Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ Quick question on sleep/wake; up to 0.6.1 I had to add the GPRW SSDT and the GPRW patch in the ACPI section because my system would not go to sleep. (It would go to sleep then would wake up straight away.)

With GPRW it would go to sleep fine, and I would need to use the power button to wake the system up which was fine by me. With subsequent updates of OC, I have always kept GPRW on. Out of curiosity, after upgrading to 0.6.5, I decided to disable GPRW SSDT and the patch, and see if the system could go to sleep. The system went to sleep and stayed into sleep mode. However, the weird thing is that I could not wake it up via the BT mouse or keyboard. I have ticked the usual "wake this computer with BT devices" in the BT settings in system preferences, but it did not work. I can still wake up the system via the power button but not from any BT devices. It looks like the GPRW is still loaded despite me resetting the system and the nvram, just in case.

Also note that despite having GPRW enabled or disabled, since updating to 11.1, the system does not go into sleep on its on when it reaches the timer. It will go into sleep if I force it myself which is fine. (Note that the system was OK in 11.0.1.)

From a hardware point of view, the only thing that has changed is that I removed the SATA WD magnetic disk that was causing restart/reboot issue with a SATA SSD (no more issue).
Any suggestion on what I am missing?

Thanks to [B]CaseySJ[/B], I redid my Hackintosh Catalina from scratch using the OC for Big Sur 11.1. It worked like a charm. I previously (last July) spec'd the machine based on this thread.

I've been lurking since then, so I apologize for that. I can then answer questions if needed.
I still have some optimizations to make and check some power saving and Sidecar issues but I will deal with them later.

I am curious about your take on the - long awaited - upgrades of 2021 (32" displays with HDMI 2.1 and Thunderbolt 4).
  1. OCW is releasing a new TB4 hub later this year. On the page of the product they explain that the TB4 hub will be compatible with all MAC running BIG SUR 11.1 and all PC equipped with a TB4.
    That leads to the question of Hackintoshes running Big Sur 11.1 on a VISION D. Do you think it will work ?
  2. About the next range of AMD video cards that will support HDMI 2.1. Do you think they will be easy to integrate into our Hackintoshes just by swapping the current for the new HDMI 2.1 compatible ?
  3. For all the UAD Twin TB2 users out there. Do you feel that the latency on hackintosh is a little bigger than it is on a real Mac ?
I am curious about all those topics.
Thanks in advance for replying.

Cheers,

Last edited by a moderator:
@CaseySJ Quick question on sleep/wake; up to 0.6.1 I had to add the GPRW SSDT and the GPRW patch in the ACPI section because my system would not go to sleep. (It would go to sleep then would wake up straight away.)

With GPRW it would go to sleep fine, and I would need to use the power button to wake the system up which was fine by me. With subsequent updates of OC, I have always kept GPRW on. Out of curiosity, after upgrading to 0.6.5, I decided to disable GPRW SSDT and the patch, and see if the system could go to sleep. The system went to sleep and stayed into sleep mode. However, the weird thing is that I could not wake it up via the BT mouse or keyboard. I have ticked the usual "wake this computer with BT devices" in the BT settings in system preferences, but it did not work. I can still wake up the system via the power button but not from any BT devices. It looks like the GPRW is still loaded despite me resetting the system and the nvram, just in case.
That's interesting. If you disabled (a) SSDT-GPRW.aml and (b) the associated ACPI patch, then system should be able to wake from USB and Bluetooth.

Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 3.12.19 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-01-14 at 3.12.22 PM.png
In System Preferences --> Bluetooth --> Advanced, is this item checked on?
Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 3.14.24 PM.png

Thanks to [B]CaseySJ[/B], I redid my Hackintosh Catalina from scratch using the OC for Big Sur 11.1. It worked like a charm. I previously (last July) spec'd the machine based on this thread.

I've been lurking since then, so I apologize for that. I can then answer questions if needed.
I still have some optimizations to make and check some power saving and Sidecar issues but I will deal with them later.

I am curious about your take on the - long awaited - upgrades of 2021 (32" displays with HDMI 2.1 and Thunderbolt 4).
  1. OCW is releasing a new TB4 hub later this year. On the page of the product they explain that the TB4 hub will be compatible with all MAC running BIG SUR 11.1 and all PC equipped with a TB4.
    That leads to the question of Hackintoshes running Big Sur 11.1 on a VISION D. Do you think it will work ?
Hello @Mosk,

Yes I "believe" the new OWC TB4 dock will be compatible with the TB3 ports on this system. Without actually testing and confirming, I cannot say that it "will" be compatible, but I "believe" it will.

1. About the next range of AMD video cards that will support HDMI 2.1. Do you think they will be easy to integrate into our Hackintoshes just by swapping the current for the new HDMI 2.1 compatible ?
I also "believe" Apple and AMD are continuing to work together on GPU driver support, so I expect a future version of Big Sur to support RDNA 2 (Radeon RX 6000 series). Then it will be a simple matter of plug-and-play.
  1. For all the UAD Twin TB2 users out there. Do you feel that the latency on hackintosh is a little bigger than it is on a real Mac ?
I cannot answer this question myself, but hopefully UAD owners will respond. Some UAD owners have flashed their Thunderbolt controller and reported various improvements. Here's one such post:

Hello @Mosk,

Yes I "believe" the new OWC TB4 dock will be compatible with the TB3 ports on this system. Without actually testing and confirming, I cannot say that it "will" be compatible, but I "believe" it will.
Yes, the OWC TB4 dock page states that TB3/4 work together on its dock. Bye, bye FireWire, though. (I still use my FW external disk dives and audio recording peripherals.)

That's interesting. If you disabled (a) SSDT-GPRW.aml and (b) the associated ACPI patch, then system should be able to wake from USB and Bluetooth.

View attachment 505109View attachment 505110
In System Preferences --> Bluetooth --> Advanced, is this item checked on?
View attachment 505111
@CaseySJ Yes the system was configured as above. It looks like regrdless of GPRW being enabled or disabled, it always behaves as if it was enabled. Note that I introduced GPRW in 0.5.9 contrary to what I said in the previous post and since then I have always kept it enabled since I assumed the pb was always there (it was confirmed when I did a quick test in one 0.6.x version). So I am not sure if the fact that it never worked was due to the WD magnetic HD which was there from the beginning (which I have removed now), or if there is something else.

Hello @Mosk,

I cannot answer this question myself, but hopefully UAD owners will respond. Some UAD owners have flashed their Thunderbolt controller and reported various improvements. Here's one such post:

Yes, the OWC TB4 dock page states that TB3/4 work together on its dock. Bye, bye FireWire, though. (I still use my FW external disk dives and audio recording peripherals.)

Thanks to both @CaseySJ and @Stork for your very enlightened two cents on the questions.

I know that I will jump the gun as soon as possible on one of the OCW TB4 hub since I am in dire need of USB-C connectivity and I own a Mac which will use it anyway.

I will update you as soon as possible on the status with the VISION D.

Cheers.

Thanks @CaseySJ for such a comprehensive and foolproof guide. I just built up a Vision D/i9-10850k workstation which I'm super pleased with. I've done a few hack builds before but this one was by far the simplest and everything works perfectly! Your efforts are very much appreciated.

Unfortunately there are a lot less available SATA ports than my last mobo due to M2 drives, and I have loads of drives and SSDs which I'd like to use again.

Can anyone recommend a PCI-e SATA expansion card that works (ideally out of the box) with Catalina?

I tried a Syba SI-PEX40057 but that wasn't even detected in BIOS.

Cheers

Thanks @CaseySJ for such a comprehensive and foolproof guide. I just built up a Vision D/i9-10850k workstation which I'm super pleased with. I've done a few hack builds before but this one was by far the simplest and everything works perfectly! Your efforts are very much appreciated.
Glad to hear it and welcome to the forum! Another inductee into the Society of Problem Free Builders! ;)
Unfortunately there are a lot less available SATA ports than my last mobo due to M2 drives, and I have loads of drives and SSDs which I'd like to use again.

Can anyone recommend a PCI-e SATA expansion card that works (ideally out of the box) with Catalina?

I tried a Syba SI-PEX40057 but that wasn't even detected in BIOS.

Cheers
At the bottom of the Z390 Designare build thread we have a handful of references in the section SATA Port Limitations. Please see:

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 9.51.32 AM.png

Glad to hear it and welcome to the forum! Another inductee into the Society of Problem Free Builders! ;)

At the bottom of the Z390 Designare build thread we have a handful of references in the section SATA Port Limitations. Please see:

View attachment 505188

@CaseySJ thanks so much for the speedy response, didn't think to look in your Z390 thread.

I've ordered the 6 port card from your link, coming tomorrow, so fingers crossed

Cheers

Back