Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

I can't thanks @CaseySJ enough for writing such detailed guide, it makes my first experience with hackintosh much easier. I have exactly same hardware and get the Big Sur installed with one try - thanks again

I just only have one problem with sleep / wake up, that if I leave the mac for a while I can't get it wake up again even if I use the power button. Is this a problem that I can fix ?
Hello @nghesi,

Glad to hear it and welcome to the forum. Good job on success-at-first-try! :)

Regarding wake-from-sleep:
  • What devices are connected to the F_USB internal USB 2 headers?
  • Are you using a WiFi/BT PCIe card? If so, which make/model?
  • Are you using a Bluetooth mouse or keyboard? If so, which make/model?
  • What is the make/model of your monitor?
  • Are you using HDMI or DisplayPort cable? Are you using any video adapters such as DP to HDMI or DP to DVI, etc.?
  • Are there any other PCIe devices in the system other than AMD RX 580 and WiFi/BT card?

Hi @CaseySJ, I am building pretty same build and have two questions.

1. I have Vega 56 and Vega 64, should they work out of the box or I should do something with your EFI files?
2. I have purchased BCM94360CSAX WiFi+BT card and WiFi+BT PCI-E Adapter. If I have understand you right, you are using WiFi dongle for WiFi. What steps should I do your config to make it work my PCI-E adapter and BCM94360CSAX card?

Thanks in advance
Hello @ArnasL,

The Vega 56 and 64 will work out of the box with no changes to EFI. But if you experience erratic fan behavior, it may be necessary to apply custom fan and power control properties as detailed here.

I have the Fenvi FV-T919, which is a PCIe add-in-card. It's installed in the bottom short slot so if you install your card in the same slot it won't be necessary to change Device Properties (OpenCore Configurator --> DeviceProperties).

Hi all,
do you anybody here have issue with Netflix + Safari 14? (Latest Catalina 10.15.7 + OpenCore 0.6.1)

Apple TV+ works, Netflix at Chrome works but Safari, when media comes to play, sends me to help page,
for installation correct version HTML5 or Silverlight player (Netflix Error M7121-3078).

Is it issue of Safari or something in OpenCore? Or my configuration?

Thank you for adwise ...

This is great! I am so happy!

@CaseySJ thank you so much for all your help!

Hello again @CaseySJ!
I performed a clean install using iMacPro1,1 and everything went smoothly as with my previous install. But this time, I experienced problems waking up from Sleep. After touching the Magic Trackpad, the system came alive but my Magic Keyboard didn’t connect and also the Magic Trackpad lost its connection.

I then pressed the reset button and after it rebooted, I get the message OCB - System Image Failed. I tried to reboot twice with the same failure.

So, I tried to reboot again but this time, I connected a USB keyboard and mouse and it worked.

I’m wondering if Sleep functionality is different if you use iMacPro1,1 and iMac19,1?
Also, is it safe to use the Reset button or will that corrupt the boot image?
Thanks!

Thanks for quick response. Why you choose Fenvi FV-T919 versus apple macbook wifi+bt card? Is it better or what else pushed u to this decision?

I also just now noticed that you are not recommending to choose Samsung EVO NVMe ssds. So thanks god I can cancel my order and change it. Currently now on my hack I am using 2x ADATA SX8200 Pro 512GB (one for WIN, one for OS X). But now I facing strange behavior: with blackmagic speed test or Trim Enabler test I get very low write speeds in 3rd test loop. So I am afraid that on my new hack this issue will persists. I also read here someone is using theses SSDs and have no problems. So what do you think about these SSDs and my situation? (I don't have option to buy Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe).

Therefore I just wondering how I should migrate from one hack to new one. Now I have Mojave, but I want to upgrade it to Big Sur. Recently I have changed from Clover to Opencore bootloader and wondering several migration scenarios:
1. Update current hack to Big Sur and clone my OS X ssd to new one. Upload your EFI and all should work?
2. Clone current Mojave SSD to new one and upload your EFI, then update to Big Sur on new hack
3. Follow your guide with clean Big Sur OS X installation and then upload all data from Time Machine backup made on current hack / or I have option to make time machine backup on real mac.
3. P.S. Last time when I restored all data from Time Machine backup (made with real mac) I now have WiFi icon in status bar and it says: Wi-Fi: No hardware installed. And I also tried to make WiFi working with Intel CVNI patch from here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/designare-z390-intel-cnvi-9560-bluetooth-partial-success.278116/ and I have partially succeed. I get WiFi working but it speed was 4-5 times slower then Windows WiFi and in WiFi Status bar I still had same warning Wi-Fi: No hardware installed. and don't see any WiFi's. But in System Preferences -> Network I see another Ethernet connection added and one is actually WiFi connection. So what do you think about this bug? How should I act to avoid same problem in new hack?
Good questions. Here are some replies:
  • The Fenvi FV-T919 is plug-and-play compatible with macOS. So no need to buy two components and connect them together (e.g. BCM94360 module and PCIe1 x1 adapter).
  • All NVMe SSDs will slow down as temperature rises. Please see AnandTech article on NVMe SSDs linked below. You will find that ADATA SX8200 Pro is amazing even when compared to PCIe 4.0 SSDs.
  • Mojave will not work on Z490 Vision D. It will not boot.
  • You may upgrade from Mojave to Big Sur on your Z390i AORUS Pro and then move that SSD to the Z490 Vision D, but with the EFI from this build guide.
  • However, I would strongly recommend clean fresh installation of Big Sur on the Z490 Vision D and then manually transfer your files to the new system (just use Finder to copy all files to the new system). Because Z490 Vision D has threeNVMe SSD slots, you could temporarily install the Z390i AORUS Pro SSD into the Vision D in order to copy files to the new Big Sur SSD.
    • Also reinstall your applications one by one.
    • If you will continue using the old Z390i AORUS Pro, then you will need to create new serial numbers for the Z490 Vision D. And your applications may need to be re-licensed.

OpenCore 0.6.2 is out ...
I've downloaded the entire suite of Acidanthera packages that were updated today. However, I'm waiting for OpenCore Configurator to be updated for 0.6.2 Release Build. At this time it does not support some new features such as Min/Max kernel for CpuId/CpuMask and ExtendBTFeatureFlags.

I've downloaded the entire suite of Acidanthera packages that were updated today. However, I'm waiting for OpenCore Configurator to be updated for 0.6.2 Release Build. At this time it does not support some new features such as Min/Max kernel for CpuId/CpuMask and ExtendBTFeatureFlags.

FWIW I’ve got 0.6.2 up and running and it is as smooth as it always is :)
Also: first time trying deduplicatebootorder quirk with bootprotect = bootstrap and it’s lovely; it removes the efi’s parent drive from the boot list leaving only ‘Open Core’ and any other bootable EFIs found by the scan policy.

However, I would strongly recommend clean fresh installation of Big Sur on the Z490 Vision D and then manually transfer your files to the new system (just use Finder to copy all files to the new system).

Do you recommend doing this for those upgrading from Catalina 10.15.7 to Big Sur when it releases?

Do you recommend doing this for those upgrading from Catalina 10.15.7 to Big Sur when it releases?
Fortunately a simple in-place upgrade is sufficient for moving from Catalina to Big Sur.

Back