View attachment 502437
Thanks! I did this in OC Configurator & now this is what log reports:
20201225_132039.jpg

BTW: Hardware config -
i9 - 10850K
Z490 Vision D
32GB (8x4) G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3600
Samsung 970 EVO m.2 SSD - 512GB
Sapphire Radeon NITRO+ RX580 8GB Special Edition with 2 Samsung 4K monitors attached via HDMI

Using SanDisk 32GB USB3 flash drive, created on my 2019 MBP 16" running 10.15.7

Is CFG-Lock disabled in Boot section of BIOS Setup?
No... currently set to Enabled. Let me disable & try again...

UPDATE: that seems to have done the trick. How did I miss that? This getting old stuff is wearing me out... :). THANK YOU!!!

I see now how I mis-interpreted your instructions (I think step 7) re: CFG-Lock. For F6, it's now a menu option, but I *still* must disable it...it's not unlocked by default. Learn something new every day!

I'm at macOS Utilities & about to format my SSD. Thanks for the lovely Xmas gift! :)

Last edited:
EDIT: On the same topic there is an 'untitled' drive on my desktop I'd love to lose too?

Hello @hughythomas

Unfortunately there's no simple way to do this yet. OpenCore continues to evolve so perhaps the developers will address this need in the future.

The "Untitled" icon is for Windows. If you boot into Windows, you can actually give the drive a name. That name will then replace the word "Untitled" in macOS. Alternatively, if you have an NTFS driver for macOS, you can rename that disk directly from Finder.

To automatically hide that icon on boot, perhaps an Automator task can be created that runs a shell script to unmount that drive, but this is both tricky and risky because drive identifiers can change from boot to boot. A drive identifier is something like this: disk2s1 or disk2s2 or disk3s4, etc. A clever shell script could search for NTFS volumes and dynamically detect and unmount them.

But I think the best option is to give the disk icon a name such as "Windows".

Please see if the attached Automator script works for you, as follows:
  • Download it to the Desktop and double-click to see if it ejects the Untitled disk.
  • If so, it can be added to System Preferences --> Users & Groups --> Login Items so that it runs on login to auto-eject the Untitled disk.

macOS can automatically unmount Windows disks on boot. Find the volume UUID of the main Windows partition by running
Code:
diskutil info <disk1s4/whatever the windows disk is>
. Then add that Volume UUID to /etc/fstab.

In a new shell, run sudo vifs and write a line
Code:
UUID=<whatever you extracted before> none ntfs rw,noauto

Repeat for every volume you don't want, replacing ntfs for the correct filesystem type.

Now Windows will no longer show up in macOS. You will always have to mount it manually to access it.

Also, you can use Volume/Partition UUID instead of disk1s2/disk1 if you want to refer to a unique volume every single time. So far I have not run into any command which won't take the UUID though they do differ in whether they need the Volume UUID or the Partition UUID[1] depending on the task you are trying to do.

[1] I'm not aware of the differences b/w the two

Is CFG-Lock disabled in Boot section of BIOS Setup?
...and DONE! Up & running. AMAZING work @CaseySJ!! I haven't gone through the rest of your initial post yet, but I plan on doing that in a few moments to test/verify that everything is working (starting with hot-plugging my TB3 dock).

Only thing I've done thus far is installed Chrome and Geekbench 5. Here are the GB5 results for my build (both in Windows & in macOS):
BoomR Vision D GB-CPU.png

...and:
BoomR Vision D GB-Compute.png

(just in case you're keeping track of performance stats from your friendly followers) :headbang:
--B

...and DONE! Up & running. AMAZING work @CaseySJ!! I haven't gone through the rest of your initial post yet, but I plan on doing that in a few moments to test/verify that everything is working (starting with hot-plugging my TB3 dock).

Only thing I've done thus far is installed Chrome and Geekbench 5. Here are the GB5 results for my build (both in Windows & in macOS):

...and:

(just in case you're keeping track of performance stats from your friendly followers) :headbang:
--B
Congratulations!

Those are very respectable benchmarks. In terms of price-to-performance there's simply no contest between this system and the overpriced Mac Pro.

Hi, all! I have just made Apple TV work on Big Sur 11.1.
My machine is Z490 Vision D with i7 -10700 and GPU AMD RX 5700 XT.
My machine is set to iMac 20,2.
I have OpenCore 064.
I updated from Catalina, and my Apple TV didn't work. So I did some research,
and I did this.

I opened the command line, and I paste line by line, and pushed enter
these are the commands:

defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDKE -bool YES
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDAVCEncode -bool YES
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDAVCDecode -bool YES
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDHEVCDecode -bool YES

After that Apple TV works.

I hope I help, but, before you do it, let some experienced users to answer my post. I don’t want to mess up your machine.

Hello CaseySJ,
I have installed a 10G network card SFN5122F on Big Sur, which cause sleep/wake issue.
After sleep, it can not wake again.
Can you give me a help? Thank you very much.

Hello @nmano and Happy Holidays!

This is the same problem I experienced on my ASRock X570 Creator, and it is why I sold it. I was never able to find a solution to this perplexing issue. As soon as I made any change to UPSB device properties, I would lose the Thunderbolt tree. I thought this problem was exclusive to ASRock's terrible ACPI implementation, so it's truly surprising (in a horrific way) to see that it afflicts a Gigabyte motherboard as well.

Although I have no solution to offer, at least you're not alone in facing this problem.
wow, horror story of a high-end X570 board.
Paul Chato recounts his fight w/ X570 Creator on youtube.

Last edited:
Paul Chato recounts his fight w/ Creator on youtube.
I couldn't find his YouTube segment. Please provide the link as I have an Asus ProArt Z490 Creator. TIA.

Back