Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Could you upload both config.plist files (with different names of course)?

Here you go Bider - I've sanitised the serials in OCC by deleting numbers from each respective field and then saved. Hopefully OCC hasn't messed with them when I performed this.

0.6.1 is lightning quick on boot but 0.6.3 less so haha!

Attachments

• config 0.6.1.plist
    22.5 KB · Views: 62
  • config 0.6.3.plist
    24.2 KB · Views: 83
Did you flash the Thunderbolt chip to make the UAD Apollo Twin work? I have the exact same motherboard/cpu but my Apollo Twin doesn't come up (I haven't flashed the chip).
Sorry that I reply you so late...

No, you don't need to flash the Thunderbolt chip to make it work at its full potential. Do you have an Apollo Twin or Twin-X? I own the Twin-X version (thunderbolt 3).

What do you mean with "doesn't come up" ? Could you be more precise please?

OK, I didn't remember that trick -- I read about it a while ago somewhere but didn't track it. Thanks for the advice...I'll try that if I can't figure out where to disable the Intel card in BIOS.
There isn’t a way to disable the Intel card in BIOS, that is done by disabling HS14 in your USB Map for MacOS. Using the method I described is (as far as I know) the easiest way to keep them linked across both Windows and Mac that I could get to work.

Here you go Bider - I've sanitised the serials in OCC by deleting numbers from each respective field and then saved. Hopefully OCC hasn't messed with them when I performed this.

0.6.1 is lightning quick on boot but 0.6.3 less so haha!
I'm not 100% sure, but it may be caused by AudioDxe.efi in your 0.6.3. Remove it from config.plist - UEFI - Drivers and give it a go. I suppose it will boot as fast as 0.6.1.

I just wanted to share my experience about recently updating my Catalina to the 10.15.7 Supplemental update 19H15 (from a "former" 10.15.7 version that was already installed).

I think that it is important to mention that my OpenCore was not up-to-date, as I was running a 0.6.0 version.

... and this went horribly wrong! :eek: --> my system then was taking a while (several minutes) to launch the apps at login time and everything turned out to be unresponsive and damn slow. Example: you click on the Safari icon and the window pops up 20 seconds later :crazy: with no apparent task in the background stealing the CPU resources (at least as I could see it in Monitor).

As I installed a recent update of the UAD drivers at the same time, I first thought that it was the guilty one, because I could not see the UAD apps loading correctly at login after the installation. However, uninstalling them did not help.

Then I was thinking that it might be due to an incompatibility of my version of OpenCore (0.6.0) with the new 19H15 Catalina update. So I checked your updated post with OpenCore 0.6.3, and gave it a chance... it actually gracefully solved my issue!!! :wave: It means that there is really an incompatibility of OpenCore 0.6.0 with this supplemental update of Catalina, as strange as it may sound (as the former updates of Catalina that I have installed before never caused any trouble).

As I am a user of the Intel Bluetooth/WIFI driver, I set the SecureBootModel option to Default in the OpenCore configuration. By the way, I also read that this option prevents Big Sur to run correctly. @CaseySJ: do you think that there is a chance that these drivers would support SecureBootModel Disabled in the future?

I'm not 100% sure, but it may be caused by AudioDxe.efi in your 0.6.3. Remove it from config.plist - UEFI - Drivers and give it a go. I suppose it will boot as fast as 0.6.1.
Good Call... removing AudioDxe.efi makes getting past the Gigabyte splash screen much faster.

@mickelsn, I guess it's wasn't OC fault. Apple is having massive problems with their servers today (yesterday also) so at times system could be totally unresponsive for no reason. Just like in your case. It happened to me today already two times both on my hack and MacBook. Even opening about my mac took 10 seconds. Take a look for temporary solution in case it happens again - here

@CaseySJ what is the right value of Misc --> Security --> SecureBootModel to install big sur?
is it default or disabled ? I remember when this tag was introduced, it was set to default in teh config.plist but that prevented me to boot and I changed it to disabled and it is still set to disabled in my config.plist despite updating OC a few times. Just making sure that I set it to the right value before updating to big sur.
It should be disabled.

Thanks as always, @CaseySJ! Continued use of Fenvi for MacOS it is...given my infrequent use of Windows, it probably makes sense to discontinue my use of the onboard Intel WiFi/BT card and instead use the Fenvi card for that OS as well, correct? I would assume that would ensure that the card-to-device pairing with my keyboard and mouse across EFI/OpenCore and any OS...

I haven't looked at the EFI BIOS screens yet...does anyone remember where I find the option to disable this card at the motherboard level?
I have macOS and Windows on my Z490 Vision D. But I am doing this:
  • In Windows I did not install the Broadcom drivers, so Windows uses the on-board Intel WiFi 6 and Bluetooth 5.
  • In macOS, I did not install the OpenIntelWireless drivers, so macOS uses the Fenvi FV-T919 (WiFi 5 and Bluetooth 4).

Massive thanks to CaseySJ for your amazing work on this.

I am finally, up and running with minimal issues. I'm yet to properly put the machine through it's paces but I am still trying to iron out a sleep issue. When I put the system to sleep, it wakes straight back up again. I'm pretty sure that it's related to my Broadcom wifi/bluetooth module. When I unplug the power feed for the BT module from the internal USB 2.0 header the system does sleep. I'm actually using an original apple module mounted on a PCIE adapter (as pictured). This worked flawlessly on my previous (Z170) build so I'm a little surprised to find that it's not playing nicely in my new rig. One other side effect of the unsuccessful sleep cycle is that when I boot up into Windows 10 my device manager now shows an Unknown Device, for which I can't find a fix or a driver. If I do a fresh install of W10 and load all the drivers all is good but then the moment I boot into Catalina and try to put the system to sleep the device reappears when I next boot into W10.

Any help would be much appreciated. I did try and do a search on the issue as well as reading the first 36 pages of this thread but so far haven't found much.

View attachment 495411View attachment 495412
In my experience, it's better not to install Broadcom drivers in Windows. It's perfectly okay for Windows Device Manager to report the Broadcom module as "Unknown". Windows will use the much better Intel AX201 module instead.

Regarding sleep, there have been various reports of strange behavior when certain WiFi/BT cards are installed. The two that work best are Fenvi FV-T919 and YOUBO. A link to the YOUBO appears in the Notes section at the top of Post 1.

Back