Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hello, wanted to report a smooth upgrade to Big Sur 11.0.1

It took about 30min, 3 o 4 boots.

I upgraded to OC 0.63 first. I've never had an easier OC/Clover update, just dropped the new EFI folder, replaced config.plist, all done

I'm not a big fan of bios upgrades, so I left mine untouched, it's F2 I think (or the stock version I received on purchase)

Thanks a lot for this guide @CaseySJ !! Makes this hackintosh feel like actual apple hardware
Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 10.16.30.jpeg

@CaseySJ I have a weird issue... from time to time i get a random crash, both screens go black, and the macos crashes, I need to do a full restart on the button. When I turn the PC on, there is no MacOS crash message or anything. I noticed this is very random and happens sometimes only 1 a week. The weird part is, this happened in windows too, once.

I search a lot and this is a common issue with RX5700 XT, but they say it's drivers related... But on Hackintosh the drivers are different, right?

I switched my memory RAM for new modules and also got a new PSU. Issue still persists.

Should I try to switch/RMA the GPU? Or will the issue still remain?

Just hoping you have any idea on what's going on... I've tried everything

1. I upgraded GA-Z490 Vision D by referring to my teacher's "Mini-Guide for Flash SPI ROM Chips Using 3.3V CH341a Programmer."

2. I referred to what the teacher wrote.
In "Thunderbolt DROM Micro-Guide for Gigabyte Z490 Vision D," Option 2: Superuser Method (credit: @joevt)
Please see this guide for advanced users."
You did everything correctly! Well done. However, there is a known problem with hot-plugging USB-C devices. Those devices will work if connected before boot, but not after boot. However, Thunderbolt devices will hot plug correctly. If you have a Thunderbolt device, you may test hot plug capability to verify that it works.

@CaseySJ How to tell if TB hot plug is working correctly (I have no TB devices at the moment)? I have checked mine and it looks the same. Could you tell me how it's supposed to look like?
Oh no, looks like a lot of people have this problem. I will update the entire ACPI folder soon for this motherboard.

Your screenshot indicates that Thunderbolt will not work, but the solution should be simple once I provide the new ACPI folder.

@CaseySJ I have a weird issue... from time to time i get a random crash, both screens go black, and the macos crashes, I need to do a full restart on the button. When I turn the PC on, there is no MacOS crash message or anything. I noticed this is very random and happens sometimes only 1 a week. The weird part is, this happened in windows too, once.

I search a lot and this is a common issue with RX5700 XT, but they say it's drivers related... But on Hackintosh the drivers are different, right?

I switched my memory RAM for new modules and also got a new PSU. Issue still persists.

Should I try to switch/RMA the GPU? Or will the issue still remain?

Just hoping you have any idea on what's going on... I've tried everything
Ouch, sorry to hear that. Even though the drivers are different of course in Windows and macOS, both are written by AMD so they have that in common!

What is the name/model of your RX 5709 XT?

Ouch, sorry to hear that. Even though the drivers are different of course in Windows and macOS, both are written by AMD so they have that in common!

What is the name/model of your RX 5709 XT?
It's the Sapphire RX5700 XT Pulse.

I was thinking of getting the Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+ or Gigabyte RX5700 XT, to see if this fixes it.

But if it keeps happening, then I bought a new GPU for nothing... I'm hesitant specially because of the new RX6800 XT just out there with possible support for hackintoshes.

I use 2 monitores, one is a 4K@60HZ and another is 2K@144HZ, both using display port.

@CaseySJ No problem. Here it is. Thanks

Thanks. Will send you an updated ACPI folder shortly.
Please backup your ACPI folder and try the modified one attached below. Copy all files inside the unzipped folder to your OC/ACPI folder.

There is a new version of the Thunderbolt hot-plug SSDT as well, called SSDT-TB3HP-V2.aml. Simply edit your config.plist in OpenCore Configurator and make the change shown below.

@bider,
Please do the same. Then reboot and post a screenshot of IORegistryExplorer --> RP05 section.

Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 2.07.43 PM.png

Then reboot and see if you can launch Windows from OpenCore Picker.

Attachments

• emistral-ACPI.zip
    15.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
It's the Sapphire RX5700 XT Pulse.

I was thinking of getting the Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+ or Gigabyte RX5700 XT, to see if this fixes it.

But if it keeps happening, then I bought a new GPU for nothing... I'm hesitant specially because of the new RX6800 XT just out there with possible support for hackintoshes.

I use 2 monitores, one is a 4K@60HZ and another is 2K@144HZ, both using display port.
Your Sapphire RX 5700 XT is actually the recommended version (as is the PowerColor Red Dragon). Some things to try:
  • Check the PSU rating. Is it a minimum of 650W?
  • Try to reproduce the problem in Windows because if you can do that, it more strongly suggests a hardware issue rather than a macOS issue.
  • Also try to disconnect all unnecessary USB and Thunderbolt devices to see if the problem disappears.
  • Does the problem occur when only one monitor is connected?
  • Also remove any RadeonBoost or other performance-enhancing kexts.

Back