Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hackintool seems to have a bug with that. I know I'm loading the right EFI because it's the only one with the latest kexts, and someone reported seeing 0.6.6 still to the Hackintool GitHub repo.
If you have ExposeSensitiveData bitmap set in your config.plist, you can check the OpenCore version with this terminal command:
Code:
nvram 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:opencore-version

If you have ExposeSensitiveData bitmap set in your config.plist, you can check the opencore version with this terminal command:
Code:
nvram 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:opencore-version
Comes back 0.6.6 for me even though I've copied the files from OpenCore 0.6.7 release 3 times.

They might have forgot to increment the version somewhere I guess.

Anandtech has managed to purchase an 11700k Rocket Lake ahead of the March 30 launch, and claims it hasn’t broken NDA in publishing its review.

Conclusion: Rocket Lake, on average, offers a performance upgrade above Skylake/Comet Lake in some instances. But, under certain workloads (avx512), the chip draws significant amounts of power and almost melts down with the temperatures. Ryzen 5800x is still the dominant x86 8-core processor. In some instances, especially in gaming, the 11700k performs worse than the 10700K.

Also, the article states there seems to be latency issues with the L3 cache (worse than Comet Lake), and I have heard rumors that Intel is going to release a microcode update to address this.

All in all, unless something changes between now and launch day, I don’t get the point of Rocket Lake at all, given that Alder Lake is coming soon. Hopefully, Intel can iron out whatever seething issues that still exist.

Last edited:
Hackintool seems to have a bug with that. I know I'm loading the right EFI because it's the only one with the latest kexts, and someone reported seeing 0.6.6 still to the Hackintool GitHub repo.
Did you reset NVRAM? (Space bar at openCore boot). Remember that after this reset the default boot disk may have changed! In this case do not forget to select it and at OC boot and then in system preferences -> boot disk
After reinstalling 0.6.7 and resetting NVRAM, HackIntool normally recognizes the change to 0.6.7.

Last edited:
Did you reset NVRAM? (Space bar at openCore boot). Remember that after this reset the default boot disk may have changed! In this case do not forget to select it and at OC boot and then in system preferences -> boot disk
After reinstalling 0.6.7 and resetting NVRAM, HackIntool normally recognizes the change to 0.6.7.

After updating my EFI folder to OC 0.6.7 I observed the same apparent issue with the OC boot version number. With prior OC versions it didn't seem necessary to reset NVRAM to get the updated OC version displayed, and I hadn't done so.

The Change Log for OC 0.6.7 states:
  • Fixed opencore-version reporting the incorrect version in rare cases
So some changes were made in the code which apparently now requires resetting NVRAM before the correct OC boot version shows up in Hackintool, and OpenCore Configurator recognizes the correct boot version.

@CaseySJ's mini-guide for updating to OC 0.6.7 specifically states to reset NVRAM on the first boot.

Hello @CaseySJ tried updating to the 0.6.7. but after booting from it Hackintool is still reporting OC 0.6.6. Im def booting from the test usb stick w/ your latest file. I reformatted and tried twice just to be sure... Is anyone else seeing this??? Maybe they didn't version up the binary before release???

Thanks for taking a look
After loading the EFI folder on to the NVMe and doing a 2cd PRAM reset hacktool and OpenCore Configurator are now reporting .0.6.7.

Thanks

Kernel --> Patch --> F1/F2 Brightness Keys --> Disabled
Hi, why did you remove those 2 patches? Will this break brightness control from keyboard?

Thanks

Hi, why did you remove those 2 patches? Will this break brightness control from keyboard?

Thanks
Gut reaction answer: Has it broken brightness control for you? If so, just enable the checkboxes. Simple as that.

More considered answer: Those kernel patches are outdated in Big Sur and possibly Catalina. They were being ignored anyway.

Last edited:
Anandtech has managed to purchase an 11700k Rocket Lake ahead of the March 30 launch, and claims it hasn’t broken NDA in publishing its review.

Conclusion: Rocket Lake, on average, offers a performance upgrade above Skylake/Comet lake in some instances, but under certain workloads (avx512) the chip draws significant amounts of power and almost melts down with the temperatures. Ryzen 5800x is still the dominant x86 8-core processor. In some instances, especially in gaming, the 11700k performs worse than the 10700k.

Also, the article states there seems to be latency issues with the L3 cache (worse than Comet Lake), and I have heard rumors that Intel is going to release a microcode update to address this.

All in all, unless something changes between now and launch day, I don’t get the point of Rocket Lake at all, given that Alder Lake is coming soon. Hopefully Intel can iron out whatever seething issues that still exist.

I've been following this saga on YouTube, where it appears Intel does not mind that the embargo on Rocket Lake reviews was violated. AnandTech obtained the processor via retail sales channel, which means it's in the public domain, and therefore arguably fair game.

I continue to take a wait-and-see attitude in 2021. Things that will really tempt me in 2021 or by early 2022:

From Apple:
  • Small form factor Mac Pro. According to Jon Prosser, it may resemble a somewhat wider and much taller Mac mini.
  • 14-inch redesigned MacBook Pro with more ports and mini LED screen.
  • New 27" or 30+" Apple branded consumer-level monitor.
From the general computing market:
  • Next generation AMD AM5 socket and 4th-gen Zen processors
  • Thunderbolt 4 Maple Ridge add-in-cards
  • Intel Alder Lake processors (no more 14nm++++++++++)
Note:
  • I don't play video games except Chess, Scrabble, and Solitaire.
    • Scrabble and Solitaire are played mostly to pass the time on long flights.
  • Hence, I don't care about high end video cards, but may purchase an AMD RX 6700 series GPU when or if Apple provides the drivers.

Back