when working with H.265 footage. Thanks again for all your help ;-)
In the Troubleshooting/FAQs section please have a look at this entry:

8D22B290-1C94-44F8-A43A-F683927BFF74.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi! Thank you for the build! Just got it working. This has to be one of the smoothest + ultraexplained (something I really really appreciate) install guides. I was wondering, will it work if I add a second GPU? My current build is the Z490 D + Intel i9 + AMD RADEON RX 5800 XT and my aim is to have a double Rx5800, I've read mixed post about and some dudes on youtube with it going, yet I don't want to spend the cash for a failed test. Thank you!!!

Hi! Thank you for the build! Just got it working. This has to be one of the smoothest + ultraexplained (something I really really appreciate) install guides. I was wondering, will it work if I add a second GPU? My current build is the Z490 D + Intel i9 + AMD RADEON RX 5800 XT and my aim is to have a double Rx5800, I've read mixed post about and some dudes on youtube with it going, yet I don't want to spend the cash for a failed test. Thank you!!!
Hello @imnotjack,

Two Radeon RX 5800 XTs will work, but only if you send the other one to me! :) Seriously, though, both of them will work. Although I have not tested two 5800s myself, I have tested two RX 580s -- one in a PCIe internal slot and the other in an eGPU. Both work just fine.

P.S. You're lucky to find not one, but two RX 5800 XTs. Hope the price was acceptable.

@CaseySJ Hi!

Great!! I'm looking forward to it then, but as you said, I can't find a second one yet. I'll let you know when I got it! Thanks again for everything!

The Z590 VISON G:
I'm curious about the "ALC 4080 works like External USB Sound Card", said ohchang.
What does that mean that AppleALC kext is no longer necessary? It doesn't look so Vanilla anymore. (I like the looks when it sees built-in.)
Or do we just have to wait until ALC kext get updated with ALC 4080.....???
Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 6.17.45 AM.png

Last edited:
The Z590 VISON G:
I'm curious about the "ALC 4080 works like External USB Sound Card", said ohchang.
What does that mean that AppleALC kext is no longer necessary? It doesn't look so Vanilla anymore. (I like the looks when it sees built-in.)
Or do we just have to wait until ALC kext get updated with ALC 4080.....???
Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 6.17.45 AM.png
Did you not read the procedure on ohchang Z590 VISION G BUILD

7. Built-in Audio (ALC 4080) no need any settings or kexts. ALC 4080 uses USB HS14 port. It looks like External USB Sound Card.

Reactions: jd6
@dehjomz, @CamoViking, @CaseySJ
Thank you for your input and suggestions.

@CaseySJ in regards to the DRM. I tried entering those commands into terminal using iMac 19,2 as the computer description and the Application crashed. I think it might be because @lerass is using iMac 20,2 as his computer description which has the T2 chip just like the iMac Pro.

Anyway not a big deal. I don't use iTunes anymore because I use Spotify to listen to all of my music. In regards to movies, I have 2 projectors in my house for that purpose ;-)

I decided to flash the firmware from F6 to F5 for a couple of reasons.
First, the computer was working fine then all of a sudden powered down and shut down this is while I was surfing the web. I have a brand new Seasonic 850 Watt platinum power supply so I am pretty sure that is not the issue. This only happened once but that is more than enough for me. Second, is that when I was cold booting sometimes I would get a black screen without access to the bios or open core or anything then all of a sudden the computer would be at the login screen.

What I found interesting is that when I flashed the firmware from F6 to F5 my benchmarks changed although I am using the same exact settings. The CPU temperatures actually increased about 4 degrees going from F6 to F5 when I was benchmarking the computer using Cinebench R23 looped. I am going to drop the voltage till the CPU maxes out at 70%C when benchmarking using Cinebench R23. In terms of real world performance with video editing I don't notice a difference. Bruce X test finishes at the same time 8 1/2 to 9 seconds. So far so good with version F5 everything working as it should :)

Geekbench 5 here are the results:

Fixed Core Voltage 1.25 LLC LOW
"Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Single Fan Facing Up" I didn't realize that the motherboard would not fit the Noctua NH-D15 with the fans facing the rear of the case. I also took out the second fan and placed it into the front of the case.

Bios F6: Open CL 48614, Metal 54923, CPU Single 1287 Multi 10110
Cinebench R23 Looped-72%C MAX
Bios F5: Open CL 45125, Metal 49236, CPU Single 1397 Multi 10146
Cinebench R23 Looped-76%C MAX

Attachments

• Bios F6 1_25V LLC_LOW1.png
    Bios F6 1_25V LLC_LOW1.png
    53.7 KB · Views: 58
  • Bios F6 1_25V LLC_LOW2.png
    Bios F6 1_25V LLC_LOW2.png
    54 KB · Views: 57
  • Bios F6 1_25V LLC_LOW3.png
    Bios F6 1_25V LLC_LOW3.png
    57.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Bios F5 1_25V LLC_LOW1.png
    Bios F5 1_25V LLC_LOW1.png
    53.6 KB · Views: 54
  • Bios F5 1_25V LLC_LOW2.png
    Bios F5 1_25V LLC_LOW2.png
    53.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Bios F5 1_25V LLC_LOW3.png
    Bios F5 1_25V LLC_LOW3.png
    57.1 KB · Views: 52
Did you not read the procedure on ohchang Z590 VISION G BUILD

7. Built-in Audio (ALC 4080) no need any settings or kexts. ALC 4080 uses USB HS14 port. It looks like External USB Sound Card.
yes i did but i just wondering which is now better or there is any down sides to it. thats all.

Hello @Media,

Glad to hear the build went well. BIOS F6 should be okay, but I would recommend monitoring it for a while. It is always possible to install an earlier version such as F5 if it comes to that.

In the Troubleshooting/FAQs section please have a look at this entry:

View attachment 512302

Last edited:
@CaseySJ I noticed that the GPU sensor isn't working. I tried disabling the integrated Graphics and still not showing temperature values. In addition is there a way to tweak the gpu fan? Coz it is turned off most of time although i'm aware that by default it's bios setting is set to silent mode where fan will only start spinning during heavy loads maybe there's a away to keep it always spinning

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 8.19.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 8.19.07 PM.png
    62.5 KB · Views: 65
Back