Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Some questions:
  • How did you download Catalina?
    • Did you use GibMacOS?
  • How did you transfer the Catalina installer to the USB flash disk?
    • Did you use this command line?
    • sudo "/Applications/Install macOS Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia" --volume /Volumes/Catalina-USB
  • Are there any Windows disks in the system?
  • Are there any Linux disks in the system?

I followed the guide strictly, so I did use GibMacOS.
I used the command line.

There was no Windows or Linux disks in the system, up to now.
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-08 at 10.48.04.jpeg

I thought about installing Windows in order to maybe gain some perspective, or at least see all this beautiful hardware rendering something else than the BIOS screen.
I'm installing to the HDD.

Now, maybe something already happened,
Windows wouldn't at first let me install to the HDD as it was not formatted. It displayed its storage capacity as 'Unallocated space'.
So did the SSD I'm willing to install MacOS too. Could this be the culprit?

I followed the guide strictly, so I did use GibMacOS.
I used the command line.

There was no Windows or Linux disks in the system, up to now.
View attachment 504294

I thought about installing Windows in order to maybe gain some perspective, or at least see all this beautiful hardware rendering something else than the BIOS screen.
I'm installing to the HDD.

Now, maybe something already happened,
Windows wouldn't at first let me install to the HDD as it was not formatted. It displayed its storage capacity as 'Unallocated space'.
So did the SSD I'm willing to install MacOS too. Could this be the culprit?
When we install Windows we need to physically disconnect all macOS disks. Please see this spoiler in Troubleshooting / FAQs (Post #1) for how to install Windows on this system:

Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 6.22.16 AM.png

Also try the modified config.plist attached below for macOS. If you have a smartphone, it may be a good idea to take a short video that shows:
  • Gigabyte splash screen
  • BIOS Boot Menu (by pressing F12)
  • OpenCore Picker Menu
  • Then select Install macOS Catalina and record what happens until the screen goes blank (don't stop the video until 10-20 seconds have elapsed)

Attachments

• config.plist
    27 KB · Views: 43
@Uidi

Some additional questions added to my previous reply. Not sure if you saw them:
  • What is the make/model of your monitor?
  • Are you using HDMI-to-HDMI cable? (No adapters such as HDMI to DVI, etc.?)
  • When you see the black screen, does the monitor go into Standby Mode, or does monitor remain on? If it remains on, you'll see some backlight.
  • Do you have an AMD GPU?

oh my god it worked!
I'll keep you updated
You are the one
I'm on the MacOs Utilities screen.

Hello, i‘ve a RX580 in the first PCIe Slot (runs with x16 and should stay as it is), a Fenvi in the short x1 PCIe Slot and three NVMe SSDs (all in the M.2 Slots). Now the NVMe SSD in the lowest Slot only runs with x2. Is there a way to get all SSDs to work with x4?

Hello, i‘ve a RX580 in the first PCIe Slot (runs with x16 and should stay as it is), a Fenvi in the short x1 PCIe Slot and three NVMe SSDs (all in the M.2 Slots). Now the NVMe SSD in the lowest Slot only runs with x2. Is there a way to get all SSDs to work with x4?
Unfortunately the bottom M.2 slot shares bandwidth with the bottom PCIe slot. When both are occupied, each operates at x2. There is no way to change this.

Thank you for your answer. The bottom PCIe Slot is empty in my System.

@CaseySJ Maaan that was a rough week...
I can't believe I'm looking and the Catalina backdrop on my Hackintosh...
It would have been imposssible without your help. I'm so thankful!

Did you figure out what was off?
Did you need to disable anything Wifi/BT to geit it working? I have neither...

Now, I wasn't expecting for it to work and the installation caught me off guard. I didn't read the guide to go through the Install and named the SSD 'SSD' instead of Catalina. Could taht be related to Wifi not working?

Last edited:
@CaseySJ Maaan that was a rough week...
I can't believe I'm looking and the Catalina backdrop on my Hackintosh...
It would have been imposssible without your help. I'm so thankful!

Did you figure out what was off?
Did you need to disable anything Wifi/BT to geit it working? I have neither...

Now, I wasn't expecting for it to work and the installation caught me off guard. I didn't read the guide to go through the Install and named the SSD 'SSD' instead of Catalina. Could taht be related to Wifi not working?

For Big Sur (kernel 20.x.x) we spoof the CPU ID, but this is not generally needed for Catalina. Some systems, however, won't boot without it so I changed the MinKernel to 19.0.0 (Catalina). This means Fake CPU ID will be applied to Catalina and all subsequent versions of macOS.
Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 7.21.54 AM.png

WiFi/BT settings were not changed. Naming your disk "SSD" is also perfectly fine.

Last edited:
Thank you for your answer. The bottom PCIe Slot is empty in my System.
Understood. Looking at the owner's manual I don't see any specific mention of PCIe lane allocation for the 3 NVMe M.2 slots. I would be surprised if all three slots operated at x4 due to limitations in total number of PCH lanes. So I believe what you are seeing is in fact correct.

You may of course submit a ticket to Gigabyte Tech Support asking for clarification.

Back