Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Heyya @CaseySJ ... next time you're bored and want to test something, can you load up the Sony 4K camping video and export as 1080P HEVC in Quicktime and see what your GFX frequency is? Mine seems to max out at 0.15GHz, and I can't seem to figure out why that is...

Hi @CaseySJ thanks for this great guide. My system worked right away :)

I tried the wireless config and that worked great too. I have an Aquantia card in the last slot and that wasn't working with initial setup. When I took your 0.6.2 wireless config, it started working but Wifi stopped working. I noticed that there was a difference between 0.6.1 wireless config and the new config for SecureBootModel - the 0.6.1 config had Default as the value and the new config has Disabled.

So I have confirmed that (by changing back and forth between Disabled and Default) Wifi works with Default and Aquantia works with Disabled. Note that the Handoff and Continuity also don't work with Disabled.

I thought I'll share with the community and see if anybody else has also observed this behavior.

Ooh maybe there's better support in Big Sur? What value are you using for AAPL,ig-platform-id?
Thanks!
I use it in headless mode: 07009B3E per Dortania. Also, I ensure that the iGPU is enabled (not Auto) in the BIOS.

@CaseySJ Hi there, just to let you know that I tried to SSDT to disabled RP13 but same issue. It crashed/panicked at the same point unfortunately :)

Heyya @CaseySJ ... next time you're bored and want to test something, can you load up the Sony 4K camping video and export as 1080P HEVC in quicktime and see what your GFX frequency is? Mine seems to max out at 0.15GHz and I can't seem to figure out why that is...

Are you using igfxfw=2 in boot arguments as described here?

Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 3.22.20 AM.png

Hi @CaseySJ thanks for this great guide. My system worked right away :)

I tried the wireless config and that worked great too. I have an Aquantia card in the last slot and that wasn't working with initial setup and when I took your 0.6.2 wireless config, it started working but Wifi stopped working. I noticed that there was a difference between 0.6.1 wireless config and the new config for SecureBootModel - the 0.6.1 config had Default as the value and the new config has Disabled.

So I have confirmed that (by changing back and forth between Disabled and Default) Wifi works with Default and Aquantia works with Disabled. Note that the Handoff and Continuity also don't work with Disabled.

I thought I'll share with the community and see if anybody else has also observed this behavior.
Thanks for finding a problem and troubleshooting it as well. That is the habit I encourage everyone to adopt.
  • Are you running Catalina or Big Sur?
  • If Big Sur, have you tried the Aquantia patch (add to Kernel --> Patch) with SecureBootModel = Default?
Code:
Identifier = com.apple.driver.AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion
Comment = Enable Aquantia 10Gbps Ethernet
Find = 0F84C002 0000
Replace = 660F1F44 0000
Min Kernel = 20.0.0
Max Kernel = 20.99.99
Count = 1
  • This may be something to report to the Acidanthera team. Perhaps they can at least explain why SecureBootModel affects this.

Anyone fancy guiding me through the upgrade to 0.6.2 from 0.6.1 on a Vision G? ;)

Thanks for finding a problem and troubleshooting it as well. That is the habit I encourage everyone to adopt.
  • Are you running Catalina or Big Sur?
  • If Big Sur, have you tried the Aquantia patch (add to Kernel --> Patch) with SecureBootModel = Default?
Code:
Identifier = com.apple.driver.AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion
Comment = Enable Aquantia 10Gbps Ethernet
Find = 0F84C002 0000
Replace = 660F1F44 0000
Min Kernel = 20.0.0
Max Kernel = 20.99.99
Count = 1
  • This may be something to report to the Acidanthera team. Perhaps they can at least explain why SecureBootModel affects this.
What’s the issue here? If I understand it, is it that different values of SecureBootModel affects whether the Aquantia 10 gbps nic fires on in Catalina?

that might explain why my card stopped being detected in Catalina when I disabled securebootmodel. I thought it was just a Catalina bug since minkernel version in the patch is set to 20.0.0. hmmm. Makes you wonder if it isn’t an Opencore issue that necessitated the need for the patch in Bug Sur in the first place.

I can say that a thunderbolt-based Aquantia nic doesn’t need the patch in Big Sur. It’s only the pcie nic that needs the patch.

I’ve moved on from Catalina on my hack, and I don’t have any problems in Big Sur. so I’m just curious.

Last edited:
Back