Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

This is our ardent wish, but we won't know until someone Hacks a Z590 board!

If an Intel-based revision is coming to the Mac Pro, it makes sense for it to support Thunderbolt 4 and hence Maple Ridge. It also makes sense for that new Mac Pro to support AMD Radeon 6000. So I think we should follow the Mac Pro rumor mill.

Forgive my ignorance here but what is the benefit to all of this? Would we see better compatibility for audio interfaces via Thunderbolt on hackintosh potentially?

And great news re: Radeon 6 series. Can't wait to upgrade (assuming we ever get any stock of graphics cards that is!)

At the bottom of the Z390 Designare build guide there are two SSDTs, one that disables GPU in Slot 1 and the other disables Slot 2.

Flashing the BIOS is pretty safe and routine. Remember this is the motherboard BIOS (not Thunderbolt BIOS). This is done from within BIOS Setup.
Yep! Flashing BIOS is easy. I was more commenting on the drastic procedure to fix the issue rather than the method. :)

NZXT fans should continue to spin because macOS does not control them. But with HS11 disabled, Bluetooth won’t work if you’re using a Broadcom WiFi/BT card.
Oh! Thanks. Is it an easy fix to do this? I don't use Bluetooth, and its annoying watching the machine try to sleep and then wakeup continually.

I thought to let you guys know I just posted my Z490 Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme High Sierra build up last night. Yes folks, the Z490 can now run on High Sierra (and Mojave) with Opencore!

At the bottom of the Z390 Designare build guide there are two SSDTs, one that disables GPU in Slot 1 and the other disables Slot 2.

Flashing the BIOS is pretty safe and routine. Remember this is the motherboard BIOS (not Thunderbolt BIOS). This is done from within BIOS Setup.
@CaseySJ Thanks for the SSDTs. is there anything I need to do to those SSDTs before using them? I vaguely remember in a previous post related to my 6800 XT to add "if Darwin", something like that. But I can't find your post anymore.

I tried by the way to enclose the SSDT with
If (_OSI ("Darwin"))
{
}
But the SSDT itself even without adding the if statement does not compile in MacIASL. There is an error code 6160 with the following message: One or more prefix Scopes do not exist (_SB.PCI0.PEG1.PEGP._DSM)
I tried to fix it by looking at the IOregistry and understand the structure but I could not unfortunately.
Are those 2 SSDTs supposed to compile? Because the compiler is throwing errors I can't save them in MacIASL.
Of course I can use a normal text editor if those SSDTs are ok as such and and the if statement.
Thanks.

Last edited:
T
Hello @darkenergy2020,

The EFI in this thread is ready to go. Just need to add or copy serial numbers into PlatformInfo as described in the build guide.

Yes.

In the BIOS configuration section of the build guide (Post 1), look for Thunderbolt Boot Support and set it to Boot Once.

It will work out of the box with the EFI folder. Just choose config-AMD-GPU.plist as described in the build guide.

The onboard Intel Bluetooth and WiFi functions are disabled. Simply install your Broadcom WiFi/BT card and it should be good to go. But leave the Intel CNVi module installed because it can be used by both Windows and Linux.

Alas, both Z490 and the upcoming Z590 are still limited to 128GB. While Z590 is the new kid on the block, there are no Hackintosh builds based on that system yet. Among the products available today, Z490 is the best motherboard for the Intel 10900K. Remember that the same Z490 can also accommodate Rocket Lake-S (Intel 11900K). However, Rocket Lake-S is limited to 8 cores/16 threads.
Thank you so much for the elaborate reply. Have just ordered myself a i9-10900K and the Z490 Vision D Do you have any recommendation on CPU cooler? I want something as silent as possible as it’s a music production build

@CaseySJ Thanks for the SSDTs. is there anything I need to do to those SSDTs before using them? I vaguely remember in a previous post related to my 6800 XT to add "if Darwin", something like that. But I can't find your post anymore.

I tried by the way to enclose the SSDT with
If (_OSI ("Darwin"))
{
}
But the SSDT itself even without adding the if statement does not compile in MacIASL. There is an error code 6160 with the following message: One or more prefix Scopes do not exist (_SB.PCI0.PEG1.PEGP._DSM)
I tried to fix it by looking at the IOregistry and understand the structure but I could not unfortunately.
Are those 2 SSDTs supposed to compile? Because the compiler is throwing errors I can't save them in MacIASL.
Of course I can use a normal text editor if those SSDTs are ok as such and and the if statement.
Thanks.
Please post the SSDT that you modified.

I thought to let you guys know I just posted my Z490 Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme High Sierra build up last night. Yes folks, the Z490 can now run on High Sierra (and Mojave) with Opencore!

Good job! Looks as if the magic ingredient was to set CPUID to EA060900 00000000 00000000 00000000? Also, it seems SSDT-DTPG.aml is missing, which means Thunderbolt SSDT will not take effect.

Thank you so much for the elaborate reply. Have just ordered myself a i9-10900K and the Z490 Vision D Do you have any recommendation on CPU cooler? I want something as silent as possible as it’s a music production build
Lately I've been recommending air coolers for their silent operation. I'm using BeQuiet! Shadow Rock 3, but for the i9-10900K it might be better to use a Dark Rock 4. Of course, Noctua air coolers are equally recommended.

There are new liquid all-in-coolers with quiet fans and pumps from BeQuiet! and others that are also worth considering.

Oh! Thanks. Is it an easy fix to do this? I don't use Bluetooth, and its annoying watching the machine try to sleep and then wakeup continually.
Try adding uia_exclude=HS11 to boot-args and reboot. If you notice any unwanted side-effects, just undo the change.

This is one of the nice things about using RehabMan’s USBInjectAll in combination with SSDT-UIAC-... We can enable or disable any defined port with a simple boot argument.

Last edited:
Back