Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

At least one other person encountered this problem, but I don't recall the solution or workaround. Let's see if we can troubleshoot it here, and if successful, I'll add it to Post 1.
  • What is the make/model of your monitor?
  • Are you connecting via HDMI or DisplayPort cable?
  • Was macOS installed from scratch, or was an existing macOS SSD transplanted into this system?
  • What is the make/model of your RX 5700 XT?
  • If there's a "Factory Reset" option on the monitor itself (via its on-board menu), have you tried a factory reset?
  • What system name are you using? iMac19,1 or iMac20,2?
  • If nothing else works, please try SwitchResX from here. There's a trial period, and a license is quite inexpensive. If you need help with SwitchResX, just ask.

Thank you for the reply!

1. LG 27UD69P-W
2. DisplayPort
3. macOS Catalina and Big Sur was installed from scratch (same issue)
4. Sapphire RX 5700 XT Nitro+ Special Edition
5. Yes. Tried it, no luck
6. iMac20,2

P.S. I'm using that monitor for 3 years since Mojave without single issue.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply!

1. LG 27UD69P-W
2. DisplayPort
3. macOS Catalina and Big Sur was installed from scratch (same issue)
4. Sapphire RX 5700 XT Nitro+ Special Edition
5. Yes. Tried it, no luck
6. iMac20,2

P.S. I'm using that monitor for 3 years since Mojave without single issue.
Based on your replies, it seems you've done everything correctly. You (a) are not using a TV, (b) are not using a video adapter or converter, (c) did not transplant an existing SSD, (d) are not using an MSI RX 5700 GPU, etc.

I experienced a similar (not exact) problem with my B550 Vision D (AMD Ryzen CPU) and R9 380X GPU with macOS Big Sur. When connected to my Asus 27" 4K MX27UC, macOS would simply not detect and display a 4K 60Hz option. The same monitor and GPU were used on an AMD X570 Creator with no problem connecting at 4K 60.

After several unsuccessful days of troubleshooting, I installed SwitchResX and it fixed the problem immediately. And its settings are retained after reboot. I was so pleased with SwitchResX, I purchased a single-user license for US$16 and moved on.

Consider for a moment what is more important: three days of troubleshooting or two cheap lunches?

Consider for a moment what is more important: three days of troubleshooting or two cheap lunches?
Maybe you right, but I've used that monitor on my previous 10.15.7 Catalina build with Sapphire RX 580 without any issue... I will try to troubleshoot, if no I will try SwitchResX. Thank you!

I also had problems with 4K on Big Sur using thunderbolt. Using a Radeon voice. Thunderbolt to hdmi doesn’t work. monitor is detected but doesn’t power on.

4K works using the hdmi out from the card. But I had to upgrade to a high speed hdmi cable... I thought the old one I had supported 4K 60 Hz as I had it plugged into my Apple TV 4K, and never had a problem. But for some reason, using the vision d, using this cable would cause the signal to out randomly and I’d see black screens when viewing @ 4K. But once I upgraded to a new high speed 4K hdmi 120 Hz cable, it works just fine.

I did manage to get 4K to work via thunderbolt using a thunderbolt 3 dock, but only one of the ports on the dock outputs 4k using the vision d. The other one results in a black screen.

Last edited:
Sure. Nothing towards you (or anyone else for what matters).

Ok. Might get one when I am ready with my system.

I guessed that but thanks for reminding it.
I am going to get a Vision G + Titan Ridge 2.0 card. I was thinking to try a Vision D + Titan Ridge 2.0 but Vision D doesn't have any Thunderbolt header; if I got it correctly, it is not strictly necessary to connect headers, but without headers the card might give errors. Do you have any clue on that?

Can I ask you a quick question? Do you use Parallels to run Windows (or is there anyone using Parallels)? Is there any problem when connecting/disconnecting USB devices between MacOS & Windows?
I have been using Parallels for the last 6 years which is currently running Windows 10, zero problems with switching usb devices between MacOS and Windows, this includes USB 2.0, 3.0, 3.1 and USB-C devices.

But you got an extra hour of sleep as Daylight Savings Time ended! :)
That statement should not be taken literally or factually. For example, if I said that the dog ate my homework, it would not be appropriate to run a medical diagnosis on the dog’s condition. :)

From Business Insider:
Some researchers are concerned about how the twice-a-year switch impacts our body's physiology. The American Academy of Sleep Medicine, the largest scientific organization that studies sleep, now wants to replace daylight saving time with a move to a year-round fixed time. That way, our internal circadian clocks would not be misaligned for half the year. And it would eliminate the safety risk from sleep loss when transitioning to daylight saving time.

I am a neurologist at the University of Florida. I've studied how a lack of sleep can impair the brain. In the 1940s, most American adults averaged 7.9 hours of sleep a night. Today, it's only 6.9 hours. To put it another way: In 1942, 84% of us got the recommended seven to nine hours; in 2013, it was 59%. To break it down further, a January 2018 study from Fitbit reported that men got even less sleep per night than women, about 6.5 hours.

Back