Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

I accidentally updated to 10.15.7 without updating OpenCore. I can no longer boot from hard drive, and my serials were erased. How do I fix?

Thank you CaseySJ for the easiest build ever and for this guide. No issues at all. Thanks too to WhenMusicAttacks for your tips finally got the plain 10900 no K and it goes fast as hell 4,6GHz from scratch I owe you 100 quid.
for anyone interested this are the final components I assembled:

Gigabyte Z490 VISION D
Intel Core i9-10900 2.8 GHz
NZXT C750 750W 80 Plus Gold Modular
Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5
Be Quiet! Shadow Rock 3 CPU 120mm
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 PC4-25600 32GB
Be Quiet! Pure Base 600 USB 3.0
Sabrent 512GB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD (for OSx)
Western Digital WD Verde Internal SSD 2.5" SATA, Verde, 1 TB

Still untested: thunderbolt 3

Last edited:
I accidentally updated to 10.15.7 without updating OpenCore. I can no longer boot from hard drive, and my serials were erased. How do I fix?
Simply boot from your Bootable Backup disk that was made in Step 13 of Post #1 (specifically, connect the bootable backup disk then press F12 at the BIOS Splash Screen and select that disk from the list). After booting from that disk, use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the backup disk back to the main SSD. Also mount EFI partitions of both drives and copy EFI folder from backup disk to main disk.

Please note that if your main SSD is actually okay, but you believe that only the OpenCore EFI folder is bad, then it's only necessary to copy the EFI folder from the EFI partition of the bootable backup disk. It's not necessary in this case to clone the backup disk to the main disk.

Last edited:
Got it, thank you for the suggestion

Are there other options as well? As in better rated options?

Thank you
I have this exact card. It’s fine.

do note that for some reason, the kernel driver for these Aquantia pci-e cards don’t load in the Big Sur betas.

If you plan on running Big Sur, you will need a kernel patch to get them to work. Curiously, the thunderbolt3-based Aquantia cards load just fine in Big Sur without any kernel patching.

If you do end up getting an Aquantia based pcie these are the deets for the kernel patch in Big Sur:

*com.apple.driver.AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion
* Find: 0F84C002 0000
* Replace: 660F1F44 0000

set maxkernel set to 20.9.0

SecureBootModel may need to be set to Disabled.

Last edited:
Got it! Thank you again for the feedback.

Assuming no intel or celsio cards that are supported under macos?

Thank you

Got it! Thank you again for the feedback.

Assuming no intel or celsio cards that are supported under macos?

Thank you
I don’t know. I know actual iMac Pros have the Aquantia chipset inside. Someone else may be able to help regarding whether other manufacturers 10 gbps cards are supported on Mac.

I switched by mistake the hard drives slots (dual boot with windows) and it messed up the booting section by itself

I am back on initial drive position

Is there a easy way to display the boot option windows & hackintosh. Right now it boots by default into windows

Thank you

Back