Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hi Casey,

Many thanks for your reply. I do not have any liquid all-in-one coolers, RGB lighting controllers and smart power supplies.

I unplugged the USB cable of the Fenvi T919 card. Only the keyboard and the USB mouse were connected during the test. The computer did go to sleep for 2 seconds and then woke up again, the display kept dark until I restarted the signal settings via the monitor menu. Then I was able to log in again.

I attach the log file of the test. I am a Hackintosh beginner and do not really know how to read and interpret the file. Could you please (or someone else here) have a look at it?

Thanks
We sometimes experience the behavior described below. Please see if you're experiencing it as well.
  • Begin sleep process (Apple Menu --> Sleep)
  • Computer prepares to enter sleep
  • A click is heard as main power is disconnected and idle power / sleep mode is entered
  • A couple of seconds later the system wakes up, but monitor is blank
  • Do not touch the system!
  • Wait 30-60 seconds.
  • Does the computer go back to sleep?
  • And does it then stay asleep?

Hello @zzmadd,

Your SSDT is actually okay.

Thanks for posting IOReg without SSDT activated. It shows that macOS is unable to find USB ports when it searches the system for devices.

View attachment 510401

Some questions:
  • Are you using the original Thunderbolt firmware that came with the GC-Titan Ridge v2?
  • Which version of macOS are you running?
  • Have you bridged the top and middle pins of the vertical 5-pin J1 header?
    • When holding the GC-Titan Ridge v2 vertically with PCI pins facing the floor, the top and middle pins of J1 header should be jumpered together.
Hi there, thanks for your reply.

I guess I found the issue and now USB C over Thunderbolt works.
Everything was stock. NO mods to the Thunderbolt card firmware.
But then I though if it doesn't work in Windows it must be....the Bios.
So instead of the latest release named F6J I installed the previous version called F6c from 18Dec 2019, now pulled in favour of the F6J.
Not it works correctly...

Thanks a lot for your help. Disappointing that Gigabyte doesn't thoroughly checks for things.

We sometimes experience the behavior described below. Please see if you're experiencing it as well.
  • Begin sleep process (Apple Menu --> Sleep)
  • Computer prepares to enter sleep
  • A click is heard as main power is disconnected and idle power / sleep mode is entered
  • A couple of seconds later the system wakes up, but monitor is blank
  • Do not touch the system!
  • Wait 30-60 seconds.
  • Does the computer go back to sleep?
  • And does it then stay asleep?
Hi Casey,

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, it does not go back to sleep, even after 3 minutes of waiting...

Hi there, thanks for your reply.

I guess I found the issue and now USB C over Thunderbolt works.
Everything was stock. NO mods to the Thunderbolt card firmware.
But then I though if it doesn't work in Windows it must be....the Bios.
So instead of the latest release named F6J I installed the previous version called F6c from 18Dec 2019, now pulled in favour of the F6J.
Not it works correctly...

Thanks a lot for your help. Disappointing that Gigabyte doesn't thoroughly checks for things.
This is the same problem we have with BIOS F9j on Z390 Designare. Going back to previous version allows USB-C ports on Thunderbolt controllers to work again.

Hi Casey,

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, it does not go back to sleep, even after 3 minutes of waiting...
To confirm:
  • Even with no USB devices connected to either of the two internal F_USB headers, the system does not enter sleep?
Other questions:
  • Are you expecting to use an AMD GPU eventually?
  • Is there an Nvidia GPU installed in the system right now?
  • Are there any PCIe cards installed in the system (other than WiFi/BT card)?
  • If you physically remove the Fenvi FV-T919, does the system enter sleep and stay asleep?

@CaseySJ Is it recommended to sign out of iCloud & iMessage when swapping out the WiFi/BT card? My card (Youbo) has been giving me some weird issues so I want to try my Fenvi T919 to see if it helps.

Attached are two versions of the modified firmware. Please test them one by one. After flashing each one, check System Information --> Thunderbolt to see whether Thunderbolt Bus is activated. If it is, then we can create a proper SSDT, but we'll need the following two files:
  • MaciASL --> File --> New from ACPI --> System DSDT
  • IORegistryExplorer --> File --> Save As...
I'm sorry for the late reply. I don't have time to test because of work.I will report the results as soon as possible. I thank you, sir.

This is the same problem we have with BIOS F9j on Z390 Designare. Going back to previous version allows USB-C ports on Thunderbolt controllers to work again.
Thanks!
I had missed the notes about the F9J bios.
:wave:

The Vision D gets reviewed by Tweaktown!

The Vision D gets reviewed by Tweaktown!
Tweaktown is posting a review now? When the Z590 Vision D is coming out and the Z490 Vision D is sunsetting? Ah, such impeccable timing?!!? :)

Back