Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Several folks have inquired about this in recent weeks. Unfortunately we're not aware of a solution. But Disk Utility in macOS can create a perfectly viable software RAID.
Yes I know about the macOS raid. But then I can’t use it for dualboot (Windows) and not for CloneZilla. :(

Never mind. For now I’m stuck on the speed of 1 PCIe NVME drive. ;)

Something to counter the 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' BIOS update argument: BIOS updates -do- often contain unmentioned bug fixes. An example of this is the newly released F8c bios for the Vision-G; it contains bug fixes to the boot selector menu that I reported to Gigabyte, but goes unmentioned in the release notes. That bug was minor and largely cosmetic, but there could be unmentioned fixes for more serious things as well. (And bugs introduced of course). Food for thought.

I'm running this config with a 10850K and its running smoothly (except when I only use iGPU, it will not wake the screen after sleep without diconnecting and connecting the hdmi and also no audio through iGPU HDMI)

BUT.. I cannot get Thunderbolt 3 to work properly. I have a blackmagic ultrastudio recorder 3G that does not get recognized. Also If I connect a Samsung t7 hard drive or any other USB 3 device through the onboard Thunderbolt connector nothing happens...

OC 0.6.5 has been released. Still waiting for Lilu.kext and VirtualSMC.kext to drop as well and then I'll test it. Two new entries to be added, and one removed, from your config.plist.

Something to counter the 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' BIOS update argument: BIOS updates -do- often contain unmentioned bug fixes. An example of this is the newly released F8c bios for the Vision-G; it contains bug fixes to the boot selector menu that I reported to Gigabyte, but goes unmentioned in the release notes. That bug was minor and largely cosmetic, but there could be unmentioned fixes for more serious things as well. (And bugs introduced of course). Food for thought.
Before the Vision D f5 BIOS, I had reported to Gigabyte the lack of an option to toggle CFG-Lock (which I stated competitors like MSI, Asus, and I believe ASRock enable the user to do).

They then updated the bios to add this option. They have a decent customer service with a good feedback loop.

I was also trying to get them to allow the power led on the case to blink when the system is in standby/sleep, like my old msi z170 board does. But they told me they can’t do so via a bios update, the vision d lacks the hardware to do so. Oh well, I’ll trade thunderbolt for a blinking power led any day.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I'm having wakeup issues with my BCM94360CS2 card. I bought the M.2 version instead of PCIe 1x version, because I wanted to vertically mount the GPU and it'd be in way. I managed to make it work by changing the PCI slot address in config, but only thing that isn't working is sleep. Whenever, it tried to go to sleep, it instantly wakes up back again. I can hear the relay switch sound of the Power Supply (Corsair ones have that annoying sound) when it tries to go to sleep, but after a moment it wake up again and display signal also comes back.

Now, I figured out that only the bluetooth is the problem. If I remove the bluetooth cable of M.2 card from the internal USB header 1, the sleep starts to work again.

Is there anything else I need to change that is related to PCIe slot number? Or which header I need to put the USB? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

I'm running this config with a 10850K and its running smoothly (except when I only use iGPU, it will not wake the screen after sleep without diconnecting and connecting the hdmi and also no audio through iGPU HDMI)
Because you're using an AMD RX 580, platform ID 0x3E980003 is strongly recommended, which disables video output from the iGPU but keeps the iGPU enabled for "compute" tasks such as video encoding and decoding.

If you're trying to use the Blackmagic UltraStudio for video capture, I can understand why you've changed Platform ID to 0x3E9B0007.

BUT.. I cannot get Thunderbolt 3 to work properly. I have a blackmagic ultrastudio recorder 3G that does not get recognized. Also If I connect a Samsung t7 hard drive or any other USB 3 device through the onboard Thunderbolt connector nothing happens...
  • Has the UltraStudio Recorder worked in the past with this or any other Hackintosh? Or is this a newly purchased item?
  • Are you running Catalina or Mojave or ?
  • Does the UltraStudio require drivers? If so, are the latest drivers installed?
  • Regarding the Samsung T7, please try connecting it before boot rather than hot-plugging. We've found that USB-C devices fail to hot-plug on the two Thunderbolt/USB-C ports.
    • If your case has a front panel USB-C port, please try connecting the T7 there.

Hey guys,

I'm having wakeup issues with my BCM94360CS2 card. I bought the M.2 version instead of PCIe 1x version, because I wanted to vertically mount the GPU and it'd be in way. I managed to make it work by changing the PCI slot address in config, but only thing that isn't working is sleep. Whenever, it tried to go to sleep, it instantly wakes up back again. I can hear the relay switch sound of the Power Supply (Corsair ones have that annoying sound) when it tries to go to sleep, but after a moment it wake up again and display signal also comes back.

Now, I figured out that only the bluetooth is the problem. If I remove the bluetooth cable of M.2 card from the internal USB header 1, the sleep starts to work again.

Is there anything else I need to change that is related to PCIe slot number? Or which header I need to put the USB? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Interesting and puzzling at the same time! Inquiring minds want to know...
  • What is the make/model of the BCM94360CS2 that you purchased? Do you have an Amazon link or a manufacturer's link?
  • Which M.2 slot did you install it in?
  • How the heck does it have a Bluetooth cable if it's an M.2 device? :)

Back