Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Is Automatic Login enabled?
Yes it is. Note that this issue does not happen all the time when I boot but it is common

I apologize for what might be slightly off topic, but I'm desperate. I ordered the parts on page 1 (except a I7 10700) and have have been trying to assemble them. Right now I'm at the stage with the cpu, 1 stick m2 storage, 1 memory stick. When I hook up the power, I get a brief flash and nothing else. I've swaped motherboards, cpus, power supplies, M2 storage and memory DIMM. No difference. What am I doing wrong?

(for reference, I had no trouble building the flash drive for doing the install, but obviously I cant do that until I can get something to turn on.)

And yes I tried googling for this issue and got nowhere...
Hi!
I've been following this thread during the last few days as I'm putting together a dual boot system (10.5.7/W10) per request of a client (Z490 Vision D + I7-10700.)

@CaseySJ's work is just great... this is one of the most accurate and robust guides I have ever come across hands down. The 10.15.7 installation on itself went really smooth, so thanks for your time and generosity.

With that being said, the motherboard's being a bit rebellious, so this might help you @lcrl and any other user who faced/is facing any non-macOS related issues. I might have to RMA it, but wanted to hear from all of you first.

Stock BIOS (F2) wouldn't POST with a M2 drive plugged into any slot other than M2P_SB (the one furthest from the CPU.)
The system halted with code 00 and a red led on VGA when trying to boot from any of the other two slots. It also did not boot with two drives connected, even if one was plugged into the functional M2P slot.
Also XMP profile 1 puts me on a bootloop.

===========

I updated the BIOS through Gigabyte's Windows utility, called APP Center (wish I've done it manually with Q-Flash, but I didn't have a suitable flash drive) and that left me with the F6 version, which enabled the other two slots. With both of the M2 drives now fully operational I went on installing macOS following CaseySJ's guide, so update the BIOS if you haven't done so by now.

===========

The downside of all this is that the update had a negative impact on what I think is USB management, as it takes at least 20 seconds for the system to get past the Gigabyte splash screen and into the bootloader when a USB peripheral is plugged into any of the 3.x ports. After that, both OSs boot normally and fast from Opencore.

If I boot with a device plugged into a 2.0 port, the BIOS time gets reduced to 8 secs.

Catalina is really stable. Windows, on the other hand, threw a few assorted BSODs (ntfs.sys, tcpip.sys, Page fault in nonpaged area, Critical process died) but after some updates it seems to be doing better. An Unknown USB Device with descriptor request failure is shown on the Device Manager whenever a device is plugged into a 3.x port.
XMP has not been sorted out.

Do you guys think the mobo is faulty? macOS works like a charm...
I got a feeling that all of this is tweakable/fixable, and I don't want to swap the board. I'll try to Q-Flash to F7 ASAP.
BIOS update did help on critical aspects, so I'm gonna keep pushing things a bit forward and see where I end up.

Cheers and thanks for all the work!

Last edited:
Found a weird issue with Catalina on my i9 490 D build. In system prefs it says no connected to network, but I am. I have an IP address when I scan for it, but it is not connected in Network settings. If I turn it off in Network settings, I am still connected. Any ideas what is going on?
Are you using one of the two Ethernet ports on the rear IO panel, or an Ethernet PCIe add-in-card?

Also try deleting /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist and reboot. This file will be regenerated on boot.

Screen Shot 2020-11-07 at 3.37.48 AM.png

My iGPU is enabled in BIOS but I can't see it in System Information. So it's not in headless mode, right?

Maybe because my hackintosh is configured as an iMacPro1,1?

macOS doesn't show the iGPU anywhere if it's in headless mode. Only well to tell is to see if the Intel iGPU driver is attached to the iGPU in the IORegistry.
As @1Revenger1 mentioned, we can look for iGPU in IORegistryExplorer, which can be downloaded from here.

The downside of all this is that the update had a negative impact on what I think is USB management, as it takes at least 20 seconds for the system to get past the Gigabyte splash screen and into the bootloader when a USB peripheral is plugged into any of the 3.x ports. After that, both OSs boot normally and fast from Opencore.
Feel free to try CMOS Reset by shorting the two designated pins on motherboard with system shut down. Then configure BIOS parameters again. On my Z490 Vision D, sometimes it gets past the Gigabyte splash screen within 2-3 seconds and sometimes much longer. It has not bothered me.

Catalina is really stable. Windows, on the other hand, threw a few assorted BSODs (ntfs.sys, tcpip.sys, Page fault in nonpaged area, Critical process died) but after some updates it seems to be doing better. An Unknown USB Device with descriptor request failure is shown on the Device Manager whenever a device is plugged into a 3.x port.
XMP has not been sorted out.

Do you guys think the mobo is faulty? macOS works like a charm...
I got a feeling that all of this is tweakable/fixable, and I don't want to swap the board. I'll try to Q-Flash to F7 ASAP.
BIOS update did help on critical aspects, so I'm gonna keep pushing things a bit forward and see where I end up.

Cheers and thanks for all the work!
These problems might be due to the specific components installed on the motherboard. For example, memory modules can cause strange and seemingly unrelated problems. I would recommend installing just one memory module in A1 slot, then move it to A2 slot, etc. In other words, a little 'musical chairs' with memory DIMMs should be the first step in isolating the problem. At some point, of course, it might become clear that the motherboard itself is faulty, but at this time it seems the problem may lie elsewhere.

First, thank you CaseySJ, this guide has been incredible and I'm really close to a system I'm incredibly happy about.

I have one issue that I'm still experimenting with but wanted to check in for feedback on.

I have basically the system you've outlined plus the Gigabyte Titan Ridge 2.0 card (for LG Ultrafine 5k support) and the YOUBO wifi/bluetooth card. (Neither have the patched firmware)

The issue is when I attach the USB headers from both the Titan Ridge card and the YOUBO card, I no longer have the ability to use my Apollo x4, it isn't detected at all. If I unplug the USB header on the YOUBO it is detected fine, but then I have no bluetooth. I could try to get a USB Header splitter to only use the one MOBO header to see if that helps. (Note the Apollo is not detected in either the MOBO Thunderbolt 3 or the PCIe Card when both headers are connected)

Has anyone else run into this or have any ideas?

Update: Suddenly they are both working on a reboot, doesn't seem consistent and having sample rate issues with the Apollo. I'm going to flash the chips, will report back.

Last edited:
RX 580 Crashing while exporting videos.. I think it's H264 HEVC related issues... I have enabled iGPU.. MacX Video converter shows "Hardware Encoding enabled"..

Thanks alot CaseySJ

Ultimate and very stable build

Hiya, quick question about fan and pump headers. I've just built a system with the following spec:

Case: Gamemax Black hole (comes with an rgb fan hub)
Mobo: Z490 Vision D
CPU: 10850k
Cooler: Coolermaster ML280 mirror AIO
Mem: 64GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3600 CL18
GPU: Gigabyte Aorus 5700 xt

Initially I've built the system running both AIO fans from the the CPU and CPU opt headers, the pump is powered by the fan/Pump6 header and the three case fans are plugged into the fan hub which is powered by a sata cable with the pwm signal coming from the sys 2 header.

I was just about to embark upon hackintoshing it when I read your preamble regarding the importance of using the fan headers in order. My reason for choosing those particular headers for the aio and system fans was predominantly for a clean build. In the case of the pump, I chose the fan/pump6 header as it was the neatest option that was specified for pump use. On a previous build I found that when I tried to power the pump from either of the cpu fan headers (a MSI Z170A Gaming M3) it killed the power output both headers, no fan would run from them afterwards but they did still provide a pwm signal. Because of this I'm wary of connecting the pump to a header that isnt designed for such a load.

Will this setup cause me problems for the hackintosh build?

Are you using one of the two Ethernet ports on the rear IO panel, or an Ethernet PCIe add-in-card?

Also try deleting /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist and reboot. This file will be regenerated on boot.

View attachment 494651
Hi Casey, I am using the ethernet on the back of the board. I will try trashing the prefs and see what happens.

Thanks again.

Back