Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Opencore 0.6.4 and associated kexts (Lilu, Whatevergreen etc) has been released.

Looking forward to @casey78's updated guide.
Just completed the OC 0.6.4 EFI for AMD B550 Vision D and found that OpenCore Configurator is not yet compatible (it will introduce an error in the file). But we can use HackinDROM to transfer serial numbers into new OC 0.6.4 config.plist. Will provide mini-guide soon.

Looking forward to @casey78's updated guide.
I wouldn't expect anything from Casey78 LOL

Screen Shot 3.jpg

** OpenCore 0.6.4 EFI for Z490 Vision D **
Supports both Catalina and Big Sur
Please do not quote this post in its entirely. Use a link instead.

Requires OpenCore Configurator 2.18.1.0 or Newer
(unreleased as of now so use HackinDROM as explained in this guide)

NOTE: If you are using OpenIntelWireless to drive the on-board Intel AX201 WiFi/BT module, please jump to this post instead (updated for OpenCore 0.6.4).​

The formal release of OpenCore 0.6.4 has arrived, along with an update of VirtualSMC, Lilu, WhateverGreen, and AppleALC.

This EFI contains the following changes:

Bootloader / Kexts:
All of the items listed below are official builds.
  • OpenCore 0.6.4
  • VirtualSMC 1.1.9
  • Lilu 1.5.0
  • WhateverGreen 1.4.5
  • AppleALC 1.5.5
config.plist Changes:
  • UEFI --> Audio --> PlayChime --> Auto (this allows System Preferences --> Sound to control the boot chime)Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 10.15.49 AM.png
  • Misc --> Security --> SecureBootModel --> Disabled (change to Default for OpenIntelWireless)
How to Use:
  1. Find a USB flash disk with an EFI partition, or format the USB flash disk in Disk Utility with Scheme = GUID Partition Map and Format = MacOS Extended (Journaled).
  2. Mount EFI partition of the USB flash disk.
  3. Download the attached ZIP into the top level of the EFI partition of the USB flash disk. When the file is unzipped, there will be a folder called OC-064-VISION-D.
  4. Rename this folder to EFI, otherwise the system will not boot.
  5. Use HackinDROM to transfer PlatformInfo from existing OpenCore config.plist to new version. Please follow the guide by clicking here and see screenshot below.
Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 10.08.47 AM.png
After the modified config.plist has been copied to the EFI/OC folder of the USB flash disk, proceed as follows:
  1. Reboot and press F12 at the BIOS Splash Screen. When the BIOS Boot Menu (not OpenCore Picker) appears, select the USB flash disk.
  2. Warning: It is necessary to Reset NVRAM one time prior to booting macOS. This can be done by pressing spacebar at the OpenCore Picker and choosing Reset NVRAM. On multi-boot systems, select the default startup disk in System Preferences --> Startup Disk.
  3. At the OpenCore 0.6.4 Picker menu, select and boot the internal macOS disk.
  4. If everything works correctly, copy the new OpenCore EFI folder from the USB flash disk to the EFI partition of the main macOS SSD.
CAUTION:
  • If you are using a custom Thunderbolt SSDT or any other custom SSDTs or Kexts, please update your config.plist accordingly.
  • During startup or reboot, the Gigabyte splash screen may take several seconds to clear, which means the OpenCore Picker GUI will take more time to appear. If this happens, the delay could be fixed by removing AudioDxe.efi from the OpenCore config.plist.

Attachments

• OC-064-VISION-D.zip
    4 MB · Views: 366
Last edited:
Thanks for this Casey!

I attempted (and failed) to update to 0.6.4 on mine.

Any Vision G users feeling ever so kind?

Thanks for this Casey!

I attempted (and failed) to update to 0.6.4 on mine.

Any Vision G users feeling ever so kind?
Ouch, welcome to the wonderful (or nauseating) world of monthly updates...
  • When you say that OC 0.6.4 failed, what exactly did you see or experience?
  • Have you tried using the OC 0.6.4 EFI for Z490 Vision D and making the following changes as stated in Post 1:

Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 1.08.23 PM.png

@any Mod...
My previous request with "opencore failed to calculate size of false field containing empty as type integer context playchime" before displaying OC 0.64 was not approved after pending with moderation. No idea why :(

CaseySJ, installation succesfull! Installed with the new OC 0.64

But an error appear in bios screen when computer start: "OCS: Failed to calculate size of false field containing <empty> os type integer " , exactly like described by MacArthur

And Ethernet Intel 2.5G don't run - not recognized .

Wi-Fi run faster, BT ok, all usb ports ok, all others run like a real Mac. Overclocked all 10 cores at 5.1Ghz, low temps only with NZXT 360 AIO.

Hardware:
i9 10850K
Aorus Z490 Master
64Go Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200Mhz c16 (fixed c13 in bios)
Saphire Radeon RX 5700 XT Nitro+
Samsung Nvme 970 EVO Plus 500Go
Fenvi HB 1200M
PSU Corsair AX1000

Last edited:
@any Mod...
My previous request with "opencore failed to calculate size of false field containing empty as type integer context playchime" before displaying OC 0.64 was not approved after pending with moderation. No idea why :(

CaseySJ, installation succesfull! Installed with the new OC 0.64

But an error appear in bios screen when computer start: "OCS: Failed to calculate size of false field containing <empty> os type integer " , exactly like described by MacArthur

And Ethernet Intel 2.5G don't run - not recognized .

Ah, you didn’t follow the instructions strictly! Cannot use OpenCore Configurator and must use HackinDROM to copy serial numbers from old config.plist into new config.plist.

Ah, you didn’t follow the instructions strictly! Cannot use OpenCore Configurator and must use HackinDROM to copy serial numbers from old config.plist into new config.plist.
Ok done and it works perfectly!
Happy to know that I am not the only bad student in the classroom :)
May I know for my personal training what is the advantage of doing so, compared with the previous method?
Thanks again !

Back