Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hi, everbody:

On the new Gigabyte Z590 Vision D and G they have (VisionLINK TB connector (Intel® Thunderbolt™ 4/USB Type-C® port).

Is that the same as Thunderbolt or what, coz. on the Gigabyte site looks like they claim that it is.

So....anyone can explaine that to me svp....? Or is it just a new output where which needs a new monitor with USB-c input.

VisionLINK TB connector vs thunderbolt...

Z590 Vision G has that output but no TB4.

View attachment 511063

Thunderbolt also has pcie tunneling, which is missing from gigabyte's vague description of their VisionLink port.

Reactions: jd6
Thunderbolt also has pcie tunneling, which is missing from gigabyte's vague description of their VisionLink port.
If VisionLink is just a proprietary name for the standard USB4/Thunderbolt 4 port (which it most definitely seems to be) then this is very alarming practice by Gigabyte and possibly others. The USB/TB naming scheme is already confusing; it would become a naming nightmare if every board vendor adopted a proprietary name.

If VisionLink is just a proprietary name for the standard USB4/Thunderbolt 4 port (which it most definitely seems to be) then this is very alarming practice by Gigabyte and possibly others. The USB/TB naming scheme is already confusing; it would become a naming nightmare if every board vendor adopted a proprietary name.
It really is, its very confusing. I wanted to buy first the Z490 Vison G but now the Z590 Vison G looks like to have YB4 but just named VisionLink. Now I'm wondering to buy that one instead especially because Apple is busy to bring the Apple Cinema Display back in the form of Display XDR but cheaper, so it well be very handy if have that port.

** OpenCore 0.6.7 EFI for Z490 Vision D **
Supports both Catalina and Big Sur
Please do not quote this post in its entirely. Use a link instead.

Requires OpenCore Configurator 2.29.0.1 or Newer.

URGENT: Set OpenCore Configurator "Preferences" to OpenCore 0.6.7 Release Version

NOTE:
If you are using OpenIntelWireless to drive the on-board Intel AX201 WiFi/BT module, please jump to this post instead (updated for OpenCore 0.6.7 with OpenIntelWireless 1.3.0-Alpha drivers).​

The formal release of OpenCore 0.6.7 has arrived, along with an update of WhateverGreen, AppleALC, and VirtualSMC.

This EFI contains the following changes:

Bootloader / Kexts:
All of the items listed below are official builds.
  • OpenCore 0.6.7
  • WhateverGreen 1.4.8
  • AppleALC 1.5.8
  • VirtualSMC 1.2.1
config.plist Changes:
  • Misc --> Security --> SecureBootModel --> Disabled (change to Default for OpenIntelWireless)
  • Kernel --> Patch --> F1/F2 Brightness Keys --> Disabled
  • NVRAM --> Add --> csr-active-config --> 00000000 (SIP Enabled for System Integrity Protection)
    • If you need to disable SIP, set this to E7030000
  • NVRAM --> Delete --> csr-active-config (allows us to change SIP without needing to Reset NVRAM)
How to Use:
  1. Find a USB flash disk with an EFI partition, or format the USB flash disk in Disk Utility with Scheme = GUID Partition Map and Format = MacOS Extended (Journaled).
  2. Mount EFI partition of the USB flash disk.
  3. Download the attached ZIP into the top level of the EFI partition of the USB flash disk. When the file is unzipped, there will be a folder called OC-067-VISION-D.
  4. Rename this folder to EFI, otherwise the system will not boot.
  5. Use HackinDROM to transfer PlatformInfo from existing OpenCore config.plist to new version. Please follow the guide by clicking here and select one of the following from the CopyConfig feature.
    • Z490 Vision D OC 067 AMD GPU - CaseySJ
    • Z490 Vision D OC 067 Intel IGPU - CaseySJ
After the modified config.plist has been copied to the EFI/OC folder of the USB flash disk, proceed as follows:
  1. Reboot and press F12 at the BIOS Splash Screen. When the BIOS Boot Menu (not OpenCore Picker) appears, select the USB flash disk.
  2. Warning: It is necessary to Reset NVRAM one time prior to booting macOS. This can be done by pressing spacebar at the OpenCore Picker and choosing Reset NVRAM. On multi-boot systems, select the default startup disk in System Preferences --> Startup Disk.
  3. At the OpenCore 0.6.7 Picker menu, select and boot the internal macOS disk.
  4. If everything works correctly, copy the new OpenCore EFI folder from the USB flash disk to the EFI partition of the main macOS SSD.
CAUTION:
  • If you are using a custom Thunderbolt SSDT or any other custom SSDTs or Kexts, please update your config.plist accordingly.
  • During startup or reboot, the Gigabyte splash screen may take several seconds to clear, which means the OpenCore Picker GUI will take more time to appear. If this happens, the delay could be fixed by removing AudioDxe.efi from the OpenCore config.plist.
NOTE:
  • Because some systems may not boot properly without a Fake CPU ID, the following are pre-entered:
    • OpenCore Configurator --> Kernel --> Cpuid1Data = EB060800 00000000 00000000 00000000
    • OpenCore Configurator --> Kernel --> Cpuid1Mask = FFFFFFFF 00000000 00000000 00000000
  • You may delete both of these entries and check if your system still boots.

Gigabyte Z490 Vision G (not D)

OpenCore 0.6.7 EFI folder for the Gigabyte Z490 Vision G is also attached below. The filename is:

EFI-067-VISION-G-NOT-D.zip

Attachments

• OC-067-VISION-D.zip
    4.7 MB · Views: 275
  • EFI-067-VISION-G-NOT-D.zip
    4.7 MB · Views: 130
Last edited:
It really is, its very confusing. I wanted to buy first the Z490 Vison G but now the Z590 Vison G looks like to have YB4 but just named VisionLink. Now I'm wondering to buy that one instead especially because Apple is busy to bring the Apple Cinema Display back in the form of Display XDR but cheaper, so it well be very handy if have that port.
You could also consider the z590 Vision D when it finally launches... which has known Thunderbolt 4 ports. Also the MSI Z590 Ace has TB4 and looks good, too. But I can definitely see the appeal of the Vision G.

Anyone else feel this board is slow to get though post?
On my old Z79x-UD7 TH, once things were setup and fast boot enabled, it would go from power-on to Clover in about 2 seconds. With Cover set to 1 second, and the OS on SSD, going from power-on to login felt very fast.

On this board it seems to take over 10 seconds just to get to the OpenCore chooser, even with fast boot set to not rescan SATA (can't remember the name of the option exactly).

@CaseySJ hi there, I am facing kernel panic upon wake up from sleep and was wondering if you would have suggestion. I have recently done some minor changes to my configuration because I wanted to add the 6800 XT to slot 2 so that I could use it in Windows and still use the 5600 XT in macOS.

Here are the changes made:
- changed case (Fractal Define 7) which as a power hub but only the PWM header is connected to the sys-fan header on the MB. In previous config I did not have anything plugged in on the sys-fan header on the MB.
- changed the 6 years old NZXT liquid cooler to the Corsair H150i Pro Xt 360mm and 3 fans. Apart from having the pump connected to the power supply and the fans as well (like the old NZXT), it also has a USB-2 header connected to the USB2 connector on the MB via a little USB2 hub (I don't have enough USB-2 since I have the front panel, liquid cooler and wifi/BT combo card). The old NZXT also had a USB-2 connector connected to the MB via the hub. One of the difference that I have noticed is that, if I go to the system report, under USB I can see the USB2 hub and the liquid cooler whereas before I could see the USB2 hub but not the NZXT liquid cooler.
- Slot 2 has now the 6800 XT video card.
- I have now a USB-c cable connected from the front panel to the MB. My previous case did not have any USB-C on the front panel hence nothing was connected to the MB USB-C header.
- the PCIEx1 adapter card which hosts the combo apple wifi/BT card is now plugged in into the last PCIex4 slot since with the 6800 XT in slot 2, I can't use the PCIEx1 slot. (It is obstructed due to the width of the 6800 XT.) I could swap the cards and have the 5600 Xt in the second slot. But by doing so there would be almost not clearance between the 6800 XT and the 5600 XT and the airflow would be compromised. Note that all NVMe slots are used hence the wifi/BT combo card shares the bandwidth with the last NVMe slot.

Apart from that no other changes. The system work well in both macOS and Windows. Each Os uses the right video card. However the sleep function in macOS does not work anymore but used to work prior to those above minor changes.

The system does not enter sleep anymore on its own after the predefined timer value. I remember vaguely someone saying that adding a second video card could break the sleep function but I can't recall where I read it. If I force a sleep manually, it will go to sleep but takes much longer than before the above changes.
Upon pressing the power button, the screen goes black, you can hear the beep typical of a reset and the system restarts. I did a pmset/grep on "panic" and this is what I got:

2021-03-05 17:31:26 +1100 Failure Failure during wake: PEG0(),XHC(XHC),SAT0(AppleAHCI),RP23(AirPort_BrcmNIC),RP02(),RP05(AppleThunderboltHAL XHC3),HDAS(),GLAN(IntelMausi) : Some drivers failed to handle setPowerState panic

Any suggestion?
Thanks in advance.

P.S.: the funny thing as well with these above changes is that previously I tried many times to pair the Apple Magic BT mouse in Windows with no success at all. I could only pair the keyboard. Once I booted into Windows for the first time with this new "config" (not really a big change), the mouse was paired and working with any intervention.

Last edited:
My Fenvi T919 has started loosing Bluetooth at random times. It happened first yesterday afternoon, after the computer had been up for 38 days. I rebooted, and it worked fine, but 10 minutes later, the same happened. Rebooted, and the same. I've attached a USB BT dongle, and that works fine. Wireless is working, but I'm not using it. The Fenvi card has been working flawlessly for 6 months... Any idea of how to troubleshoot? I upgraded to OC 0.6.6 yesterday, but that didn't help the issue. Would you recommend trying the built in Intel?

Last edited:
Anyone else feel this board is slow to get though post?
On my old Z79x-UD7 TH, once things were setup and fast boot enabled, it would go from power-on to Clover in about 2 seconds. With Cover set to 1 second, and the OS on SSD, going from power-on to login felt very fast.

On this board it seems to take over 10 seconds just to get to the OpenCore chooser, even with fast boot set to not rescan SATA (can't remember the name of the option exactly).
I agree to. Mine takes a while to display the Gigabyte logo (about 5s if not more). But then once the logo is displayed and the bottom row where the various options such as F12, etc., are displayed has disappeared. It takes a good 10s to display the OC picker. I don't know if it is the board or OC at this stage.

I agree to. Mine takes a while to display the Gigabyte logo (about 5s if not more). But then once the logo is displayed and the bottom row where the various options such as F12, etc., are displayed has disappeared. It takes a good 10s to display the OC picker. I don't know if it is the board or OC at this stage.

I have same slow booting on Vision G as described above by Emistral.

Also, I've just attempted the upgrade to 0.6.7 and am testing it on the bootable USB. However, Logic Pro X is chucking a bunch of errors on launch about some of my plugins saying:

"x.component can't be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software". This software needs to be updated/ Contact the developer for more information".

It's a bit odd. As if I boot from 0.6.6 off my internal HD, everything works great?! Any ideas guys?

EDIT: Apologies, Casey quite clearly states that you may need to disable SIP which was the fix in my instance. Helps if you read the instructions properly! :clap:

Last edited:
Back