Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hi all,

I thought that I would post some updates regarding 2 issues I have been having for a while and despite several suggestions on this forum nothing worked.

1. Stuck on the Gigabyte logo after restarting from macOS: each time I restarted macOS whether manually or following an update, the system would hang on the Gigabyte logo with the various options at the bottom of the screen (F12, F11, etc.). Nothing was working. Only solution was to power down and restart. Then it would pass the Gigabyte logo and display the OC picker. Looking at the BIOS code on the MB, it was stuck on a SATA/IDE error code. In my system I had a classic standard magnetic HDD that I use for cloning purposes only (before an update). Disconnecting this HDD solved the issue. The system restarts now flawlessly. I am now on the market for a cheap SSD SATA drive for cloning. I don't know if this issue is due to SATA/IDE in general or specific to this HDD and brand (WD).

2. With OC 0.6.1 and prior, I could dual boot Windows/macOS from the OC picker. Since moving to 0.6.2 and above, booting from the Windows NVMe disk simply reset the system. The Windows spinning wheel will be displayed for a couple of seconds and eventually the PC will reset. My initial config was EVO + 1TB for macOS in first slot, then EVO + 250 for Windows in the second slot then and PCIe x4 adapter card hosting a 1TB WD SN750 (because if this was installed in any other slot, the system, would hang at boot). Reading that EVO + can cause some issues even with the new firmware, I bought a 500GB Sabrent rocket, clone the EVO + 250GB Windows disk on the Sabrent, removed the evo + 250GB. Unfortunately I still can't boot Windows 10 for the OC picker. I can boot Windows disk if I press F12 while the Gigabyte logo is displayed. the configuration is EVO + 1TB in slot 1 for macOS, WD 1TB in slot 2, Sabrent in slot.

3. Note that if I put the Sabrent in slot 2 regardless of the WD 1TB being in slot 3 or the PCIe x4 adapter, the system will not boot. I tried various combination except slot 1 which I have left untouched but nothing is working. I even tried to change the config.plist boot mode from bootstrap to none but same issue.

So one issue fixed, but, unfortunately for me, I would have preferred the other one to be fixed.

Dear CaseySJ,
I don’t see the OC 0.6.5 EFI folder with the updated Alpha Intel WiFi drivers.
Could you upload it again please?
Thank you

The OC 0.6.5 EFI is at the bottom of Post 1, at the beginning of this thread.

The latest Intel WiFi drivers can be downloaded HERE.

There is also a different way to install dual boot with Windows on only “1” drive.

I’ve been working on it for a week now and have done all the updates for Windows 10 that are available. No problem whatsoever.

Perhaps someone is interested in how to do this.

Check the YouTube link:

When we initially configured OpenCore for Big Sur public beta several months ago, the system would not boot without spoofing the CPU ID. I haven't checked whether this is necessary now with the release version.

I assume it's working for you (i.e. without spoofing the CPU ID)?
There’s no need for spoofing a CPU ID for Catalina since version 10.15.5 and for Big Sur since public beta 3 / developer beta 6.

Last edited:
@CaseySJ and Community

Just finished my build. Majority is working great. I appreciate your extensive guide and all the time you have put into helping everyone. Truly appreciated. This is my 2nd build but first TB3 MB.

Current issue: TB3 devices randomly don't connect on boot or when macOS loads.
  • If 1x TB3 port has a device attached on boot and loads with macOS and can use the device (UAD Apollo Twin) then the 2nd TB3 port does not work at all. (example if UAD boots on port 1 and I unplug it from Port 1, plug into Port 2, it will not recognize port 2)
  • If TB3 ports 1 and 2 have devices attached on boot and devices are not loaded with macOS, then usually both TB3 ports are hot plug-able, meaning if I uplug the device and plug it back in, it is loaded and recognized.
  • If TB3 ports 1 and 2 have no devices attached on boot and devices are not loaded with macOS, then usually both TB3 ports are hot plug-able, meaning if I uplug the device and plug it back in, it is loaded and recognized.
I need some help getting both TB3 ports to load each device on boot and with macOS. Is this possible?

TB3 Devices:
1x UAD Apollo Twin
1x Caldigit TS3 Plus

I tried to follow all of your guides including creating the HackinDrom to replace the TB3HP. I have tried to search the forums extensively but the search is slightly limited on the results it returns.

Current Z490 Vision D BIOS: 7c
  • BIOS is setup based on 5 and newer guide.

See below pics and let me know if you need any additional info to assist. I appreciate your time and knowledge.
1610199406711.png

1610199464651.png

1610200979915.png

1610200997275.png

1610201011489.png

Last edited:
Dear CaseySJ,
I don’t see the OC 0.6.5 EFI folder with the updated Alpha Intel WiFi drivers.
Could you upload it again please?
Thank you
Thank you for pointing that out. Not sure what happened!! File has been uploaded now:

There’s no need for spoofing a CPU ID for Catalina since version 10.15.5 and for Big Sur since public beta 3 / developer beta 6.
Unfortunately this may not be universally true. Please see the post below in which @Uidi was unable to install Catalina 10.15.7 without spoofing the CPU ID.

Hi all,

I thought that I would post some updates regarding 2 issues I have been having for a while and despite several suggestions on this forum nothing worked.

1. Stuck on the Gigabyte logo after restarting from macOS: each time I restarted macOS whether manually or following an update, the system would hang on the Gigabyte logo with the various options at the bottom of the screen (F12, F11, etc.). Nothing was working. Only solution was to power down and restart. Then it would pass the Gigabyte logo and display the OC picker. Looking at the BIOS code on the MB, it was stuck on a SATA/IDE error code. In my system I had a classic standard magnetic HDD that I use for cloning purposes only (before an update). Disconnecting this HDD solved the issue. The system restarts now flawlessly. I am now on the market for a cheap SSD SATA drive for cloning. I don't know if this issue is due to SATA/IDE in general or specific to this HDD and brand (WD).
We have seen circumstantial evidence of WD drives causing issues. Circumstantial evidence is not scientific, however, so we cannot say with certainty whether those drives are incompatible or problematic. We should also check if SATA Mode is set to AHCI in BIOS Setup.

2. With OC 0.6.1 and prior, I could dual boot Windows/macOS from the OC picker. Since moving to 0.6.2 and above, booting from the Windows NVMe disk simply reset the system. The Windows spinning wheel will be displayed for a couple of seconds and eventually the PC will reset. My initial config was EVO + 1TB for macOS in first slot, then EVO + 250 for Windows in the second slot then and PCIe x4 adapter card hosting a 1TB WD SN750 (because if this was installed in any other slot, the system, would hang at boot). Reading that EVO + can cause some issues even with the new firmware, I bought a 500GB Sabrent rocket, clone the EVO + 250GB Windows disk on the Sabrent, removed the evo + 250GB. Unfortunately I still can't boot Windows 10 for the OC picker. I can boot Windows disk if I press F12 while the Gigabyte logo is displayed. the configuration is EVO + 1TB in slot 1 for macOS, WD 1TB in slot 2, Sabrent in slot.
This is a tricky issue. Do you still have your OC 0.6.1 EFI folder? If so, please give it another try to confirm that Windows is able to boot directly from OC Picker. If it works, please compress and post the OC 0.6.1 folder (you may remove serial numbers from config.plist).

3. Note that if I put the Sabrent in slot 2 regardless of the WD 1TB being in slot 3 or the PCIe x4 adapter, the system will not boot. I tried various combination except slot 1 which I have left untouched but nothing is working. I even tried to change the config.plist boot mode from bootstrap to none but same issue.

So one issue fixed, but, unfortunately for me, I would have preferred the other one to be fixed.
Again, we have circumstantial evidence to suggest that WD drives may be problematic. Do you have a third NVMe SSD that is not a WD brand?

@CaseySJ and Community

Just finished my build. Majority is working great. I appreciate your extensive guide and all the time you have put into helping everyone. Truly appreciated. This is my 2nd build but first TB3 MB.

Current issue: TB3 devices randomly don't connect on boot or when macOS loads.
  • If 1x TB3 port has a device attached on boot and loads with macOS and can use the device (UAD Apollo Twin) then the 2nd TB3 port does not work at all. (example if UAD boots on port 1 and I unplug it from Port 1, plug into Port 2, it will not recognize port 2)
  • If TB3 ports 1 and 2 have devices attached on boot and devices are not loaded with macOS, then usually both TB3 ports are hot plug-able, meaning if I uplug the device and plug it back in, it is loaded and recognized.
  • If TB3 ports 1 and 2 have no devices attached on boot and devices are not loaded with macOS, then usually both TB3 ports are hot plug-able, meaning if I uplug the device and plug it back in, it is loaded and recognized.
I need some help getting both TB3 ports to load each device on boot and with macOS. Is this possible?

TB3 Devices:
1x UAD Apollo Twin
1x Caldigit TS3 Plus

I tried to follow all of your guides including creating the HackinDrom to replace the TB3HP. I have tried to search the forums extensively but the search is slightly limited on the results it returns.

Current Z490 Vision D BIOS: 7c
  • BIOS is setup based on 5 and newer guide.

See below pics and let me know if you need any additional info to assist. I appreciate your time and knowledge.
Hello @smpl543,

Let me begin by asking what needs to be asked first:
  • With the original unflashed firmware, it should be possible to connect both the UAD and CalDigit devices.
    • Did these devices work with the original firmware?
    • If not, what problems did you encounter?
Next question:
  • If you connect only the CalDigit dock, does it always work as expected?
  • If so, what happens if you connect the UAD to the daisychain port on the CalDigit dock?

Back