Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Thanks for your answer. But can anyone point me in the right direction? I’m trying to make a hardware raid with this mainboard. Because I also want to create a partition on it for Windows to be used for data etc

I have 2 NVME PCIe drives. 1 in the upper slot and 1 in the bottem slot.

In the bios and in Windows the drives are recognized. But I can’t see them in Ez Raid. I only see my SATA drives.

Anyone?

Have you checked your BIOS settings... Page 64 of the board manual...

(if you want to use NVMe PCIe SSDs to configure RAID, make sure to set NVMe RAID mode to Enabled)

@CaseySJ I have an Asus ThunderboltEX 3 that I could try, can that be run in a Vision D since it doesn't have a TB header?

Well, Let me starting saying: @CaseySJ you rock man!
I followed by the letter your tutorial and I got this Hackintosh working in exact 22 minutes. I couldn't believe.
Very happy and humbled for your hard work towards the community. A BIG THANK YOU!

Because my knowledge about the OpenCore and all the new changes are limited, I have couple questions if you can help me out.

-Fixing DRM
I found this link researching Tonymac, but I couldn't find any solution for Big Sur, etc. If you guys can point me on the right direction, I'd appreciate it. I can't watch videos from Apple TV app, I can't play any videos from Netflix, Amazon prime on Safari. (I would like to know if that is possible). I'm using the config.plist from your guide, and it has shikigva=80 with SMBIOS iMac19,1.

- Sleep/Wake
I have an Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse. The sleep doesn't work with the 30 minutes (actually doesn't sleep at all) no success from the Apple menu Sleep. (It goes but it wakes up instantly.) I didn't do any changes in the config.plist. I just would like pointers how to fix it.

-OpenCore
I had to update from 0.6.3 to 0.6.4, and, in the tutorial using hackindron, it went OK, but with the OpenCore being so different from Clover, how do you update the kexts? Is there any software? Another quick question, Is there any easier way to update OpenCore? (OpenCore Configurator?)

-SSD
It was a such hustle to install the SSD on this motherboard. I got 3 SSDs, but I could only install 2. (Every time I put on the M2A, The board won't boot. I had to put on the M2P SLOT and then add on the slot M2M after rebooting.
So weird. The reason to mention this is as suggestion, would be good to have something on the tutorial about it. By the way the tutorial is very well done.

[is Radeon Speed Boost.kext recommended for BigSur?]

-Bluetooth Fenvi T919
I was never truly happy with this card. I can't figure out what is my problem once for all. I have a nerve wracking lag when I doing the most simple tasks as browsing, or moving files and etc. This is pain 10 for me.
I'm willing to do anything even buy a Fenvi 1200 to fix it. I just need guidance/recommendation how to fix once for all.

Thank you!

My Hardware:
I9 10900K
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Bios F7C)
64GB Corsair
AMD Radeon VII (2 monitors Samsung 32) DP
SSD Silicon Power and Western Digital

Last edited:
Hi @CaseySJ
My system is Gigabyte X299 WU8 with Gigabyte Thunderbolt Titan Ridge.
Can I know why my system don’t like this part from SSDT?

IF I Add this part via SSDT my System not implemented.
"PCI-Thunderbolt",
One
Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 5.05.59 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 5.27.26 AM.png

If I remove PCI-Thunderbolt=One via SSDT My System has implemented.

Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 5.29.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 4.57.05 AM.png

Please look My ORI DSDT
Full Detail.
Thank you Your work Happy Christmas to All.

Attachments

• DSDT.aml.zip
    24.1 KB · Views: 50
  • Archive.zip
    10.3 MB · Views: 41
** Please see newly added warnings at the top of Post 1 **

Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 6.14.30 AM.png

Well, Let me starting saying: @CaseySJ you rock man!
I followed by the letter your tutorial and I got this Hackintosh working in exact 22 minutes. I couldn't believe.
Very happy and humbled for your hard work towards the community. A BIG THANK YOU!

Because my knowledge about the OpenCore and all the new changes are limited, I have couple questions if you can help me out.

-Fixing DRM
I found this link researching Tonymac, but I couldn't find any solution for Big Sur, etc. If you guys can point me on the right direction, I'd appreciate it. I can't watch videos from Apple TV app, I can't play any videos from Netflix, Amazon prime on Safari. (I would like to know if that is possible). I'm using the config.plist from your guide, and it has shikigva=80 with SMBIOS iMac19,1.
Hello @fabrik

Good to hear from you again! At this time DRM is broken in the TV app and in Safari if we use iMac19,1. If we switch to iMacPro1,1 then it will work. However, Netflix and Amazon Prime work in Firefox even with iMac19,1 so that is the preferred option. As for TV app, let's wait for a future update to Lilu/WhateverGreen.

- Sleep/Wake
I have an Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse. The sleep doesn't work with the 30 minutes (actually doesn't sleep at all) no success from the Apple menu Sleep. (It goes but it wakes up instantly.) I didn't do any changes in the config.plist. I just would like pointers how to fix it.
This a very common problem. Please see Troubleshooting / FAQ section in Post 1, specifically:

Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 6.25.12 AM.png

We can also disable wake-from-USB completely (hence, press Power Button to wake from sleep) by following this guide.

-OpenCore
I had to update from 0.6.3 to 0.6.4, and, in the tutorial using hackindron, it went OK, but with the OpenCore being so different from Clover, how do you update the kexts? Is there any software? Another quick question, Is there any easier way to update OpenCore? (OpenCore Configurator?)
I have never trusted software that automatically updates kexts so I always download the necessary or relevant updates from the developers' websites. Fortunately I post an EFI update each month when OpenCore is updated. These monthly updates contain latest necessary/relevant kexts.

-SSD
It was a such hustle to install the SSD on this motherboard. I got 3 SSDs, but I could only install 2. (Every time I put on the M2A, The board won't boot. I had to put on the M2P SLOT and then add on the slot M2M after rebooting.
So weird. The reason to mention this is as suggestion, would be good to have something on the tutorial about it. By the way the tutorial is very well done.
This might depend on the make/model of the NVMe SSD. I have not faced this issue.

[is Radeon Speed Boost.kext recommended for BigSur?]
Some users have experienced good results, but probably only with Radeon VII GPUs and iMacPro1,1. In my personal opinion, RadeonBoost should not be used. It can cause lockups during macOS updates and although benchmarks show marked improvements, most real-world tasks do not.

-Bluetooth Fenvi T919
I was never truly happy with this card. I can't figure out what is my problem once for all. I have a nerve wracking lag when I doing the most simple tasks as browsing, or moving files and etc. This is pain 10 for me.
I'm willing to do anything even buy a Fenvi 1200 to fix it. I just need guidance/recommendation how to fix once for all.
I have 5 of these cards in 5 different Hackintoshes, all working flawlessly (including sleep and wake). Alternative card is the one shown at the top of Post 1:

Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 6.34.04 AM.png

Hi @CaseySJ
My system is Gigabyte X299 WU8 with Gigabyte Thunderbolt Titan Ridge.
Can I know why my system don’t like this part from SSDT?

IF I Add this part via SSDT my System not implemented.
"PCI-Thunderbolt",
One

If I remove PCI-Thunderbolt=One via SSDT My System has implemented.

Please look My ORI DSDT
Full Detail.
Thank you Your work Happy Christmas to All.
Hello @nmano and Happy Holidays!

This is the same problem I experienced on my ASRock X570 Creator, and it is why I sold it. I was never able to find a solution to this perplexing issue. As soon as I made any change to UPSB device properties, I would lose the Thunderbolt tree. I thought this problem was exclusive to ASRock's terrible ACPI implementation, so it's truly surprising (in a horrific way) to see that it afflicts a Gigabyte motherboard as well.

Although I have no solution to offer, at least you're not alone in facing this problem.

EDIT: On the same topic there is an 'untitled' drive on my desktop I'd love to lose too?
Please see if the attached Automator script works for you, as follows:
  • Download it to the Desktop and double-click to see if it ejects the Untitled disk.
  • If so, it can be added to System Preferences --> Users & Groups --> Login Items so that it runs on login to auto-eject the Untitled disk.

Attachments

• Eject Untitled.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 57
@BoomR,

This is a nice way to spend some of the free time during the holiday season! As you must know, it’s more satisfying to build a system than to buy one off the shelf. Good luck and we’ll look forward to your report!
OK - possible stupid/newbie questions:
1) is there some sort of "verbose" mode (-v) that I can activate & monitor the install process?
2) is there supposed to be a progress indicator? I've been staring at a black screen & white apple logo for like 5 minutes & not sure what exactly I should be seeing...

is there some sort of "verbose" mode (-v) that I can activate & monitor the install process?

Yes, add -v to your boot arguments :

Screenshot 2020-12-25 at 18.58.59.png

Back