Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

We must Load Optimized Defaults and configure the remaining BIOS parameters according to Post 1. The longer boot process is 100% normal. The power off / power on is 100% normal. Pressing F12, however, should not report a boot failure. Let’s download and install the latest BIOS from Gigabyte’s website. A FAT32 formatted USB flash disk is needed for this.

I've tried all three BIOS from the Gigabyte website, all fail. FWIW they system boots into macOS with the F5 and F7 versions, it gets stuck at the apple logo with F4

I've tried all three BIOS from the Gigabyte website, all fail. FWIW they system boots into macOS with the F5 and F7 versions, it gets stuck at the apple logo with F4
The F4 BIOS, as I recall, does not expose CFG-Lock, and it is disabled by default, so F4 BIOS will not work. In the newer versions we must go to BIOS Setup and disabled CFG-Lock from the Boot section.

Hello !
I would like to know if it was possible to install two NVMe SSDs on this build like this one
Thank you

Hello !
I would like to know if it was possible to install two NVMe SSDs on this build like this one
Thank you
I Have three NVme drives installed. One in the top PCIe slot on a card, with a large heatsink. One in the first M.2 slot under PCIe 1, and the last is in the lowest M.2 slot. My graphics GPU is in slot 2. This means it will run at x8, not x16, but there is no lag in performance. I had to do this because my fan heatsink for the CPU was touching the graphics card when in the top PCIe slot. All three of my NVMe drives read and write at upwards fo 3000MB/s. Th lowest M.2 slot is tucked under the graphics card, so it gets little airflow. This NVMe drive gets to 50c, which is a little warm, but it runs ok. I ended up putting in a 120mm fan that blows directly across the PCIe cards. This brought it down to 45c. All the other drives are at 38-40c. I have Samsung Evo Plus 1TB, WD black 2TB and a Sabrent 1TB, which is PCIe Version 4 ready. I got this one, so I can utilize the speed up to 5000MB/s, when the next Intel chips come out.

I hope this helps you out.

I Have three NVme drives installed. One in the top PCIe slot on a card, with a large heatsink. One in the first M.2 slot under PCIe 1, and the last is in the lowest M.2 slot.
[...]
I hope this helps you out.
It does ! Thanks a lot !

** Mini-Guide: Upgrading to macOS 11.0.x Big Sur from macOS 10.15.x Catalina **
AVAILABLE STARTING NOVEMBER 12, 2020
Please do not quote this guide in its entirety. Post a link instead.
macOS Big Sur is a major upgrade of the Macintosh operating system, so much so that it increments the version number to 11 for the first time in over a decade.

Good luck and welcome to Big Sur! Having used the public beta for the past few months, I absolutely love Big Sur. I hope you do too. :)

@CaseySJ Have you attemped a completely fresh install of Big Sur 11.01 yet? I am wondering how it went if so? Thanks

@CaseySJ Have you attemped a completely fresh install of Big Sur 11.01 yet? I am wondering how it went if so? Thanks

I've done a fresh install on 4 Hacks and 2 MacBooks. It's very simple and works out of the box. I haven't found a single app that works on Catalina but not on Big Sur.

I've done a fresh install on 4 Hacks and 2 MacBooks. It's very simple and works out of the box. I haven't found a single app that works on Catalina but not on Big Sur.
Same here. No problems at all.

Yes I've done a couple of fresh Big Sur installs on spare SSDs and the process was quite smooth. I've even upgraded by Asus X99 Deluxe II to Big Sur 11.0.1.

parts will arrive in the next couple of days, in the meantime I am preparing the files, usb stick etc and I got this error when downloading bigsur with gibMacOs and then making it an installer file:

Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 12.01.58 PM.png

maybe is necessary to start with catalina and then update.

Back