Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ I have two different questions about renaming Volumes.

• The first, when I originally installed the OS I was running Catalina recently I upgraded to BigSur. My original boot volumes was called Catalina per the tutorial on pg1. I went ahead and renamed the volume within MacOS to Big Sur. Looks great in the OS but in OpenCanopy it still says Catalina. I tried zapping the PRAM and then looking for .disk_label.contentDetails like one of your other tutorials but the file did not exist. How do I change my volume name so it matches OSX?
Please refer to the following in Troubleshooting / FAQs in Post #1:
Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 2.59.48 PM.png

• The second, I have a linux volume as well thats been called "NO NAME" I followed the above post but the EFI folder for linux does not have BOOT directory under EFI. I created one and stuck the .disk_label.contentDetails within. No luck though. Should I move this file to the root of the volume? Is there another way?
This will only work if the Linux SSD has (a) its own EFI partition and (b) EFI/BOOT folder and any related files/folders. From my Ubuntu screenshot you can see that the Ubuntu disk in my system has the complete Ubuntu boot loader.

If your Linux boot loader files are in some other EFI partition, they will have to be moved to the EFI partition of the Linux disk and removed from the original location.

Feel free to post screenshots of the files in each EFI partition.

Thanks for your suggestions. My settings mirror yours exactly, apart from the ‘boot once’ - I will try that when I get a chance!
Some Thunderbolt devices that used to work in Catalina are having problems in Big Sur. Apple's own Thunderbolt-to-Gigabit Ethernet adapter is one such example. It uses the Broadcom BCM5701 driver which is present in both Catalina and Big Sur, but on a Hackintosh it works only under Catalina.

If the Razer Core X is unable to connect under Big Sur, it might be worth testing it under Catalina. However, flashing the Thunderbolt firmware is the best way to use an eGPU.

Please refer to the following in Troubleshooting / FAQs in Post #1:
View attachment 509203

This will only work if the Linux SSD has (a) its own EFI partition and (b) EFI/BOOT folder and any related files/folders. From my Ubuntu screenshot you can see that the Ubuntu disk in my system has the complete Ubuntu boot loader.

If your Linux boot loader files are in some other EFI partition, they will have to be moved to the EFI partition of the Linux disk and removed from the original location.

Feel free to post screenshots of the files in each EFI partition.

Thanks for pointing me to the tutorial on question #1. FIXED IT PERFECTLY!

For question #2 - My linux partition is on its own NVMe it has its own EFI folder as well that it boots from. There was no "BOOT" folder under the EFI. I created one. I created a .disk_label.contentDetails within it and added my volume name to the file. Screen shots attached of my terminal session.

Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 2.44.12 PM.png

Last edited:
Thanks for pointing me to the tutorial on question #1. I'll give that a go.

For question #2 - My linux partition is on its own NVMe it has its own EFI folder as well that it boots from. There was no "BOOT" folder under the EFI. I created one. I created a .disk_label.contentDetails within it and added my volume name to the file. Screen shots attached of my terminal session.

View attachment 509206
Please post screenshots of every EFI partition with folders expanded so we can see their contents. Only 1 level below the EFI folder is sufficient.

@CaseySJ
After a bit of trial and error I believe I figured out what was going on...

I use a BlessOverride in OCC. I used to put an actual entry for the linux partition with UUID but it was a pain to do with each update so I started using a path to \EFI\kali\grubx64.efi in the Misc|Boot|BlessOverride. I remember once I changed to this technique my custom linux icon didn't work, but I just shrugged my shoulders and moved on...

I took the .disk_label.contentDetails out of the BOOT folder and stuck it in the same folder with the grubx64.efi and all works well now. I now have a pretty label in OpenCanopy :)

Thanks for your eyes on it. I have provided screenshots as well:

BlessOverride in OCC:
Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 5.00.47 PM.png

.disk_label.contentDetails Location:
Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 5.00.07 PM.png

OpenCanopy!
14010308.png

Some Thunderbolt devices that used to work in Catalina are having problems in Big Sur. Apple's own Thunderbolt-to-Gigabit Ethernet adapter is one such example. It uses the Broadcom BCM5701 driver which is present in both Catalina and Big Sur, but on a Hackintosh it works only under Catalina.

If the Razer Core X is unable to connect under Big Sur, it might be worth testing it under Catalina. However, flashing the Thunderbolt firmware is the best way to use an eGPU.
Thanks Casey. I have a bootable backup of my Catalina install from before I upgraded to Big Sur so I will give that a try at some point. Starting to think opening the case and just plugging the power into whichever card I want to use is the simplest solution, as annoying as it is. I'm kind of reluctant to flash the firmware - I don't possess any of the tools needed, I've never done it before so I really don't know/understand the process (from what I gather its quite a risky procedure?) AND it means removing everything from the case to get to the reverse side of the motherboard. All this just to use the RX580 until support for the RX6800 is released.

That's why I was hoping I could just throw the 580 into the Core X and be done with it. I'd really like to get to the bottom of why my computer freezes in Windows when both cards are installed in the system, but I have no idea where to start. MacOS runs happily with both cards installed. But even if I use the iGPU in Windows, when both cards are installed (6800 in slot 1, 580 in slot 2) I get a blue screen in under a minute after logging in.

Yes this one is valid. Does it succeed in hiding the GPU in slot 2?
@CaseySJ I have not tried yet. I was waiting to confirm whether it was valid or not. Will try today.
Thanks

Ha, just yesterday I posted this in the Z390 Designare thread:
View attachment 509186

So let me restructure the post to make it easier to read:
  • Original system: Gigabyte Z370
    • Successfully running High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina, and Big Sur
    • Samsung EVO 970 NVMe
  • New system: Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
    • Started 4 months ago directly with Big Sur and OpenCore
    • Transplanted existing SSDs from Z370 to new Z490
    • Everything was okay
  • Then recently on Z490 Vision D:
    • Installed fresh copy of Catalina on Samsung EVO 970 NVMe SSD
    • Facing kernel panics on Catalina
    • Installed Catalina on another SSD, but still facing kernel panics
Please confirm if the above statements are correct. If so, then:
  • Which version of OpenCore are you using with Catalina?
  • Which third party applications have been installed in the Catalina system?
  • Are you using the OpenCore EFI folder from one of the mini-guides in this thread?
  • And of course the main event: Describe the kernel panics.
    • When do they occur? When running Safari? When running Chrome? When watching a video? When running any particular application?
    • Do they occur when the computer is sitting idle?
    • Do they occur consistently or randomly?
    • Do they occur when Catalina is booting up?
    • Do you have a screen capture of the kernel panic?
- All above statements are correct
- OC 0.66 following your EFI and upgrade process since the beginning
- No other third part apps except Firefox. The purpose on this install is to run Photo apps on V 5.0 for a customer. My BS OS would upgrade his library and this is obviously not suitable.
- The KP happens really at random, initially sometimes even as early as during the the install process.
- When install is fine, the boot is always normal but then KP can happen when Photo is running and going into the "curating best photos" process
- The KP can happen even if I don't interfere with the machine, just looking at the progress of the job
- I don't have screen capture but, looking at the log, it seems that the main issues (at random) are linked to mds and mdworker.

Once again, thanks for your time...

Yes this one is valid. Does it succeed in hiding the GPU in slot 2?
@CaseySJ I tried the following:
- add the SSDT to config.plist and reboot the system. Macos is loaded but not sure how to check if the slot 2 is hidden
- install the 6800 XT in slot 2 and reboot. Macos starts loading then about 50% it crashes and reboots. Upon rebooting, same thing; will start booting then 50% into the booting sequence it will crash.

I did not investigate the crash as I did not have time. I removed the 6800 XT from slot 2 for the time being.

Back