Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hi everyone,

I currently experience an odd problem with my screen on that system. OpenCore 0.6.6 version is currently installed, but it was already present before. As far as I know, it only happens with the HMDI connection (the DP connection does not show this issue) between my AMD RX 5700 XT and my monitor (ViewSonic VP3481... a great one, highly recommended :thumbup:).

Description of the symptoms:

The screen turns black for a very short moment (five seconds max) randomly at any possible moment without any visible causal condition. Once this moment is elapsed, then the screen goes back to its normal behaviour or in worst cases, enters in "panic mode" and turns black again several times in a row, or show some kinda of grey fuzzy pixels. In that last case, the hope that the screen is ok again is lost. So, turning the screen off and on with the power button is the ultimate solution I have found. Then the signal is back to normal.

As I said, there is no app or behaviour which may trigger that issue. It can happen when the computer is idle or under heavy charge. It might be a hardware issue with the graphic card (even though the problem happens on both HDMI1 and HMDI2 ports), or the HDMI cable (even though I bought a very good one), the monitor maybe, or even the power supply (as I could read it in some forums) which might be too weak to drive my graphic card in ultra wide resolution mode.. I hardly believe it as it's a 750W Corsair robust thingy which never disappointed me (and my hardware configuration is far from being hard core). Anyway, thanks to my multi boot system, I'd say that I could filter out all these assumptions, as absolutely NO black screen phenomenon happened during my long Windows 10 sessions.

I would vote for a graphic driver issue under MacOS. I initially thought that it might be due to the 100 Hz display mode (I could turn on the option in display settings as my monitor supports it), but switching back to 60Hz does not help. I somewhere read that it might also be due to the HDMI Audio signal, possibly unsupported, but disabling audio in the OSD of my monitor does not help either.

I would say that the problem is "randomly' disturbing: it's ok when it happens every hour of usage, but there are also high "epileptic" phases when the symptoms show up every 3-5 minutes... at this point that tends to be really disturbing while you try to focus on your work.

1. Does someone by chance already know about this issue? I could not actually find a real match with my issues out there. I would feel less alone then... it's important not to feel alone, especially during these COVID times :crazy:

2. Icing on the cake: would anyone have a solution for this? a kind of unhoped-for remedy. I could actually switch back to my DP connection, but I have another computer (an old laptop I use for home office) connected to it, which only accepts DP. So that would be a pity to always exchange the cables, whereas my monitor supports a shitload of different input types...

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Last edited:
Hello @nss,
  • Do you have multiple operating systems installed such as Windows and/or Linux?
  • When you get this error, just go to BIOS Setup --> Boot and set first boot priority to the name of your macOS SSD.
Yes indeed I have Windows and MacOS installed, I'll try this next time it happens. Thanks!

Hi everyone,

Description of the symptoms:

The screen turns black for a very short moment (five seconds max) randomly at any possible moment without any visible causal condition. Once this moment is elapsed, then the screen goes back to its normal behaviour or in worst cases, enters in "panic mode" and turns black again several times in a row, or show some kinda of grey fuzzy pixels. In that last case, the hope that the screen is ok again is lost. So, turning the screen off and on with the power button is the ultimate solution I have found. Then the signal is back to normal.

I am experiencing the same problem with my AMD B550 Vision D with an ASRock RX 5600 XT GPU and macOS Big Sur 11.3 Beta. I do not recall experiencing this problem with an earlier Big Sur.

I would vote for a graphic driver issue under MacOS. I initially thought that it might be due to the 100 Hz display mode (I could turn on the option in display settings as my monitor supports it), but switching back to 60Hz does not help. I somewhere read that it might also be due to the HDMI Audio signal, possibly unsupported, but disabling audio in the OSD of my monitor does not help either.
This is my conclusion as well. In Windows the screen does not blank out momentarily. I'm hoping this gets fixed in 11.3 Release version.

1. Does someone by chance already know about this issue? I could not actually find a real match with my issues out there. I would feel less alone then... it's important not to feel alone, especially during these COVID times :crazy:
You're not alone. :)

2. Icing on the cake: would anyone have a solution for this? a kind of unhoped-for remedy. I could actually switch back to my DP connection, but I have another computer (an old laptop I use for home office) connected to it, which only accepts DP. So that would be a pity to always exchange the cables, whereas my monitor supports a shitload of different input types...

Thanks in advance for your help! :)
This seems to be a problem with the RX 5000 series driver so hopefully it will be fixed in an upcoming macOS update.

Thanks @CaseySJ, for your quick reply! (as always).

Oh, interesting... because I am actually running a Catalina 10.15.7... So I guess that there are minor chances that this issue will get fixed on that OS as well.

Would you confirm that this issue only concerns the HDMI connection?

Thanks @CaseySJ, for your quick reply! (as always).

Oh, interesting... because I am actually running a Catalina 10.15.7... So I guess that there are minor chances that this issue will get fixed on that OS as well.

Would you confirm that this issue only concerns the HDMI connection?
I have just switched over to DisplayPort and will see if the blanking issue occurs over the next hour or two.

I have just switched over to DisplayPort and will see if the blanking issue occurs over the next hour or two.
@maeluse,

It's been over an hour and there have been no graphics glitches with DisplayPort. So it seems the problem only affects HDMI.

Great! Thanks so much for taking the time to check that! :thumbup:

So, it looks like we really face the exact same issue.

I would gladly update to Big Sur (especially as the latest version of Intel BT/WiFi drivers now supports it if I got it well) so that I can get this bug hopefully fixed soon (much less chances on Catalina most probably)... However, I have an UA Satellite Firewire gear which is not supported anymore on Big Sur (FireWire support is dropped by Apple since this release)... So I guess I will stay on Catalina for the moment, hoping that this bug will be fixed there too.

... Anyway, I will be very glad if you could leave here a short message in case a Big Sur update fixes your issue. Maybe it will be convincing enough to do this update and say goodbye to my good old UA Satellite. :cry:

I have a 5700xt and the screen goes black momentarily when windows or mac os is logged into (never any other time). I have a DisplayPort cable driving a 5k monitor

Are 5K monitors "officially" supported through DisplayPort on Hackintosh systems? I always thought that one needs a Thunderbolt cable and a flashed thunderbolt chip...

Are 5K monitors "officially" supported through DisplayPort on Hackintosh systems? I always thought that one needs a thunderbolt cable and a flashed Thunderbolt chip...
I have a planar Planar IX2790 It has HDMI 2.0 x 3, DisplayPort 1.4 x 2

I think they are discontinuing it. I had to send the original back because of burn in but the replacement is a lot better

Attachments

• planar-ix2790-specsheet.jpg
    planar-ix2790-specsheet.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 3.32.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 3.32.07 PM.png
    40.6 KB · Views: 35
Back