Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

You guys seen this?

Apple apparently moving to randomized serial numbers in early 2021. So Z490 might be last hackable platform:

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/03/09/apple-randomized-serial-numbers-early-2021/

What kind of impact is this going to have? Could be death of hackintosh no?
As far as I can tell, this only applies to new Macs which most of which will be Apple Silicon-based. Nothing is stopping us from using iMac20,1 for the forseeable future, and if necessary, spoofing CPUID. In fact, the Z590 is already working with Comet Lake on Hackintosh (see: Ohchang's build: Gigabyte Z590 Vision G + i7-10700K + AMD RX580(partialy iGPU accelerated) | tonymacx86.com). The challenge going forward will be the changes Intel will make to x86 (Alder Lake's hybrid architecture, Rocket Lake's new Xe-based iGPU), and how those new features will interact with macOS.

But there may come a time when Intel x86 is no longer supported on macOS, and, at that point, hackintosh (on new OSes) will be challenging. But who knows if a general purpose ARM-based chip (that can be hacked to run macOS) will make it to market.

However, I have a feeling that Apple's future M-series based Silicon will be sooo compelling and so hyper-performant that they will blow Intel out of the water and many of us won't want to have a power-hungry hack anymore. What's the point of spending $$$ to buy an Intel chip to run macOS slower than spending that same $$$ on an M-series actual Mac?

We'll see what Intel can do with Alder Lake, then Meteor Lake, and then Lunar Lake.

As far as I can tell, this only applies to new Macs which most of which will be Apple Silicon-based. Nothing is stopping us from using iMac20,1 for the forseeable future, and if necessary, spoofing CPUID. In fact, z590 is already working with Comet Lake on Hackintosh (see: Ohchang's build: Gigabyte Z590 Vision G + i7-10700K + AMD RX580(partialy iGPU accelerated) | tonymacx86.com). The challenge going forward will be the changes Intel will make to x86 (Alder Lake's hybrid architecture, Rocket Lake's new Xe-based iGPU), and how those new features will interact with macOS.

But there may come a time when Intel x86 is no longer supported on macOS, and at that point, hackintosh (on new OSes) will be challenging, but who knows if a general purpose ARM-based chip (that can be hacked to run macOS) will make it to market.

But I have a feeling that Apple's future M-series based Silicon will be sooo compelling and so hyper-performant that they will blow Intel out of the water and many of us won't want to have a power-hungry hack anymore. What's the point of spending $$$ to buy an Intel chip to run macOS slower than spending that same $$$ on an M-series actual mac?

We'll see what Intel can do with Alder Lake, then Meteor Lake, and then Lunar Lake.
Just some thoughts:
  • AMD is reportedly working on ARM-based processors.
  • If macOS kernel can be patched on the fly to run on Ryzen CPUs, can a similar technique be used to run Apple Silicon version of macOS on third-party ARM processors with a little patch-magic?
  • However, I also feel ("feel" -- because it's too early to tell) that Apple might deliver truly compelling desktop computers with sufficient modularity at an acceptable price.
  • The best way, I think, for Apple to discourage Hackintoshing is by giving us what we've been yearning for.
    • If Apple is bringing back additional ports on their laptops, then it's a sign they're listening.
    • Apple already replaced butterfly keyboard with traditional scissor keyboard, and restored the physical "Esc" key on Touch Bar laptops. Again, a sign they're listening.
  • Apple sent a Questionnaire to many of their iPad mini customers (myself included) asking about our thoughts on the product and what we'd like to see.
    • This happened about a year ago.
    • Now I'm seeing rumors of a new iPad mini 6 that just might incorporate most of the feedback.
  • However, we don't have any meaningful information about Apple's own mid- to high-end GPU.
    • What GPUs will ship in Apple Silicon desktop systems?
    • Will there be PCIe slots? Will those slots accept AMD GPUs?
As mentioned earlier, 2021 and 2022 should be quite exciting in the world of Macintosh. My wait-and-see stance remains...

2021-mbp-hdmi-slot-3d.jpg

Source: MacRumors

Last edited:
@CaseySJ You recommend a NativeMonitorBrightness tool in your build guide. I should report that it doesn't work correctly with Apple LED Display (the one that just like Thunderbolt, but only Displayport :)).
As soon as you touch the slider it dims the display and there's no way to get the old brightness back. Its 100% is actually around 50%. And there's no way to fix it (unplugging monitor from power doesn't help, it remembers the setting) unless you can manipulate the DDC/CI signals.

I've found and installed MonitorControl and it correctly works with both my monitors and seems to be better maintained and polished.
Yes I've been recommending MonitorControl for some time. Please see Post #1:

Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 6.29.43 AM.png

However, I'll modify that to include "Brightness" in addition to Volume.

Just some thoughts:
  • If macOS kernel can be patched on the fly to run on Ryzen CPUs, can a similar technique be used to run Apple Silicon version of macOS on third-party ARM processors with a little patch-magic?
  • However, I also feel ("feel" -- because it's too early to tell) that Apple might deliver truly compelling desktop computers with sufficient modularity at an acceptable price.
  • The best way, I think, for Apple to discourage Hackintoshing is by giving us what we've been yearning for.
    • If Apple is bringing back additional ports on their laptops, then it's a sign they're listening.
    • Apple already replaced butterfly keyboard with traditional scissor keyboard, and restored the physical "Esc" key on Touch Bar laptops. Again, a sign they're listening.
  • Apple sent a Questionnaire to many of their iPad mini customers (myself included) asking about our thoughts on the product and what we'd like to see.
    • Now I'm seeing rumors of a new iPad mini 6 that just might incorporate most of the feedback.
  • However, we don't have any meaningful information about Apple's own mid- to high-end GPU.
As mentioned earlier, 2021 and 2022 should be quite exciting in the world of Macintosh. My wait-and-see stance remains...
Very interesting. Apple sent me a questionnaire about their gaming service/appleTV a while back.

A modular desktop-based Apple Silicon Mac with a couple of PCIe4 or 5.0 ports, thunderbolt4/usb4, and support for AMD GPUs would do very well in the market place. Apple could do it, they should do it..... but will they??

It's frustrating how much Apple locks down the hardware. For example, they solder their SSDs to the logic board, and they've been using proprietary connectors for their SSDs. However, we know macOS boots just fine from standard m.2 and sata-based SSDs. There's no technical reason for why they lock the platform down the way they do.

I hope they integrate feedback from customers and bring modularity back. I loved the days when we could add memory to our macbooks or rip out the spinning sata hard drive and get an instant boost of adrenaline aka speed by installing a sata ssd.

I wish Apple could listen to customers about the price tag :p
Just some thoughts:

LOL. But if you think about it, the M1 macbook air is $999, and the M1 mac mini is $699, and they blow more expensive macs away in terms of performance.

So from a certain point of view, they've made hyper-performance cheaper.

I know!!

But consider this:
  • The entry level M1 MacBook Air -- yes the little MacBook Air -- has 8 cores and runs 3.5x faster.
    • Not 15% faster
    • Not 40% faster
    • But 350% faster
  • The on-board GPU runs up to 5x faster than Intel UHD 630.
    • Not 40% faster
    • Not 75% faster
    • But 500% faster
  • And the battery life? Up to 18 hours compared to 12 on the previous model.
    • But the previous model never got 12 hours.
    • My 2020 13" MacBook Pro barely gets 5 hours.
Now how much MORE would you pay for a MacBook Air with the specs above?
  • Would you pay $500 more?
  • Would you pay $750 more?
  • How about $100 LESS?
Normally people would stop me here and shout, "What planet are you living on?"

But do you realize that we've already moved to a different planet? o_O

Absolutely, The M1 price is very attractive considering the performance and low power consumption.
On the other hand, one reason the price is low is that M1 is a better version of A12Z which has been used on iPad Pro for a while. Not sure if they can maintain that if they announce 12/16/32/64 core machines.
One thing Apple likes to do is overcharge on memory and SSD. And Apple purposely made them soldered onboard. That could bother some people.
LOL. But if you think about it, the M1 macbook air is $999, and the M1 mac mini is $699, and they blow more expensive macs away in terms of performance.

So from a certain point of view, they've made hyper-performance cheaper.

The M1 Macs price is simply so un-Apple!
I can't think of any reason to hack a laptop anymore given the price and performance of M1.

I know!!

But consider this:
  • The entry level M1 MacBook Air -- yes the little MacBook Air -- has 8 cores and runs 3.5x faster.
    • Not 15% faster
    • Not 40% faster
    • But 350% faster
  • The on-board GPU runs up to 5x faster than Intel UHD 630.
    • Not 40% faster
    • Not 75% faster
    • But 500% faster
  • And the battery life? Up to 18 hours compared to 12 on the previous model.
    • But the previous model never got 12 hours.
    • My 2020 13" MacBook Pro barely gets 5 hours.
Now how much MORE would you pay for a MacBook Air with the specs above?
  • Would you pay $500 more?
  • Would you pay $750 more?
  • How about $100 LESS?
Normally people would stop me here and shout, "What planet are you living on?"

But do you realize that we've already moved to a different planet? o_O

Back