Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hey,
So far it's going good with my new volume - "Rons" as the home folder, but as you can see in the picture I've noticed there is a volume named "Catalina - Data" I suppose this is my older home folder, Is it safe to delete it?

View attachment 493517
Hey,
I've created a new home folder called "Rons" as mentioned in the quoted post
I looked around "Catalina - Data" and found my old home folder named "rons" (see attached picture). Is it safe to delete it? it contain a lot of junk and I don't use it. If not then can I delete specific parts of it? the heavy ones?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 8.39.35.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 8.39.35.png
    195.5 KB · Views: 26
Hey,
I've created a new home folder called "Rons" as mentioned in the quoted post
I looked around "Catalina - Data" and found my old home folder named "rons" (see attached picture). Is it safe to delete it? it contain a lot of junk and I don't use it. If not then can I delete specific parts of it? the heavy ones?
Yes it is okay to delete the old home directory. But make a full bootable backup first.

Reactions: nss
@CaseySJ

Hi, my hack randomly wakes up, maybe you know what is the reason? Also if I disable PowerNap it wont sleep at all. Otherwise sleep work’s properly.

View attachment 497853
Hello @lewys

Please see the Sleep Aid:

@CaseySJ Thank you very much for your guides and all the help in this thread.
I was running your Build without any problems, but since upgrading to Big Sur and opencore 0.6.3 I expericene a lot of mouse stutter. This did not happen before.

Is there anything I can try to prevent this?

I am using a Logitech MX Set with the Unifying Receiver and I tried different USB-Slots without any significant improvements.

Yes, all the bios settings are as specificed on page 1 except for Extreme Memory Profile, which is still set to disabled.
2 dimms are in A1 and B1 and the same make. And when I say the settings, I mean when I power on, hit F12, hit F2 and then go to Save and Exit, and Load Profiles and load the saved profile. Then all settings are as specified on page 1 except Extreme Memory Profile is disabled. The Thunderbolt does look like its enabled in IORegistry, but in system profile it now says no drivers are loaded
That's much better! Thunderbolt is working now (please ignore System Information --> Thunderbolt). However, there's a little problem shown in red below, which the attached SSDT should be able to fix.

Simply do the following:
  • Mount EFI partition of internal SSD and copy the attached file to EFI/OC/ACPI folder.
  • Run OpenCore Configurator, open your config.plist, and make the following changes:
    • In the ACPI section, uncheck SSDT-TB2HP.aml
    • Click the "+" button at the bottom right and select SSDT-TB3HP-V2.aml from the EFI/OC/ACPI folder
    • Save the modified config.plist
  • Reboot
  • Feel free to post the IOReg file again if you like (IORegistryExplorer --> File --> Save As...).

Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 5.27.53 AM.png

Attachments

• SSDT-TB3HP-V2.aml
    2.4 KB · Views: 39
@CaseySJ Thank you very much for your guides and all the help in this thread.
I was running your Build without any problems, but since upgrading to Big Sur and opencore 0.6.3 I expericene a lot of mouse stutter. This did not happen before.

Is there anything I can try to prevent this?

I am using a Logitech MX Set with the Unifying Receiver and I tried different USB-Slots without any significant improvements.
Hello @BigBasti1984,

I regularly recommend Logitech wireless devices with the Unifying Receiver so let's check some quick things:
  • Is the Unifying Receiver connected to a USB port on the rear IO panel?
  • If so, does the stutter improve or disappear if the Receive is moved to a USB port closer to the mouse (including front panel of the computer case)?
  • Are the mouse batteries running low?
Note that I'm running Big Sur on 5 computers (in my signature) that have different motherboards, different CPUs, different versions of Logitech mice and keyboards. All of them are behaving just fine, but my MX Master 3 for Mac (mouse) does stutter when its battery begins to run low.

Hey again @CaseySJ
A bit off topic but wanted to ask you on this thread about why you'd still recommend rx 580 over 5700 xt ? ( Assuming we don't use MSI family range which has sleep wake issues )

Hey again @CaseySJ
A bit off topic but wanted to ask you on this thread about why you'd still recommend rx 580 over 5700 xt ? ( Assuming we don't use MSI family range which has sleep wake issues )
Actually I recommend both the RX 580 and RX 5700 XT. You will find, however, that I recommend RX 580 in these cases:
  • For someone who is using iGPU or someone looking for a low-cost AMD GPU.
  • I also recommend RX 480 in such cases.

Actually I recommend both the RX 580 and RX 5700 XT. You will find, however, that I recommend RX 580 in these cases:
  • For someone who is using iGPU or someone looking for a low-cost AMD GPU.
  • I also recommend RX 480 in such cases.
Makes sense, my blower fan 5700 xt reference model was sounding like skidding car wheels so was thinking to either downgrade or get the same one.

That's much better! Thunderbolt is working now (please ignore System Information --> Thunderbolt). However, there's a little problem shown in red below, which the attached SSDT should be able to fix.

Simply do the following:
  • Mount EFI partition of internal SSD and copy the attached file to EFI/OC/ACPI folder.
  • Run OpenCore Configurator, open your config.plist, and make the following changes:
    • In the ACPI section, uncheck SSDT-TB2HP.aml
    • Click the "+" button at the bottom right and select SSDT-TB3HP-V2.aml from the EFI/OC/ACPI folder
    • Save the modified config.plist
  • Reboot
  • Feel free to post the IOReg file again if you like (IORegistryExplorer --> File --> Save As...).

View attachment 497913

Attachments

• imac3.ioreg
    8.7 MB · Views: 71
Back