Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Any love for the Vision G owners? ;)
Ah, but those Intel Wireless drivers are very finicky and should not be relied upon at this time (perhaps the Bluetooth driver is more mature/usable than the WiFi driver).

I’ve been discouraging the use of these drivers for “most” users, but computing enthusiasts/hackers are welcome to test them. Those hackers usually need no help from me!

It’s like Tesla Auto Pilot. Despite stern warnings from the manufacturer that this is a beta system and far far short of “full self-driving”, we see far too many people just looking at the words “auto pilot” and throwing all caution to the wind. Fatalities have occurred as a result.

We should not forget, therefore, that the OpenIntelWireless drivers are not ready for prime time. They are fine for hackers.

Therefore the OpenCore 0.5.9 ZIP attached below contains a customized SSDT-EC.aml for the Vision D. It may work on other Gigabyte Z490 boards as well. Use of this SSDT is recommended.
Hi and thanks so much for the guide!!!

I was wondering if your customized SSDT-EC works as well for the Vision G...? I'm actually using SSDT-EC-USBX and SSDT-UIAC created with Hackintool, do you think I'm good or would it be better to use your SSDT-EC?

Another thing i was wondering is if it is better to use SSDT's and USBInjectall VS just USBPorts Kext created with Hackintool...!

Thanks

Ah, but those Intel Wireless drivers are very finicky and should not be relied upon at this time (perhaps the Bluetooth driver is more mature/usable than the WiFi driver).

I’ve been discouraging the use of these drivers for “most” users, but computing enthusiasts/hackers are welcome to test them. Those hackers usually need no help from me!

It’s like Tesla Auto Pilot. Despite stern warnings from the manufacturer that this is a beta system and far far short of “full self-driving”, we see far too many people just looking at the words “auto pilot” and throwing all caution to the wind. Fatalities have occurred as a result.

We should not forget, therefore, that the OpenIntelWireless drivers are not ready for prime time. They are fine for hackers.

The Bluetooth drivers are OK for my Wacom Tablet. It is usually wired but if I am sitting back relaxing with the tablet on my lap, then the cable isn't long enough, the Bluetooth adapter works fine.

I also have the wifi drivers installed, but the only reason is so that unlocking with my Apple Watch works with them and the BT. Everything else is by wired LAN.

Hi and thanks so much for the guide!!!

I was wondering if your customized SSDT-EC works as well for the Vision G...? I'm actually using SSDT-EC-USBX and SSDT-UIAC created with Hackintool, do you think I'm good or would it be better to use your SSDT-EC?
The two SSDTs created by Hackintool should work just fine. If you'd like me to take a look, simply post the files.
Another thing i was wondering is if it is better to use SSDT's and USBInjectall VS just USBPorts Kext created with Hackintool...!
Both options are fine and ultimately it's a matter of preference. The benefit of USBInjectAll is the ability use boot-args to selectively enable and disable USB ports as and when needed. With the USBPorts method we would need to perform minor surgery on the kext.

Thinking outside the box - TB musings

So, @CaseySJ - do you know if anyone has both a flashed TB chip/card and unflashed chip/card in the same computer?

I have my Z490 TB chip unflashed because for me, USB C connections, TB connections via USB C (including a Thunderbolt 1 disk) all work fine.

But for those who need a flashed TB device, is it possible to have both in the same computer? Because it would seem like those who need the functions of both, like USB C connectiivity and also the extended TB tree might be able to get both this way? Connect to the flashed TB when you need it (like for specialized audio devices) and use the unflashed TB device for USB C/TB disk connectivity?

Has anyone ever tried this? (btw, I wouldn't do this because I just don't have any need for the extended functionality that a flashed TB chip/card provides - and I don't have any device to test such a setup with, but I just wonder if anyone has ever tried this).

The two SSDTs created by Hackintool should work just fine. If you'd like me to take a look, simply post the files.
Well, thanks a lot! Here are the files. I'll also attach the kext by Hackintool

About the kext, if i try that method, should I leave the SSDT-EC or, as I read in some guides, that would not be needed anymore?

Attachments

• SSDT-EC-USBX.aml
    210 bytes · Views: 47
  • SSDT-UIAC.aml
    916 bytes · Views: 50
  • USBPorts.kext.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 46
Thinking outside the box - TB musings

So, @CaseySJ - do you know if anyone has both a flashed TB chip/card and unflashed chip/card in the same computer?

I have my Z490 TB chip unflashed because for me, USB C connections, TB connections via USB C (including a Thunderbolt 1 disk) all work fine.

But for those who need a flashed TB device, is it possible to have both in the same computer? Because it would seem like those who need the functions of both, like USB C connectiivity and also the extended TB tree might be able to get both this way? Connect to the flashed TB when you need it (like for specialized audio devices) and use the unflashed TB device for USB C/TB disk connectivity?

Has anyone ever tried this? (btw, I wouldn't do this because I just don't have any need for the extended functionality that a flashed TB chip/card provides - and I don't have any device to test such a setup with, but I just wonder if anyone has ever tried this).
This approach is perfectly viable and for the cases you mentioned it is the preferred approach. Flashed and unflashed controllers can coexist, and controllers should only be flashed if necessary.

Last edited:
Hey @CaseySJ ! This is my first time in Hackintosh Land as a builder. I've been a user for years but this is my first time dealing with this end of things.

I'm getting stuck at step 8. Some of the things @counterfactual went through helped me get to where I am now (I was able to get verbose) but I can't get to the Installer anyway.

My build:
Vision D (F5 Firmware)
i7 10700
integrated GPU
Hyper X Fury 3200MHz 2x16GB (currently working with 1x16) (HX432C16FB3/16)
WD Green M.2 240GB SATA SSD on the topmost slot
Corsair v500 PSU
Kingston DataTraveler 100 G3 32GB FlashDrive
Apple Keyboard connected to Blue USB port

The first thing that didn't really worked according to the guide is setting XMP to Profile 1. The system rebooted a couple of times and came up with an error and re-setting memories to 2400, which is the speed that sees by default when two sticks are installed.
I tried with Profile 2 and that set the memories to 3000Mhz and worked, but decided to work with just one stick, as is what I've been recommended to do.

This is where I'm getting stuck at:
When I click on Install OS Catalina on the BootPicker screen verbose shows this two lines:

OC: Prelinked patcher result 0 for com.apple.driver.AppleHIDKeyboard (Enable dim keys by Wern) - not found
OC: Prelinked patcher result 1 for com.apple.driver.AppleHIDKeyboard (Enable dim keys by Wern) - not found

Now, I'm really underqualified for this job so all I dared do was go to OCC and uncheck both 'Enabled' boxes on the dim keys Kernel Patches to see if that helped. The result was no verbose at all.

Am I missing something? Is there something wrong with my setup? Should I pay somebody to do this for me?
Thanks in advance.

Hey @CaseySJ! Happy New Year!
Unfortunately not so happy for me Hackintosh-wise: I'm still struggling; still stuck at the exact same spot.
I still haven't been able to get my hands on an ADATA SX8200 Pro, but I've been able to return the M.2 WD Green and got an M.2 Kingston A2000. I also added a WD Black 2TB HDD but I still can't see it in BIOS so I should check connections.

I think I'll be able to get the SX8200 but now I tried to install on yet another SSD, I am really wondering if it really was the WD Green that was holding me back.
I keep getting the same two lines out of verbose.
Before the Bootpicker screen appears I now see another message:
OCS: No schema for DeduplicateBootOrder at 0 index, context <Quirks> |
I think that appeared when I started trying with OC-065.

Does anything come to mind?
I already started the process (from step 1 and up) maybe three or four times...
Could I be missing something?
Is there another simpler method that could allow me to Install OS even if many of the Vision D characteristic features don't work?

Thanks in advance!

@Uidi Deduplicate was removed in OC 0.6.5. To get rid of the message you need to remove the entry in your config.plist.
Thanks @Ploddles! I'll check it out.
Now, when I open OCC an error appears:

The bootloader looks like it is not installed or your NVRAM isn't native.

Is that bad? I don't really know what that means...

Back