Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

I'm in the process of troubleshooting a networking issue on the 2.5GbE port under Catalina and want to test things under Big Sur. Plan is to install the latest version on an extra SATA SSD.

My question is: to avoid any potential issues, what are the best practices and procedures for dual-booting two versions of macOS?

I had a dual-boot system going last year when Big Sur was in beta, but I'm not sure if I set it up properly. I suppose the main question is if each config.plist should have unique System Serial Numbers, System UUIDs, Motherboard Serials, and ROMs?

BIOS: F7c
OC: 0.6.6

I'm in the process of troubleshooting a networking issue on the 2.5GbE port under Catalina and want to test things under Big Sur. Plan is to install the latest version on an extra SATA SSD.

My question is: to avoid any potential issues, what are the best practices and procedures for dual-booting two versions of macOS?

I had a dual-boot system going last year when Big Sur was in beta, but I'm not sure if I set it up properly. I suppose the main question is if each config.plist should have unique System Serial Numbers, System UUIDs, Motherboard Serials, and ROMs?

BIOS: F7c
OC: 0.6.6

You don't need separate config files. I triple boot Catalina, Big Sur and the next Big Sur Beta (currently 11.3 beta 1) all with the same config.plist. They are all on separate drives, Catalina and Big Sur on NVMes and Big Sur Beta on an SSD.

Only 1 instance of Opencore. When it boots I just select which OS I want to boot. I have Windows on the machine as well and can choose any OS from the picker.

hi guys I want to build a new hack after 4 years again and I need some advice about the parts
so I listed below what I like but I don't know or this is going to work so every advice is much appreciated:
Hello @jd6,

Here are some inputs...

Motherboard :
gigabyte z490m gaming x or Z490 vision D Z490 VISION G.
In this thread we have published the EFI folders for both (a) Z490 Vision D and (b) Z490 Vision G. This can greatly simplify the task of installing and configuring macOS. If you buy the Z490M Gaming, you will need to create your own USB port map and perhaps make a handful of post-install modifications for the specific Ethernet and Audio devices on the board.

Cpu:
i7-11700K or i5-11600K. Or staying with comet lake is better
Good question. Staying with Comer Lake is safer, but not necessarily better. Rocket Lake may work with a Fake CPU ID, but the integrated GPU on Rocket Lake may not work at all (we don't know yet).

Cpu cooling:
NZXT Kraken Z53
This device may interfere with sleep if connected to the internal USB header (not sure). If sleep is indeed affected, we can help you connect the NZXT to a USB port on the rear IO panel and then hide that port from macOS (Windows can still use it). Again, I do not know for certain whether the Kraken Z53 will affect sleep. I would suggest buying the device from a place that has a good return policy.

Memory
Corsair Dominator RGB 4x4 32gb or G.skills Trident Z RGB or……..
Good choice.

Bootdisk:
samsung evo 970 pro 512gb
I would discourage the use of Samsung NVMe SSDs because macOS does not do a good job of managing power consumption on Samsung controllers. The SSD will run hot. Better choices are (a) Sabrent Rocket, (b) ADATA SX 8200/8200 Pro, (c) Silicon Power.

Psu:
Seasonic Focus PX-550 or Seasonic Focus PX-650
Good choice. Either the 550W or 650W PSU is okay. If you plan to use a beefier GPU in the future such as Radeon 6000 series (when/if macOS supports it) then 650W PSU is preferred.

GPU:
sapphire RX 580 pulse 8gb
Good choice.

Hello @jd6,

Here are some inputs...

In this thread we have published the EFI folders for both (a) Z490 Vision D and (b) Z490 Vision G. This can greatly simplify the task of installing and configuring macOS. If you buy the Z490M Gaming, you will need to create your own USB port map and perhaps make a handful of post-install modifications for the specific Ethernet and Audio devices on the board.

Good question. Staying with Comer Lake is safer, but not necessarily better. Rocket Lake may work with a Fake CPU ID, but the integrated GPU on Rocket Lake may not work at all (we don't know yet).

This device may interfere with sleep if connected to the internal USB header (not sure). If sleep is indeed affected, we can help you connect the NZXT to a USB port on the rear IO panel and then hide that port from macOS (Windows can still use it). Again, I do not know for certain whether the Kraken Z53 will affect sleep. I would suggest buying the device from a place that has a good return policy.

Good choice.

I would discourage the use of Samsung NVMe SSDs because macOS does not do a good job of managing power consumption on Samsung controllers. The SSD will run hot. Better choices are (a) Sabrent Rocket, (b) ADATA SX 8200/8200 Pro, (c) Silicon Power.

Good choice. Either the 550W or 650W PSU is okay. If you plan to use a beefier GPU in the future such as Radeon 6000 series (when/if macOS supports it) then 650W PSU is preferred.

Good choice.
thnx for replaying and for your advice much appreciated,
my topic was deleted some how I will put it back

hi guys I want to build a new hack after 4 years again and I need some advice about the parts
so I listed below what I like but I don't know or this is going to work so every advice is much appreciated:

Motherboard :
gigabyte z490m gaming x or Z490 vision D or Z490 VISION G.

Cpu:
i7-11700K or i5-11600K. Or staying with comet lack is better

Cpu cooling:
NZXT Kraken Z53

Memory

Bootdisk:

Psu:

Monitor:
lg ergo 4k ips usb-c monitor 32 inch

Last edited:
thnx for replaying and for your advice much appreciated,
my topic was deleted some how I will put it back
so the samsung pro 970 avoiding is better and next kraken z53 prevents sleeps. you say, on internal header,
so the fenvi wifi card is not a good choice also?

My system runs great but when I first log in to the system the screen turns black for a tiny bit. This happens with Windows and mac os. It only happens at log in and never when using the system. I guess this is normal? I have a republic of gaming 5700 xt and a 5k monitor driven by DVI . Thanks !

Motherboard :
gigabyte z490m gaming x or Z490 vision D or Z490 VISION G.

Cpu:
i7-11700K or i5-11600K. Or staying with comet lack is better

Cpu cooling:
NZXT Kraken Z53

Memory

Bootdisk:

Psu:

Monitor:
lg ergo 4k ips usb-c monitor 32 inch

My choice:

Z490 Vision D
i7-11700K
Corsair memory
650W PSU
AMD GPU if poss. ie RX570 or 5700XT

@CaseySJ Dude! a Million Thanks for your hard work in compiling this Instructional Guide. This is my first time in hackintosh world and I successfully built and run catalina in my unit. I'm still waiting for my Navi GPU to arrive, i will post complete specs of my hardware soon.

Regarding sleep/wake, it's actually working with F1/F2 though my display monitor can't pickup the signal automatically. I need to switch off the monitor first then switch it back on. Is sleep/wake mainly configured for eGPU?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 10.31.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 10.31.39 PM.png
    218.9 KB · Views: 68
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 11.10.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 11.10.37 PM.png
    23.6 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Good thing I checked -- after 3 hours I am still unable to start the Mojave 10.14.6 installer on Z490 Vision D with OpenCore. I've tried a number of experiments, but all have failed. It's possible I'm missing something straightforward, but it's almost like looking for a needle in a haystack of possibilities.

If you need to build a Mojave system quickly, I would recommend a Z390 system at this time.
I managed to both install (from usb) and boot Mojave on Z490 Vision D with i9 10850K.
Use iMac19,1 as SystemProductName and for Emulate area (i9 9900K):
Schermata 2021-02-15 alle 11.19.14.png

Back