Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Does any one has a K version and if yes, is it worth ? Planning to buy a 10850k, but not sure whether it will be an issue or not. Quite confused about this throttling thing. And if I go ahead with the 10850k, what can I do to check whether it is throttling or not ? Thanks

I purchased a K processor to be able to overclock it if I so choose to overclock it however, I do not.

CPU throttle when they reach the thermal limit if you buy a good cooler be it water cooler or air cooler and you should not experience throttling issues. It is recommended that to overclock you should use a water cooler.

To check if the CPU is Throttling install Intel power gadget and set it to test maximum frequency and watch it.

Does any one has a K version and if yes, is it worth ? Planning to buy a 10850k, but not sure whether it will be an issue or not. Quite confused about this throttling thing. And if I go ahead with the 10850k, what can I do to check whether it is throttling or not ? Thanks
Read this post: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i5-10400-amd-rx-580.298642/post-2159230

On Z490 Vizion D/G motherboards K and non-K CPUs hasn't any PL1/PL2 limits and CPU can always be on high frequency and power consumption. I mean, K and non-K CPUs has no limits and may consume more than 200W for 1, 2, 10 minutes - time doesn't matter, only temperature, and CPU need very good cooler to avoid throttling. Both versions is very fast (but you can overclock K version), but very hot too.

You can buy K or non-K CPU, and both versions need VERY GOOD cooler for i9 10850/10900(K) CPU.
If you have money for i9 - please, spent some for water cooling system (good solution, obviously, 360mm radiator cooler).

Please, read this posts:

Intel Power Gadget is the tool to use
As the 10850k has same frequencies as the 10900 but unlocked, get wichever the cheapest, if similar go for the K for slightly better resale value
I tried the 10900k months ago and then moved to 10900 ES and non K, and that's how i got these values.
To check throttling use intel power gadget while running cinebench and see if it reaches any limit by thermals. The z490 vision D will not limit by tdp while some other boards by def will, but that can be disabled in bios.

Ok new test,

SSDT-USBW and USBWakeFixup turned off. Bluetooth wake turned on. Apple Wireless Mouse disconnected and turned off. DELL wireless mouse connected in place of Apple Wireless Mouse. Computer sleeps and doesn't wake again until I hit the DELL mouse or Apple Wireless Keyboard. Tested this twice. So Sleep/Wake appears to work with DELL mouse.

So my issue appears to be the fact that I'm using an Apple Wireless Mouse. Suspect Apple does something special with it's wireless mouse that doesn't happen with other wireless mice (but that is just a guess). Don't appear to need SSDT-USBW and USBWakeFixup but will turn back on since your download is delivered that way. Don't think it will make any difference but will test.

Thanks Casey!

Rand
Premature conclusion.

The system will go to sleep and stay asleep for a while but then the computer will wake, but not the monitor, and it appears that the computer may not go to sleep again, although the display is still off. I looked at the log from last night and observed normal sleep, dark wakes, normal wakes. The display was off this morning when I woke it at 06:52:30 but the computer was not asleep (e.g., not in a low power state). I do have a backup program that is set to wake the computer at 1:00 am and 3:00 am and that appeared to happen in the pmset log. Hit sleep in Apple Menu and went to sleep fine.

So still need to try some more things from the Sleep/Wake thread. Right now have "Power Nap" turned off, sleep set to 3 minutes. The Apple Mouse however is not the entire solution, at least for my system.

Thanks Casey.

Rand

Read this post: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i5-10400-amd-rx-580.298642/post-2159230

On Z490 Vizion D/G motherboards K and non-K CPUs hasn't any PL1/PL2 limits and CPU can always be on high frequency and power consumption. I mean, K and non-K CPUs has no limits and may consume more than 200W for 1, 2, 10 minutes - time doesn't matter, only temperature, and CPU need very good cooler to avoid throttling. Both versions is very fast (but you can overclock K version), but very hot too.

You can buy K or non-K CPU, and both versions need VERY GOOD cooler for i9 10850/10900(K) CPU.
If you have money for i9 - please, spent some for water cooling system (good solution, obviously, 360mm radiator cooler).

Please, read this posts:

Got my 10900k at 5.1Ghz under water 24/7 stable @ 1.35v LLC set to 'extreme'. Under heavy load it reaches 69c so yes its definitely worth getting decent cooling! Was getting all sorts of weirdness in Catalina when my overclock wasnt stable so its crucial to stress test and benchmark the system till its good.

Anyone know if theres any risk me nuking my Win 10 install with Steam OS on a separate drive to OS X? Its really difficult to physically remove my Catalina drive as its an NVME screwed into the Vision G mobo directly (and theres watercooling loops in the way lol!).

Q. Is it safe to install Steam OS on a separate drive to OS X without physically removing the OS X drive? Will it mess with Opencore/Catalina? I'm so SICK of windows!

@CaseySJ tried your suggestion. It boots from 0.6.1 but same issue when I reinstall 0.6.3 OC with no entries in NVRAM->delete.
Not really sure what to do now.
Out of curiosity, do I need to add those entries back in NVRAM->delete?
One suggestion that comes to mind immediately:
  • Make a copy of the OC 0.6.1 EFI folder and keep the original one safe.
  • Perform an in-place upgrade of the OC 0.6.1 folder to 0.6.3 by following this guide.
    • However, do not replace any files in the current OC/Drivers folder or the current OC/ACPI folder.
  • This will just update OpenCore binaries from OC 0.6.1 to OC 0.6.3, but will not update anything else.
  • Then boot from this updated EFI folder.
  • Can you run Windows from OpenCore Picker now?

Premature conclusion.

The system will go to sleep and stay asleep for a while but then the computer will wake, but not the monitor, and it appears that the computer may not go to sleep again, although the display is still off. I looked at the log from last night and observed normal sleep, dark wakes, normal wakes. The display was off this morning when I woke it at 06:52:30 but the computer was not asleep (e.g., not in a low power state). I do have a backup program that is set to wake the computer at 1:00 am and 3:00 am and that appeared to happen in the pmset log. Hit sleep in Apple Menu and went to sleep fine.

So still need to try some more things from the Sleep/Wake thread. Right now have "Power Nap" turned off, sleep set to 3 minutes. The Apple Mouse however is not the entire solution, at least for my system.

Thanks Casey.

Rand
Some of this behavior you describe affects most of us. Feel free to troubleshoot further, but at some point the best solution is to just leave it as-is. And turn the computer off when not using for long periods of time (such as overnight).

Some of this behavior you describe affects most of us. Feel free to troubleshoot further, but at some point the best solution is to just leave it as-is. And turn the computer off when not using for long periods of time (such as overnight).
I'm sure you are right Casey and greatly appreciate your advice. I did discover that I had left SSDT-USBW and USBWakeFixup disabled, so that is likely why I was having issues last night. Right now I have sleep timer set to 3 minutes and everything seems to be working fine with the DELL mouse. What I don't know is if will wake on its on and if so will it go back to sleep. Ah well, just have to not touch the mouse today and see what happens :).

Thanks for the excellent advice.

Rand

**Update on random crashes**

Before performing the stress test, I set the BIOS (VCORE, LLC as suggested)

I have since as recommended performed a stress test in Windows (bearing in mind my CPU is not overclocked or anything). Upon downloading and looking into it, I thought I would run a quick 5 minute test to see what would happen. After 4m58sec it froze and the fans fired up. I had a loom at the MOBO to see if there was any error codes and found it said C1. Gigabytes manual is not at all helpful at this point because it says the C1-9 is 'reserved' (not helpful).

Upon investigating this, suggestions were that it is RAM, well I had already taken this out and reseated it.
I did it once more, except I swapped their position in the slots (1-3 & 3-1).

Fired it up again and did a quick stress test and it sailed through. No problems, did a couple of bits, went back into MacOS, did some more bits with no issues... this was all since 10:30 this morning and I'm still here doing bits and it's running quietly, no dramas and behaving the way it should be.
Just finishing a couple of installs and getting things back to a place where I am happy and then I shall use SuperDuper to create a Bootable backup (just incase).

Thank you all for the help and suggestions, I'm not entirely out of the woods yet but I definitely feel that it is in a better place than it was a day or two ago!

Big shout out to @CaseySJ @Ayvan @Higgie @hughythomas and anyone else who has contributed to helping me out, many thanks

Last edited:

Please, read this posts:
My system is the 10900k with Noctura D14 dual fan heatsink. My system is stable and runs quiet and cool. No throttling. Yet to overclock it. It’s fast. Quicker than the iMac Pro 14 core.

Attachments

• 8F08C75A-F7C0-4A4C-903C-A5E7ECC8DBC7.jpeg
    8F08C75A-F7C0-4A4C-903C-A5E7ECC8DBC7.jpeg
    184.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 08F19BAF-E8B0-46F2-BF8C-9FCB149B5F83.jpeg
    08F19BAF-E8B0-46F2-BF8C-9FCB149B5F83.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 74
Back