Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hi there,

One the Thunderbolt firmware is updated on this motherboard do antelope audio devices work?
Anyone has experience about this?

Thanks a lot.

Hi there,

One the Thunderbolt firmware is updated on this motherboard do antelope audio devices work?
Anyone has experience about this?

Thanks a lot.
Unfortunately Antelope Audio devices don’t work even after Thunderbolt firmware is flashed.

@CaseySJ yes windows 10 boots fine if I press F12 and select the windows 10 NVMe drive. I have compared 0.6.1 and 0.6.3 config.plist and here is what I have found:
set in 0.6.3 but not in 0.6.1:
View attachment 499156

Boot-arg in 0.6.3 has the extra igfxfw=2: agdpmod=pikera alcid=11 keepsyms=1 debug=0x100 dart=0 igfxfw=2
Set in 0.6.3 but not in 0.6.1:
View attachment 499157

In 0.6.3 the device id has a # in front where it does not in 0.6.1:
View attachment 499158

In 0.6.3 I have entries in NVRAM->delete whereas I have nothing in 0.6.1:
View attachment 499159

And that's it. Those are the only differences. The only one I could think of causing the issue is the igfxfw=2. I don't remember exactly why I added it but it is after reading a post in one of those pages.
Kernel Quirks and boot-args apply only to macOS. With OC 0.6.1 can you boot Windows from OpenCore Picker? The only change that might affect Windows is the NVRAM —> Delete section.

This is correct...

the thing I find most puzzling, is trying to figure what is all of a sudden causing these issues? I built my Hack back in August and it has run beautifully, with no issues (OC 0.6.0/ OS10.15.6). Then in the last fortnight or so, it has become unstable. It would sometimes work for hours, then sometimes 10 minutes? I'm generally one of those sorts of people who believe in the 'If it ain't broke' camp and not fussed about latest OS's. I just want a stable system again.

Based on what you have asked here

I have reseated the RAM, as well as doing the same with the power cable.
I have now left it on to see whether it stays on for the day while I am at work.

I will report back on this later (fingers crossed)

After leaving my hack on all day, it didn't crash and came home to it still with the screen saver on.
Clicked on it, logged and opened it all up, no problem.

Based on the fact it had been on all day, I decided to download Pro Tools to see what would happen.
That downloaded and installed and opens up fine. Thought I would download a few of the add-ons and they downloaded with no issue.

Installed these and went to go and have a some food and I came back to find that the hack had crashed again with the fans running (not full tilt but definitely sounded like it is was under some load) but nothing was running??

I really thought that after a day of sitting idle and it being on was a break through compared with last night where it fell over during the night?

Not sure what the next step is this point to pin point the issue?

Last edited:
Because EFIClone does not create any new content, those folders already existed in the EFI partition. MacOS does in fact create or store content in the EFI partition.
@CaseySJ

I verified that neither the source nor clone EFI partitions contained a System Volume Information folder. I then ran CCC to clone the source without using the EFIClone script and checked the EFI partition of the clone and there was NO System Volume Information folder created.

I then activated your experimental EFIClone script. I rechecked that the source and clone EFI partitions contained ONLY the EFI folder. I then reran CCC and checked both the source and clone EFI partition contents. The source EFI partition contained only the EFI folder, but the EFI partition of the clone now contained a System Volume Information folder.

So since the EFIClone script is not creating these empty folders, then CCC 5.1.23 is apparently creating these folders during running the script.

The EFIClone log shows the System Volume Information folder and its two contained folders. Does this indicates that CCC created these folders before it ran the EFIClone script?

EFIClone Log.jpg

It would be interesting to know if others observe the creation of the System Volume Information folder in the EFI partition of the clone when running this script under Big Sur.

@CaseySJ

I verified that neither the source nor clone EFI partitions contained a System Volume Information folder. I then ran CCC to clone the source without using the EFIClone script and checked the EFI partition of the clone and there was NO System Volume Information folder created.

I then activated your experimental EFIClone script. I rechecked that the source and clone EFI partitions contained ONLY the EFI folder. I then reran CCC and checked both the source and clone EFI partition contents. The source EFI partition contained only the EFI folder, but the EFI partition of the clone now contained a System Volume Information folder.

So since the EFIClone script is not creating these empty folders, then CCC 5.1.23 is apparently creating these folders during running the script.

The EFIClone log shows the System Volume Information folder and its two contained folders. Does this indicates that CCC created these folders before it ran the EFIClone script?

View attachment 499244

It would be interesting to know if others observe the creation of the System Volume Information folder in the EFI partition of the clone when running this script under Big Sur.
Because EFIClone internally uses rsync, perhaps those folder are being created by that command? Anyway, I can run some tests soon. We can in fact invoke the script directly:
Bash:
./EFIClone.sh <source> <destination>
Example:
Bash:
./EFIClone.sh / /Volumes/My-Backup

Update: Just ran a test on my Z490 Vision D and sure enough a System Volume Information folder was created, albeit completely empty. I think it's quite harmless. Notice the "Date Modified" is August 10 even though this drive was freshly formatted today. So it may be something created by rsync.
Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 2.27.51 PM.png

Last edited:
After leaving my hack on all day, it didn't crash and came home to it still with the screen saver on.
Clicked on it, logged and opened it all up, no problem.

Based on the fact it had been on all day, I decided to download Pro Tools to see what would happen.
That downloaded and installed and opens up fine. Thought I would download a few of the add-ons and they downloaded with no issue.

Installed these and went to go and have a some food and I came back to find that the hack had crashed again with the fans running (not full tilt but definitely sounded like it is was under some load) but nothing was running??

I really thought that after a day of sitting idle and it being on was a break through compared with last night where it fell over during the night?

Not sure what the next step is this point to pin point the issue?
The add-ons sound suspicious. But one can always repeat the experiment by installing just Pro Tools (no add-ons) and testing it for several hours. If okay, then install the add-ons one by one. Run it for several hours after each add-on in order to identify the culprit (assuming one of them is the culprit).

The add-ons sound suspicious. But one can always repeat the experiment by installing just Pro Tools (no add-ons) and testing it for several hours. If okay, then install the add-ons one by one. Run it for several hours after each add-on in order to identify the culprit (assuming one of them is the culprit).
I’m gradually installing bits and it’s been okay so far. Are there any settings in the Bios that addresses temperature, just because when it crashes the fans run up. Could this be a sign of temperature? I do run a heater in my room to keep warm (not sweltering, 20degrees) but I just wonder if it could be a factor? I’ve got the heater off in my room at the moment and all seems good, therefore is there a setting in the BIOS that addresses temp?

I really appreciate your time and help with this greatly

**Update**

Since the little wobble it had earlier, it has been running fine, I'm just starting to suspect air flow as it is currently on top of my desk and it is working as it would normally. I will certainly be making a Bootable back up!

Last edited:
I’m gradually installing bits and it’s been okay so far. Are there any settings in the Bios that addresses temperature, just because when it crashes the fans run up. Could this be a sign of temperature? I do run a heater in my room to keep warm (not sweltering, 20degrees) but I just wonder if it could be a factor? I’ve got the heater off in my room at the moment and all seems good, therefore is there a setting in the BIOS that addresses temp?

I really appreciate your time and help with this greatly
Please see this in Post 1:

Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 1.40.34 PM.png

Worth a try...

Back