Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hi all! I need help again. I am constantly having trouble with the Vision D. Often times it will not boot and gives 5 short beeps which according to Gigabyte is the the Real Time Clock. Is there anything in the EFI that might cause the RTC to not synchronize properly with macOS? The time in BIOS is off which I know is caused by the differences in the way Windows and macOS handle time but all my hack have had that. It is correct in macOS but wrong in Windows and BIOS. I appreciate any light you may able to give. this tread has some incredibly competent techies led by CaseySJ.

On another the note for which I have mentioned in previous posts, I am still having long delays in booting which I have not been able to fix. I am waiting for the RMA from Gigabyte.
Change the way Windows handles time, i.e set Windows to use Universal Time.

Just follow the guide HERE

Hello @dehjomz,

WiFi 6E is the same as WiFi 6, but it operates on the additional channels available in the 6 GHz band. Hence, WiFi 6E operates on 2.4GHz, 5.0GHz, and 6.0GHz.

It is very likely that AX210 will be compatible with the CNVi socket and Z490 chipset on the Vision D.

However, OpenIntelWireless drivers today don't support WiFi 5 or WiFi 6 so there's no benefit at this time for upgrading to WiFi 6E.

Additionally, we will need new or updated WiFi 6E routers.
I know but the benefit of 6 GHz is that you don’t have to worry about legacy non-WiFi 6 clients, and you also don’t worry about the bane of the 5 GHz experience in my view: DFS and RADAR.

Clean 160 MHz channels in 6 GHz with no DFS/radar is what I’m looking forward to. In the current 5 GHz band available to WiFi, it’s not possible to enable a 160 MHz channel that isn’t subject to a random frequency hop if radar is detected.

Also, WiFi7 (80211.be) seems exciting. But that’s coming in 2023-24.

Alas we have not been able to install Mojave on a Z490 system. Additionally, Mojave is not compatible with iMac20,1 or iMac20,2 because those systems shipped with Catalina. Hence, only Catalina and Big Sur support the 2020 iMacs.

So, I'll try iMac Pro 1,1 then.....maybe even that won't work, but I'll try it. Thanks!

Hi, CaseySJ!

So, I've decided to upgrade my Z370 to a Z490. I purchased a Z490 Vision D motherboard, and a 10850k to go with it.

But I'm just curious about whether to use iMac 19,1 def or a iMac 20,1 def with my new build, because I want to run Mojave for the time being. I know iMac 19,1 will, but I'm just wanting to try out iMac 20, 1. BUT, I do need Mojave to run on this new build.

Has anyone who used the iMac 20, 1 profile been able to run Mojave on it, to the best of your knowledge? I'm also considering using an iMac Pro 1,1 def, but I'm very much more interested in iMac 20,1.
I have Mojave running with 19,2 and igpu , getting artifacts on the thunderbolt to hdmi cable, but HDMI is fine. I'll try to do a guide to achieve this as soon as i have time to go through the process again, as it was a long trial and error and i don't know exactly how i got there :D mostly, fakecpuid to coffee lake, secure boot policy disabled

Heya thanks for the reply.

With due diligence I rebuilt my whole EFI folder from scratch following closely Casey's instructions and still I have the same problem as described above with 0.6.3.

This time I didn't go anywhere near propertree.

Going back to 0.6.1 config fixes the slow boot up issue for me.

@andyxm715 are you on 0.6.3 with your Vision G?
Yes, I have OC 0.6.3 on my system, I have included my EFI folder, the only things I have removed are my RealtekRTL8111.kext for my extra nic card, system details - just add yours like you would with CaseySJ OpenCore updates and I have added agdpmod=pikera for your graphics card.

Attachments

• OC-0.6.3-VISION-G.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 56
As a continuation of Process of Elimination, let's now avoid using Safari for a few days.

Because your CPU lacks an iGPU, are you using iMacPro1,1 or another Intel Xeon-based sysdef?

Update: The screenshots show you're using iMac20,2. Please try switching to iMacPro1,1 for a few days and disable the Device Property for iGPU as shown:

View attachment 494019
Thanks for your continued help @CaseySJ

Here is an update on my issue. I turned off iCloud and stopped using Safari and let it run for about for 4 days
and there was no freeze. No problem whatsoever. When I turned on iCloud and used Safari again the crashes were happening again.

After that I changed and saved the config.plist to iMacPro 1,1 of a clone I made after installing it originally without any other applications.
When it loaded it still was iMac20,2 with the same serial number. How is that possible? I checked the config.plist again and it was iMacPro 1,1. I must be doing something wrong. Any ideas?

I hope there is a solution with keeping my serial and iMac 20,2. I'm worried that I have to sign in to iCloud with a new ID, as well that it messes up my music software installations (iLok, Native Instruments and so on) protection.
When I use Logic Pro the system runs great, no problems.

The same is true on my Z490 Vision D (i.e. it does not work), but surprisingly this works on my AMD Ryzentosh (Gigabyte B550 Vision D):
View attachment 494896
I've never used this capability until now. Did it work previously on the Z490 Vision D?
I have finally managed to solve the issue. Enabling SSDT-NVRAM.aml made my power/sleep button working again! This is really interesting. Doesn’t Z490 have native NVRAM support?

@CaseySJ
Just saw your mini guide update for Big Sur.
Fine for me since the beginning, but I followed step by step your procedure :)
Just wanna rise this bad news for some users. are you aware of it: Feel free to remove if no concern for us ;-)
"MacOS 11.0.1 release candidate 2 poses serious installation issues for developers who update their Macs from Catalina; a priori, no problem for those who have installed this rc2 from the rc1. The testimonies are piling up on the Apple developers forum, or here for example. Apple apparently forgot to distribute the new version of bridgeOS, the firmware of the T2 chip: on an old version of macOS, the version of bridgeOS is outdated, which causes an error during installation."

Yes, I have OC 0.6.3 on my system, I have included my EFI folder, the only things I have removed are my RealtekRTL8111.kext for my extra nic card, system details - just add yours like you would with CaseySJ OpenCore updates and I have added agdpmod=pikera for your graphics card.

Thank you kindly sir - I will cross examine the configs and see whats going on with mine! No doubt I've missed something obvious but again I'm extremely grateful for the share!

I have finally managed to solve the issue. Enabling SSDT-NVRAM.aml made my power/sleep button working again! This is really interesting. Doesn’t Z490 have native NVRAM support?
This may be a bit of a puzzle. The Dortania guide states that SSDT-PMC (same as SSDT-NVRAM) is needed for Z390, but not for Z490. I would suggest keeping that SSDT enabled for the time being.

Back