Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

The modified firmware may solve the 96KHz limit issue, but not the kernel panic issue. We need to follow a "process of elimination" to try and isolate the problem that is causing kernel panic. Have you tried to determine the circumstances under which the kernel panic occurs, and the circumstances under which it does not occur?
it occurs totally randomly, the last weekend it worked perfectly and yesterday I had a couple of kernel panics. This firmware it's possible to install via software or it's with flash chip clips? This are my thunderbolt parameters in the BIOS menu:
Thunderbolt USB Support Disabled
Thunderbolt Boot Support Disabled
Wake From Thunderbolt(TM Devices) Off
Thunderbolt(TM) PCIe Cache-line Size 128
GPIO3 Force Pwr On
Wait time in ms after applying Force Pwr 200
Skip PCI OptionRom Enabled
Security Level SL0-No Security
Reserve mem per phy slot 32
Reserve P mem per phy slot 32
Reserve IO per phy slot 20
Delay before SX Exit 300
GPIO Filter Enabled
Enable CLK REQ Disabled
Enable ASPM Disabled
Enable LTR Disabled
Extra Bus Reserved 65
Reserved Memory 386
Memory Alignment 26
Reserved PMemory 960
PMemory Alignment 28
Reserved I/O 0

Attachments

• 63645959459__3497383D-23E4-410B-887A-CBFC85A3F869.JPG
    63645959459__3497383D-23E4-410B-887A-CBFC85A3F869.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 36
Does anyone know what determines the Opencore picker order? I thought it was alphabetical but I reformatted/renamed/recloned my clone to 'Z Clone' and it still shows up first!

This isn't an issue until I do an nvram reset.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
The Vega Frontier Edition has been used successfully, but if you notice high fan speeds it may require a custom Power and Fan Curve injection as detailed here:
Thanks, Casey! Vey much appreciated.

Thanks for your answer.
I’m using some NVMe disks in a NVMe to USB C case that was tested to work at USB 3.2 gen2 speeds in the USB C from the back panel (10gbps).
I guess that there’s something related to this case's front panel chip.
Have you ever test this this USB C front panel header?
I have a 256GB Silicon Power NVMe SSD mounted inside a USB 3.2 Gen 2 enclosure connected to the front panel USB-C port on the Z490 Vision D. Results:
  • 704 MB/s Write Speed = 5.6 Gbps
  • 968 MB/s Read Speed = 7.7 Gbps
Both of these speeds are higher than 5 Gbps, which is the USB 3.1 limit (or USB 3.2 Gen 1). As a recap:
  • USB 3.2 Gen 1 = maximum 5 Gbps
  • USB 3.2 Gen 2 = maximum 10 Gbps
Conclusion:
  • The front panel USB-C port is delivering USB 3.2 Gen 2 speed.
Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 11.31.11 AM.png

Hi @CaseySJ
So,
Here is some screenshots of my Avid HDX Card in the Expansion Chassis been seen on a MacBook Pro
And the other is on my Z77X-UD5H Hackintosh.
This is with the SSDT Injected for HotPlug TB3.
If you look at my MacBook Pro screenshot you can see the Driver for the Avid Card is loaded.
But on the hackintosh it isn't.
It's more like were a Real Mac links the Card in the IOReg that gives the card acces to the driver.
While on the hackintosh it isn't.

Attachments

• Avid HDX on Hackint0sh TB3.png
    Avid HDX on Hackint0sh TB3.png
    121.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Avid HDX on MacBook Pro.png
    Avid HDX on MacBook Pro.png
    342.6 KB · Views: 35
Hi @CaseySJ
So,
Here is some screenshots of my Avid HDX Card in the Expansion Chassis been seen on a MacBook Pro
And the other is on my Z77X-UD5H Hackintosh.
This is with the SSDT Injected for HotPlug TB3.
If you look at my MacBook Pro screenshot you can see the Driver for the Avid Card is loaded.
But on the hackintosh it isn't.
It's more like were a Real Mac links the Card in the IOReg that gives the card acces to the driver.
While on the hackintosh it isn't.
I wish I had a better answer for you, but with Hackintosh there are no guarantees of compatibility. We can enable Thunderbolt Bus, but beyond that we leave it to each device and driver to determine whether it will comply or not comply with the Hackintosh configuration. If a device/driver fails to comply, there isn't much (or anything) we can do other than hope that the company which makes the device/driver modifies their code to work on a flashed Hackintosh.

it occurs totally randomly, the last weekend it worked perfectly and yesterday I had a couple of kernel panics. This firmware it's possible to install via software or it's with flash chip clips? This are my thunderbolt parameters in the BIOS menu:
Thunderbolt USB Support Disabled
Thunderbolt Boot Support Disabled
Wake From Thunderbolt(TM Devices) Off
Thunderbolt(TM) PCIe Cache-line Size 128
GPIO3 Force Pwr On
Wait time in ms after applying Force Pwr 200
Skip PCI OptionRom Enabled
Security Level SL0-No Security
Reserve mem per phy slot 32
Reserve P mem per phy slot 32
Reserve IO per phy slot 20
Delay before SX Exit 300
GPIO Filter Enabled
Enable CLK REQ Disabled
Enable ASPM Disabled
Enable LTR Disabled
Extra Bus Reserved 65
Reserved Memory 386
Memory Alignment 26
Reserved PMemory 960
PMemory Alignment 28
Reserved I/O 0
  • Does the kernel panic occur if you do not use your audio application(s)?
  • If you just use the computer for web browsing, email, word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, etc. then does the system crash?

Hi, everbody:

On the new Gigabyte Z590 Vision D and G they have (VisionLINK TB connector (Intel® Thunderbolt™ 4/USB Type-C® port).

Is that the same as Thunderbolt or what, coz. on the Gigabyte site looks like they claim that it is.

So....anyone can explaine that to me svp....? Or is it just a new output where which needs a new monitor with USB-c input.

VisionLINK TB connector vs thunderbolt...

Z590 Vision G has that output but no TB4.

Schermafbeelding 2021-03-03 om 22.06.27.png

Last edited:
I have a 256GB Silicon Power NVMe SSD mounted inside a USB 3.2 Gen 2 enclosure connected to the front panel USB-C port on the Z490 Vision D. Results:
  • 704 MB/s Write Speed = 5.6 Gbps
  • 968 MB/s Read Speed = 7.7 Gbps
Both of these speeds are higher than 5 Gbps, which is the USB 3.1 limit (or USB 3.2 Gen 1). As a recap:
  • USB 3.2 Gen 1 = maximum 5 Gbps
  • USB 3.2 Gen 2 = maximum 10 Gbps
Conclusion:
  • The front panel USB-C port is delivering USB 3.2 Gen 2 speed.
View attachment 511053
Yeah! Good!
I have a 1TB WD Blue W550 (very suitable!) NVMe SSD mounted inside a USB 3.2 Gen 2 enclosure which connected to back panel ports runs at 970 MB/s - 940 MB/s read and write. Therefore I think that it may be a failure in the case frontal panel because I guess the only chip is the one from the mobo, so the frontal panel have to be just some sort of adapter or extension.
Thanks for your help!

Back