Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hi Casey/all,

I've pulled a bit of a boo-boo with my hack and need some help I'm afraid!

I tried to update to latest Big Sur (11.2.1) from 11.2 using Software Update.

Everything was looking like it was working fine so I left the machine to it (after a few restarts) and went off for a cup of tea (yes I'm British!!).
LOL! That infernal cup of tea! :) (So says the American with a coffee habit!)

I came back and was confused to find a dialogue window in Big Sur asking if I wanted to enable Siri. I clicked no and it returned me to Big Sur Desktop.
The option to enable Siri normally means that an OS update has been applied, but nevertheless let's skip over this for now.

I then noticed that it looked like the update had failed as Software update was still offering 11.2.1 to me.

So, I rebooted and found that I now have 2x 'Macintosh HD' bootable partitions.

This is what happened last time I tried to update to 11.2 from 11.1. The fix then was to press space bar and load up 11.1 recovery and to a disk repair in Disk Utility from the recovery partition.
Instead of going to Recovery, it would be best to install 11.2.1 again, sans the tea break! Each time the system reboots, select the following from OpenCore Picker if it is not already selected:
  • On a reboot there should be only one Macintosh HD. Select this if it's not auto-selected.
  • On subsequent reboots this Macintosh HD option should not exist. Select the name of your internal macOS SSD if it's not already selected.
  • When the update is fully installed, reboot manually to ensure that Macintosh HD is indeed gone for good.

LOL! That infernal cup of tea! :) (So says the American with a coffee habit!)

The option to enable Siri normally means that an OS update has been applied, but nevertheless let's skip over this for now.

Instead of going to Recovery, it would be best to install 11.2.1 again, sans the tea break! Each time the system reboots, select the following from OpenCore Picker if it is not already selected:
  • On a reboot there should be only one Macintosh HD. Select this if it's not auto-selected.
  • On subsequent reboots this Macintosh HD option should not exist. Select the name of your internal macOS SSD if it's not already selected.
  • When the update is fully installed, reboot manually to ensure that Macintosh HD is indeed gone for good.

Thanks for the reply mate!

I'm now getting this on subsequent attempts at updating:

"Download failed. An error occured while downloading the selected updates. Please check your internet connection and try again."

Funnily enough this is pretty much what happened last time when I tried to update to 11.2.

Is there a way of just wiping this new partition its made? As mentioned in my previous post attachment?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 17.01.02.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 17.01.02.png
    6.8 MB · Views: 47
Thanks for the reply mate!

I'm now getting this on subsequent attempts at updating:

"Download failed. An error occured while downloading the selected updates. Please check your internet connection and try again."
Try enabling SIP as follows:
  • Change csr-active-config to 00000000 (see screenshot)
  • Add csr-active-cofig to the Delete section of NVRAM (see screenshot)
  • Reboot
These changes will be included in the next EFI release when OC 0.6.7 is released next month.
Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 9.11.59 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-18 at 9.12.18 AM.png
Funnily enough this is pretty much what happened last time when I tried to update to 11.2.

Is there a way of just wiping this new partition its made? As mentioned in my previous post attachment?
There's no straightforward way of wiping this new partition, unfortunately.

Try enabling SIP as follows:
  • Change csr-active-config to 00000000 (see screenshot)
  • Add csr-active-cofig to the Delete section of NVRAM (see screenshot)
  • Reboot
These changes will be included in the next EFI release when OC 0.6.7 is released next month.
View attachment 509782View attachment 509783

There's no straightforward way of wiping this new partition, unfortunately.
Yo Casey thanks for the above - I'm in more of a pickle now though I'm afraid!

It did make it all the way to the point of removing the other 'Macintosh HD' parition/bootable icon from OC so there is now only one 'Macintosh HD' like normal :)

HoweverBig Sur is unbootable at all and reboots in an endless cycle upon trying to load.

EDIT: I've tried my backup of config.plist but same problem of endless reboot loops...is there a way of booting verbose and checking some code or something?

EDIT 2: Fixed issue by using “cleannvram.efi” from OC boot picker and using my config.plist and successfully updated

Last edited:
I haven't noticed an increase in temperature on my five Hackintoshes running macOS 11.3 public beta with OC 0.6.6. Perhaps the fans in your system are not spinning as fast with the newer VirtualSMC? Perhaps try OC 0.6.6 with VirtualSMC (and its two associated kexts) copied from the OC 0.6.5 folder?
Cool. Not sure what the issue is, so I just built OC and the kexts from source on GitHub and adapted my old config.plist and directory structure (i.e., remove Bootstrap) for the new changes in 0.6.6+. Now I'm idling at a cool 35 degrees. Thanks anyways!

@CaseySJ

i want to ask is it possible to disable the tb ports if don't need them to prevent issues on mb z490 vision d.
and are all m.2 sockets work or only two like gigabyte says on there site the one is preserved for the future cpus
cause in my country the mb D version is sold out and im waiting, or is it better to wait for the Z590 vision d

im doing much research before buying the parts so im doubting or the g or the d
the g is nice but the color I don't like so much but it has the display port out that's the only thing I like about it
but the d has only DisplayPort in and that I don't lik,

and if z490 vision d once configured its done or continue to work on it to get that and this to working.

every tip and advice is welcome I have read much here and looks like everybody have their own issues about the board.

thanks in advance.

Yo Casey thanks for the above - I'm in more of a pickle now though I'm afraid!

EDIT 2: Fixed issue by using “cleannvram.efi” from OC boot picker and using my config.plist and successfully updated
Just to follow-up:
  • Duplicate Macintosh HD is gone?
  • Big Sur 11.2.1 is up and running?

@CaseySJ

i want to ask is it possible to disable the tb ports if don't need them to prevent issues on mb z490 vision d.
On Z490 Vision D we can disable Thunderbolt from BIOS, but there is no reason to do that!

and are all m.2 sockets work or only two like gigabyte says on there site the one is preserved for the future cpus

cause in my country the mb D version is sold out and im waiting, or is it better to wait for the Z590 vision d
All three M.2 slots work on the Z490 Vision D. The top M.2 slot (closest to CPU) can accommodate both PCIe 3.0 and PCIe 4.0 drives. The other two slots can only accommodate PCIe 3.0 drives.

At this time we don't have any experience with Z590 Vision D, so if the Z490 Vision D is sold out in your country, I would suggest:
  • Z490 Vision G (which we support in this thread)
  • Wait until someone confirms whether macOS works on Z590...

im doing much research before buying the parts so im doubting or the g or the d
the g is nice but the color I don't like so much but it has the display port out that's the only thing I like about it
but the d has only DisplayPort in and that I don't lik,
DisplayPort IN on the Vision D is only used for Thunderbolt monitors. If you plan to buy an AMD GPU, you can connect your monitor directly to the AMD GPU.

and if z490 vision d once configured its done or continue to work on it to get that and this to working.
Not sure I understand this one.

Reactions: jd6
Just to follow-up:
  • Duplicate Macintosh HD is gone?
  • Big Sur 11.2.1 is up and running?

Duplicate HD gone now (phew!).

Maybe I messed something up when I edited the config.plist like you said?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 19.40.19.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 19.40.19.png
    6.7 MB · Views: 51
Duplicate HD gone now (phew!).

Maybe I messed something up when I edited the config.plist like you said?
Glad to hear it!

Now back to the Perseverance landing live stream. "Live" from the planet Mars. :)

Update: It has landed!
Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 1.01.12 PM.png

Last edited:
Back